SEN (Radio)

Turning around 2DAY.

It’s been #1, there’s an expectation as an original FM station, it will be a successful station.

With SEN, they’ve never been close to #1 and knowing how poorly MSR fared in every market, SENQ will be no better.

Pat Welsh and Ian Healy could give away $1000 to every caller and it wouldn’t move the survey share to anything remotely competitive.

General talk stations in Brisbane suffer enough after breakfast as it is; SENQ will struggle to capture their desired share of the target audience.

8 Likes

Hutchy on his own could be overseeing the expedited death of AM radio in Australia

5 Likes

Absolutely. That’s what I think.

3 Likes

Has anyone seen the actual weekday line up for SENQ

Rhetorical?

If not, yes it was posted.

1 Like

Yeh. Saw that article. But can’t see the time slots.

1 Like

Probably the same as they are now - most of those announced are already either on 1170 in Sydney (Cam + Denan, Belcher + Sattler on Sportsday, Katie Brown on Fridays) and/or (in Pat + Heals’ case) on the Gold Coast and SEN Track Brisbane stations.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they put in a QLD-local drive and possibly a local Saturday morning show as they’ve done regionally - but likewise that I suspect the line-up outside drives will basically be Sydney’s. Although maybe this is where someone like Ben Davis (currently Seven Brisbane sport but also ex-4BC drive so has the radio experience) could fill a slot much like they did with Matt White, though if he’s staying at Seven you’d have to think it’d be no later than the mid-morning slot.

They know they have to play up the QLD factor regardless though (hence the different brand and only focusing on their QLD stars); even if some are on 1170 already they can’t look like they’re driving half of it from Sydney.

SEN don’t put up a weekly schedule anymore and they haven’t put anything in their media releases section of their site, so I guess it could be a case of waiting until Thursday for this page to tick over.

1 Like

Looks like from that picture he is joining SENQ ? (pictured on the far right)

1 Like

If he’s doing that, great - I’m not a local so I wasn’t sure what he role was (apparently he’s only a fill-in at Seven beyond his reporting) - although serving several masters doesn’t seem entirely odd these days in the sport journalism industry so I wouldn’t be surprised if he kept doing that while doing his SEN role, especially when the latter is likely to be only Mon-Thurs (as they do different shows on Friday).

1 Like

Now SEN is heading to Canberra on 1323. Who did it bump off for that spot on the dial?

2 Likes

Star Country i belive

5 Likes

A narrowcaster called Star Country.

4 Likes

Although it officially starts in Canberra tomorrow, they had it listed in the station listing for the NRL Nation Blues Radio call of Origin last night. I didn’t notice in time to check last night.

However, I’ve just checked and can confirm 1323 here in Canberra is already running SEN Track content. Currently the same program as running on SEN Track Sydney’s webstream.

3 Likes

So Star Country just ceases to exist now? SEN wouldn’t have any DAB capacity in Canberra to offer them to stay on air?

I suppose Star just took the money and ran, which if it was a good offer is fair enough I guess.

3 Likes

I’m sure they could probably pay Capital Radio for some DAB space as well.

Nice timing on SEN Track Canberra given the renewed push to end government funding of ACT racing. Then again, I’m not sure how extensive SEN Track’s rights are for racing in the first place? Every time I’ve flipped past it they seem to be talking about the racing, rather than taking a live call?

I suppose to some extent that makes sense - have the TV on showing the race on Sky/Racing-com but then listen to chatter about form guides and the like?

1 Like

Yeh. It’s a hard concept to grasp. But I like to have a casual bet and watch the races. Have tried it with these guys and turned sound down on sky 1 and it’s actually a pretty fun experience. Have a bet. Have a laugh. They often have good tips but it depends on the day. It’s very niche tho.

3 Likes

In preparation for Friday’s switch on of SENQ 693AM in Brisbane, the Breakfast show with Pat Welsh and Ian Healey has now extended to 3 hours from 6am to 9am. It looks like the schedule will generally resemble that of SEN Gold Coast, with the likely addition of some new Queensland based programs.

3 Likes

The competition will be on break for the tournament

1 Like

Could we see SEN Fanatic NSW and Queensland arrive at the same time SENQ launches on the 693 AM Frequency from Friday?

1 Like