SEN (Radio)

There’s even a live local Gippsland sports show on SEN Track Latrobe Valley on Saturday morning too I noticed a few weeks ago.

3 Likes

I knew about the Eastern Football League coverage on SEN Fanatic but that dates back to the days when it was still called SEN+ and on the 3MP frequency - it’s in its fourth year now. Presumably once that was converted to the interim home of SEN Track and then sold off, they needed a new broadcast home.

I know the passion around district footy in Melbourne can be bigger than those north of the border like me can understand, though the question is definitely “what’s in it beyond exposure?”. And covering second-tier Latrobe football (TRFM has the big-town Gippsland senior league)? I guess there’s still chance to spread their word in smaller communities like that…

The Queensland Cup coverage is new to me. The intent apparently was to put it on the Gold Coast station (which is a weird mishmash of stuff right now) as well as on SENQ as an app station - but surely they’ll be demoting it to an app stream once 693 starts in earnest… surely? Though at least it’s not the only media co covering it, Nine covers a Sunday early-arvo game on TV each week, much like Fox League and Nine cover a NSW Cup game each. Not like district Aussie Rules that would end up on Channel 31 at best.

Strange it was playing in Sydney, unless there’s a natural gap in their Saturday coverage (or 2GB is claiming extra exclusive games or something), but I didn’t think they had that gap.

I guess he gave SEN Track a little bit of seriousness among all the dribble, but to be honest I’m surprised he stayed 18 months. Will certaiinly be hard pressed to replace him, it’s not exactly like they have the Sky/TAB factory line that 2KY could easily draw on when they had to put new people in.

Yeh. The SEN Track concept is interesting. Without Bensley all they really have is their live tipping shows.

[quote=“Spi, post:2144, topic:210”]
what’s in it beyond exposure?
[/quote]it probably doesn’t cost SEN much. I’d imagine the leagues already have the people to commentate (either volunteers or paid a small amount by the league) and are keen to get a broadcast out to the “fanatics”. And for their part, SEN get a few more people to listen to their ads. It’s almost a marketing exercise - the audience might be small but they’re the exact people who will continue listening at other times and SEN needs.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/senq693-reveals-lineup-for-new-brisbane-sports-radio-station/news-story/82271dfa6a2b99929533dda766cffd6e

SENQ 693AM Line-up announcement in todays Courier Mail.

SEN will launch its dedicated 24/7 sports station under the radio frequency SENQ693 on July 1, kicked off by breakfast duo Ian Healy and Pat Welsh.

Chief executive Craig Hutchison said the array of talent signed up by SEN was some of the Sunshine State’s biggest names in the industry.

Mr Hutchison said the cast included Pat and Heals, plus Cameron Smith, Denan Kemp, Vanessa Gibson, Ben Davis, Alissa Smith, Gary Belcher, Scott Sattler and Katie Brown.

Mr Hutchison paid tribute to 4KQ but said the station was all about sport.

“We have enormous respect for 4KQ and the unbelievable contribution they have made to Australian radio, however our product is sport and we can’t wait to launch,” Mr Hutchison said.

He said a few positions had been kept on in the rebranding and said a raft of new Queenslanders were set to join the cast in coming weeks.

Noting that Vanessa Gibson is the current 4KQ Breakfast newsreader, and seemingly the only on-air talent that will be moving over to SEN.

6 Likes

What’s harder?

Rescuing/fixing 2DayFM?

Or being behind the scenes at SENQ thinking this will all work out in the end?

4 Likes

Turning around 2DAY.

It’s been #1, there’s an expectation as an original FM station, it will be a successful station.

With SEN, they’ve never been close to #1 and knowing how poorly MSR fared in every market, SENQ will be no better.

Pat Welsh and Ian Healy could give away $1000 to every caller and it wouldn’t move the survey share to anything remotely competitive.

General talk stations in Brisbane suffer enough after breakfast as it is; SENQ will struggle to capture their desired share of the target audience.

8 Likes

Hutchy on his own could be overseeing the expedited death of AM radio in Australia

5 Likes

Absolutely. That’s what I think.

3 Likes

Has anyone seen the actual weekday line up for SENQ

Rhetorical?

If not, yes it was posted.

1 Like

Yeh. Saw that article. But can’t see the time slots.

1 Like

Probably the same as they are now - most of those announced are already either on 1170 in Sydney (Cam + Denan, Belcher + Sattler on Sportsday, Katie Brown on Fridays) and/or (in Pat + Heals’ case) on the Gold Coast and SEN Track Brisbane stations.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they put in a QLD-local drive and possibly a local Saturday morning show as they’ve done regionally - but likewise that I suspect the line-up outside drives will basically be Sydney’s. Although maybe this is where someone like Ben Davis (currently Seven Brisbane sport but also ex-4BC drive so has the radio experience) could fill a slot much like they did with Matt White, though if he’s staying at Seven you’d have to think it’d be no later than the mid-morning slot.

They know they have to play up the QLD factor regardless though (hence the different brand and only focusing on their QLD stars); even if some are on 1170 already they can’t look like they’re driving half of it from Sydney.

SEN don’t put up a weekly schedule anymore and they haven’t put anything in their media releases section of their site, so I guess it could be a case of waiting until Thursday for this page to tick over.

1 Like

Looks like from that picture he is joining SENQ ? (pictured on the far right)

1 Like

If he’s doing that, great - I’m not a local so I wasn’t sure what he role was (apparently he’s only a fill-in at Seven beyond his reporting) - although serving several masters doesn’t seem entirely odd these days in the sport journalism industry so I wouldn’t be surprised if he kept doing that while doing his SEN role, especially when the latter is likely to be only Mon-Thurs (as they do different shows on Friday).

1 Like

Now SEN is heading to Canberra on 1323. Who did it bump off for that spot on the dial?

2 Likes

Star Country i belive

5 Likes

A narrowcaster called Star Country.

4 Likes

Although it officially starts in Canberra tomorrow, they had it listed in the station listing for the NRL Nation Blues Radio call of Origin last night. I didn’t notice in time to check last night.

However, I’ve just checked and can confirm 1323 here in Canberra is already running SEN Track content. Currently the same program as running on SEN Track Sydney’s webstream.

3 Likes