SEN (Radio)

First day of SENQ 693AM program guide:

12am - 6am Countdown to 693 SENQ Launch
6am - 9am Breakfast with Pat and Heals
9am onwards replicates the same programing as SEN Sydney including 5pm NRL Nation commentary between Gold Coast Titans and Newcastle Knights.

Both Breakfast and the NRL game will be simulcast on both 693 AM and the existing 1053AM SENTrack frequency.

3 Likes

Is 1053 AM a lot weaker in Brisbane? 1539 AM is a lot weaker in Sydney compared to 1170 AM. Its a shame they are just mostly simulcasting with Sydney. They may as well put the cricket on at 2:30 pm.

1 Like

Yes it is. 500 watts vs 5,000 watts for 693, plus cops a lot of night time interference from 2CA Canberra.

3 Likes

693 is even stronger than that at 10kw daytime.

3 Likes

They have call rights for Victorian harness and dogs, likely worked through those bodies themselves (although I wouldn’t be surprised if the rights fees were “certain amount of contra sufficient”) - that’s basically it.

Besides, no calls means more time to talk about the betting - keeping the rotating sponsors happy I’m sure. :moneybag:

Melbourne Cup carnival rights are sold separately by the VRC (these presumably being sub-licensed from 10 - Sky is in the same boat), but that is treated as a mainline SEN thing so that doesn’t really count. Even so, in the last couple of years they’ve had Gerard Whateley call it rather than take the main call.

Hard to know what radio rights are actually available when they’d basically have to get them from their relevant competitor - either Tabcorp, who is never going to be an advertiser there, or Racing Victoria who has the same advertising strategy as Track for Racing.com, but also runs RSN now.

Though it is a step backwards from pre-Track in terms of live rights; during Saturdays in summer 1116 would licence the RSN call of the Melbourne Saturday meet during their afternoon show.

1 Like

In Brisbane 693 and 1053 are a simulcast atm.

1 Like

That’s going to be the case for breakfast normally - breakfast is simulcast on both main-SEN and Track in Sydney and Melbourne too, at least until 8am when Bensley takes over.

That show doesn’t run on Friday so it appears they simulcast until 9am in all markets - and I guess the future of leaving the simulcast early depends on what happens to Andrew Bensley’s show once he’s gone.

1 Like

And I guess the answer about Ben Davis and whether his role could co-exist with his role at Seven is (according to this Radioinfo article): he appears to only be doing one day a week (Monday mornings after breakfast) at SENQ.

I guess that means they’ll at least get some QLD talent book-ending the week in that slot (Cameron Smith being claimed as “local” but that show goes to Sydney too).

Saturday is pretty much as per Sydney apart from not taking a couple of Sydney-specific programs in the early morning. They are taking the Queensland Cup rugby league at 5.30pm (as per this year’s contract) but SEN Sydney will be simulcasting that too, as some had found out in previous weeks.

Seems kinda daft that they would only be taking one NRL game (the 7.30 slot is AFL: Gold Coast vs Collingwood) and especially having to miss Broncos v Cowboys at 5.30 in favour of the QLD Cup match - NRL Nation will probably be on the app instead. To not let your station start with a bang with a Broncos match (and a QLD derby at that) out of the blocks seems like a missed opportunity but :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

In terms of the last part of your post RE Broncos Vs Cowboys, that will be a rights thing. Only permitted to do so many games a weekend.

Does anyone know what SENQ’s open line number is reference to?

1300 421 533

At least 1116SEN and 1170SEN have their frequency in their number.

Or is this SEN Gold Coast’s frequency?

3 Likes

As an FYI no sign of 693 SENQ in the SEN App.

It’s there. You might need to close and restart the app to refresh the station list. But SENQ has been around for ages as a digital only station (which has now become 693) so I can’t see why it wouldn’t be there.

1 Like

unrelated, but it’s missing from the Digital Radio Plus site, 4KQ was there last night.

https://www.digitalradioplus.com.au/listen.aspx?region=Brisbane

1 Like

I think they’ve nailed the branding. Uniquely Queensland maroon coloured with a stylised ‘Q’. Better than duplicating the 1170 and 1116 style logo.

However time will tell with the actual program schedule. If they network too much from Sydney then I’ll reserve my judgement.

2 Likes

It’s there now. Thank you.

1 Like

Which is a breach of HPON as despite many of us predicting it won’t be popular, the programming is clearly commercial and not limited appeal narrowcasting.

ACMA sure to allow it as Ace are allowed QN on a HPON.

SEN hold commercial licences and seemingly administrative immunity from ACMA sanctions for HPON breaches.

If you’re Paul Makin in Port Douglas with commercial on a HPON, watch out, Coastal Broadcaster and SCA demand ACMA force change to their format yet it’s ok for SEN. Why?

2 Likes

Qld content director is Jason Matthews and Sam Thompson nationally? They both have chequered track records. Some success, some non success.

I listened to a bit of the end of breakfast and the start of the Matty Johns Show on Friday morning. Breakfast sounded pretty good, some good interviews and good guests for a ‘first’ day. But Matty Johns and co were way too NSW from first impressions. Firstly no acknowledgement straight up that they were going into QLD now, then all NSW-perspective talk which during origin time really jarred (they spoke with Greg Alexander I think and a journo from the SMH - sounded all Sydney Sydney Sydney straight up).

Hot tip for the Victorians running the show - you won’t win many friends (or listeners) barracking for the Blues here in Brisbane. Hutchy and co are going to have to be very careful how they program the SENs in the rugby league states if they want to be a success.

7 Likes

I doubt anyone has told Matty Johns about SENQ. He’s only there on Fridays.

1 Like

SEN might have bitten off more than they can chew with buying 4KQ, at least Brisbane seems to be standing up for what they love & support, while other cities seemed to have rolled over & not pushed back.

SENQ are getting smashed & run out of town on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SENQLD/posts/pfbid0urpzJqcSWrH3tVoafKDSf39npsFVntKgYnasFGJAH36NQipcRYUmWERJVTRoCmXAl

Fair chance they’ll rate an * or just above in future ratings, beating 2CH/SEN Sydney to the bottom, probably taking a dive faster than any Caralis station ever has too.

8 Likes