SEN (Radio)

$12m for 4KQ.

That’s $1m for every point lost in the survey once SENQ launches.

4 Likes

How is that SEN’s fault? Again (and this has already been stated several times) ARN had to sell the station due to government regulations. If anything ARN could have offered them alternative roles with the remaining stations.

3 Likes

Huh? Because SEN are the ones changing the format and actually sacking the staff. ARN are not blameless but ultimately it is the new owners SEN blowing up the station and sacking the staff.

4 Likes

:roll_eyes:

They say hate is a wasted emotion so I’ll leave you to your SEN loathing and count down to 4KQ forever leaving the airwaves…

2 Likes

Has it officially got approved yet the buyout of 4KQ?

Cool. You do you.

2 Likes

Anyway, for anyone interested SEN has test cricket from tonight- England vs New Zealand. On 1116 whenever AFL doesn’t clash and likewise on 1170 when NRL doesn’t clash.

This is the sort of content that should attract listeners, at the very least it certainly should make for better listening than a lot of their regular programming.

8 Likes

I totally agree, this is a reason why I like SEN when they bring the live cricket from abroad. No other radio station has done this in the past.

4 Likes

memories of growing up in the Goulburn Valley in the 80s and relying on the BBC World Service on shortwave to hear bits and pieces of live cricket from England (apart from the Ashes which was heard on ABC Radio).

5 Likes

“Note even Brandy can rescue SEN”
Page 45, Sunday Telegraph this morning

1 Like

Sorry…“Not”

Gerard absent from SEN and AFL Nation this weekend due to calling the Haney v Kambosos fight for Main Event.

1 Like

I must be too old fashioned. When i was in commercial radio we chased ratings and targeted audience growth strategies accordingly. SEN fans are saying ratings don’t matter … its all about the “synergies” and “other platforms” etc. I guess time will tell. Having paid 12m for 4KQ … SEN will be needing a lot of “synergies”. Seems actual human listeners are of no real concern these days from some “licence operators” like SEN (as opposed to passionate radio owners who had a real feel for the radio) …

4 Likes

SEN is like the Ten of radio, they do not necessarily want total people, that just adds unnecessary cost to their client’s campaigns, they want key demographics that will (hopefully) loyally attract the specific dollars they are after. They want a segment of the market that they think will deliver them a piece of the cake and profitability.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Herald Sun reports that the AFL has pulled its community umpiring development manager Brenton Sanderson off the airwaves. Sanderson (former Crows coach) had been doing a weekly strategy segment on Gerard Whateley’s morning show as well as being part of SEN’s match-day team, but now the league says he needs to focus on his full-time job.

2 Likes

Good. I have personally thought it was a very serious conflict of interest to be talking about contentious umpiring decisions.

1 Like

Also a lot of mediocre talent at the stations. Have you heard the news bulletins? Many journo grads in regional radio sound better than a supposed metro newsroom.

2 Likes

Correct @Brianc68.

14 ARN staff considered KQ staff and forced to look for work. The agreement doesn’t allow them to take a lesser job for internal redeployment, so it’s likely all will be made redundant.

4 Likes

SEN has not changed the Melbourne 3AK and Sydney 2CH call-signs, so I can’t imagine it will change 4KQ.

8 Likes