2CH Sydney

He did an ad too, asking people to come listen on 2UE. At least SEN is ok with this. Giving them some credit for this.

The DAB audio is dropping here and there. I noted it on SEN the other day too. Not sure if anyone else noticed.

2 Likes

Here is the radio today article

2 Likes

Good one. Here are some other potentials:

Captain & Tennille- Do That To Me One More Time
ABBA- Money Money Money
Frank Sinatra- That’s Life
John Fogerty- Mr. Greed
10CC- Dreadlock Holiday (I don’t like cricket…)
Pseudo Echo- Don’t Go

4 Likes

Trying to find anti-sports songs. Dreadlock holiday the lyrics say I don’t like cricket, We love it.

There must be a song sung on not liking sports that could fit 4KQ / 2CH formats… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

abba thank you for the music is a good last song for both 2ch and 4kq

2 Likes

Sad day for radio, but 2CH isn’t entirely dead, technically 2CH is only a format change, yes 2CH isn’t going to be used on air & it’s not a Classic Hits or Oldies music station any longer, but the licence holder is still Radio 2CH Pty. Ltd. & the official ACMA Callsign for 1170 is still 2CH.

If at some time in the future SEN wake up & realise they made a mistake & SEN sport on 1170 in Sydney just doesn’t pay the bills, there’s nothing stopping a new buyer changing back to a music format & IDing as 2CH once more.

4KQ may be a different situation though, currently ARN is the licencee, so the owner will become SEN, & we’re yet to see if the 4KQ callsign stays or SEN change it?

5 Likes

True @RFBurns . 2UE came back eventually, so did 2SM.

2GO, 2KO. 2XL,2UW ,2KA may all come back however i think most of those old brands now being on FM means those brands are unlikely to come back (with the original lic not an online station or narrowcast) . Stations tend to change brand permanently once going FM for some reason. The old branding might hang around a bit then disappear forever.

2 Likes

2GO, 2KO, 2XL might make a comeback especially 2GO & 2KO if they ever leave the SCA network, it’s highly unlikely they’ll stay as Triple M when they have no association with SCA.

2UW has a different callsign now (2WFM), so no link there any longer to take them back to 2UW or 2UW FM, but the callsign is close & partially related so who knows.

2KA probably won’t come back unfortunately (as a commercial station on 96.1), it’s more likely to go back to being ONE FM as the CADA callsign is still 2ONE.

1 Like

In theory yes they could wake up or sell to someone who might try to resurrect 2CH or 4KQ as music stations, but my opinion is once an AM music station is killed it’s very, very hard (if not impossible) to resurrect.

2 Likes

There’s always JPY - I Hate The Music. :smile:

2 Likes

It will also be a sad day when CFZM 740 “Zoomer Radio” Toronto leaves the airwaves (which I hope will be a few more years yet) - one of the last bastions of AM music radio which is still popular and still blasting out 50kw day and night power across eastern North America.

2 Likes

I’ll have to check that one out.

1 Like

I wouldn’t exactly agree with that, you don’t have to look any further than 2UE Sydney, it’s now a AM music station again & doing reasonably well.
2UE hasn’t been an AM music station since the mid 1980’s, it changed to talk & went to number 1 as talk, then there was the failed Talking Lifestyle format & then the Macquarie Sports Radio debacle, now it’s gone back to it’s roots as AM Music 2UE.

2 Likes

Yeah running a music station is easier than talk if Bill retires my guess 2sm will be music again. In some ways I think traditional openline talkback is dieing. It’s too risky. Talking lifestyle seems to be the go, with sports talkback. 2gb is becoming more like this. There is lot less open line now, with any topic type of thing.

1 Like

2CH’s greatest insult in recent times was actually one of the pic’s showing staff with cup cakes celebrating their 90th Birthday…taken with Melbourne based staff, from the SEN studios in South Melbourne. Then there was the other pic with a lonely Timmy Webster holding a lonely cup cake. Just put the old girl out of her misery and get on with your Yeah/No’s.

3 Likes

Listening to 2CH on the Last Day on the Phone, gonna miss it, There’s even a Promo by 2UE Inviting 2CH Listeners to come over.

4 Likes

Though I think the narrator may have been threatened by some Caribbean drug thugs to say that he loves cricket :smiley: In that case it perhaps is even more appropriate.

The Sports- Who Listens To the Radio?

Might be an existential pick…

2 Likes

Final song needs to be Its Over either Roy or Jeff’s. Here is Jeff’s version

That is extremely unique for 2CH & Sports Entertainment Network to allow for ads promoting the competitor 2UE.

3 Likes

Haha… Yeah maybe a good one for the Congo Line today :slight_smile: