SEN (Radio)

Which SEN are you talking about?

1 Like
  1. The og.
1 Like

I was listening to 1170 they donā€™t carry the AFL. 2SM take the AFL.

2 Likes

Iā€™m actually not surprised. So that would have been the end of their NRL Crunch Time show, switching over to their NRL Nation coverage proper at 2pm (to lead into the first game at 3).

In SEN land, especially, thatā€™s definitely planned as a hard-out point - and with no news, theyā€™d take in 4 minutes of ads before the NRL coverage proper starts on the hour. (On weekdays itā€™s more typical that they fire off the ads a little early as the hard-out happens on the hour for news.)

Wouldnā€™t be surprised that they (planned or not) had to squeeze in another ad break before it.

Iā€™m tempted to say ā€œunluckyā€ given you caught the end of a long show but itā€™s enough of a common occurrence on SEN to say otherwise - they seem riddled with hard-out junctions on the weekend, what with so many combinations of programming within SEN itself (or so it seems), let alone others outside their network (like the Super Network stations taking NRL Nation and the ACE stations the southern equivalent).

Itā€™s even worse on SEN Track because of time zones, possibly some sponsored betting updates being pre-empted in some states, as well as some Track stations taking mainline SEN programs (eg. NSW/QLD regional stations taking the metro schedule between 5-7pm) and some live sport - all of which tends to use a hard-out junction, 90% of the time with ads tacked on.

3 Likes

Magnificent ratings from SEN Sydney 1170 for the latest survey 3 reported today ā€¦ 0.4 (down from 0.6 last survey). Oh yeah a really great connection from The Mexican SEN with Sydney listeners. Great use of heritage frequency AM 1170 to boot 2CH into the weeds (who was rating around 5.0 before the SEN takeover). I guess now BrisVegas can look forward to the same high quality SEN experience now that 4KQ has been flattened by the SEN crusher. What a joke SEN is north of the Yarra.

4 Likes

Oh so you are the One listening to 1170 SEN ā€¦ tsk tsk.

5 Likes

absolutely patheticā€¦canā€™t wait for them to go broke

3 Likes

We can only hope

2 Likes

Itā€™d be nice for ACE to then swoop in and purchase the SEN network IF they ever went broke.

Thatā€™d likely mean each market could have a Classic Hits AND Easy Music AM station (although Iā€™m unsure what theyā€™d do in Melbourne).

2 Likes

The would go Easy with 2CH and Classic Hits with 2UE. I could live with that. Iā€™d miss the international cricket on SEN, perhaps big bash will go back to the ABC.

2 Likes

I find the comments by some on here about wishing stations to go broke or shows being axed (TV or Radio) quite weird.

You may not like a particular show or station but there are a lot of good people who lose jobs whenever this happens.

7 Likes

12 MILLION is a crazy amount to pay for a station that is going to be essentially all but wound up prior to it launching as SEN 693. Take your rose colored glasses off when you talk about 2CH, it was struggling. Financially it was pretty dire for 2CH and that lead to EON having to off load it. As much as I understand the emotional attachment, SEN bought the station fair and square. I am sure there is not a bottomless pit with Hutchinson and his investors. ACE will be the winners out of this providing they mirror 4KQ onto 4BH. With 2UE they need to sniff the windā€¦it might just get there.

1 Like

Rossco I believe Hutchy has a picture of you on his office wall.

2 Likes

Yeah itā€™s getting tiresome isnā€™t it. Iā€™m not even a SEN listener but the whole ā€œI hate SEN because they took over my favourite stationā€ reeks strongly of an adolescent being told to clean up their room.

Iā€™m not a fan of SCA but I donā€™t wish bankruptcy upon them, I just highlight where I think they are going wrong.

14 Likes

exactly. I have family who works in TV production and his income relies on these shows. calling for cancellation is calling for job losses.

6 Likes

You canā€™t tell people how they should feel. Some people have real and personal attachments to stations like 4KQ. Yes we are in a free market but itā€™s also a regulated market and ultimately the spectrum belongs to the people. Your analogy with an adolescent tantrum is way off the mark.

People can wish for SEN to go broke if they want. Itā€™s a free country and it works both ways. By the way, I hope SEN go broke too.

4 Likes

If SEN go broke, Iā€™d rather it be on the basis their business model being built off gambling advertising revenue, especially their SEN Track stations. If they could build a station off the back of traditional advertisers, then no problem, but the nationwide network is built off unsustainable losses from problem gamblers.

Thatā€™s the only way you can afford to spend millions on stations with such tiny audiences, and it comes at a big cost to society.

While the Government canā€™t act to say ā€œweā€™d like some AM music stationsā€ - reforming gambling advertising on radio and eliminating the narrowcaster loopholes allowing commercial Horse Racing stations would be a good start.

At least most other AM stations are based on funeral home ads.

3 Likes

Then you are wishing people to lose there jobs. If you donā€™t like it then donā€™t listen. Thatā€™s fair. Wishing something to go broke and people to lose work is really sad.

2 Likes

Oh come on! What about the 4KQ staff out of jobs because of SEN! Thatā€™s what is REALLY sad donā€™t you think?

4 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s sad for them. Awful. Hopefully they find something else, all of them. Difference is Iā€™m not hoping for them to lose there jobs, wouldnā€™t wish that on anyone.

2 Likes