Saving Ten

Ten now says it will will use the funds to invest in entertainment programming that runs over the summer. CBS, which sensationally acquired Ten last year through insolvency proceedings, is also indicating that it is in for the long haul. "All of us at CBS are excited for Ten’s future. The creative energies and financial resources allocated to Cricket will be invested into new original programming that will further define Network Ten as a uniquely Australian free-to-air television network,” it said in a statement.

5 Likes

ESPN’s FA Cup contract expires this year. Wonder if Ten will look at it? Have a few games on FTA, the rest on all access.

Then put in a good blind bid for the Premier League and they’ve got a very strong European football platform to build on.

Only thing is fighting off Fox…

Optus paid $68 million a year for the EPL. Can’t see Ten being able to justify that.

Most EPL and FA Cup games are played between midnight-9am AEST. Not really useful for primetime schedules.

2 Likes

The only sport that Ten should consider investing in is NRL, AFL or Motorsport. Timezones in Super Rugby are unfavourable and it is cannibalised by NRL, A-League/NBL are too niche. Events like Sydney to Hobart, Tour Down Under are only 2-day non-primetime events in summer non-ratings. Hardly appealing. I do think though that something like the NBA (or NFL) could be worth looking at. 1 NBA game a day plus a highlights show could do well.

Ten should differentiate themselves from the others by investing in drama, sitcoms and other entertainment shows. Look at Channel 4 in the UK. Big Brother and an original Aussie drama could work well for Ten over the summer, it’s time to experiment.

Yes we know, but the Network need to fill airtime for the next 3-6 years until those rights come out to tender.

How I would hit the ground running in 2019.

Summer: After the cricket loss, aim to offer an alternative to those who don’t want to watch sport. Doesn’t matter whether it is Big Brother, or a new format - be different.

Primetime:

Keep the 5pm - 7:30pm line up as is - I think blocking up several news programs will be overkill.

Ten News at 10…EVERY NIGHT. The bulletin begins with a wrap up of each state’s local national story (Similar to The Project’s ‘Going Global’ segment). Then get in depth about a few international stories unless something major has happened at home. After the first ad break the focus shifts back local and goes through some of them, then possibly get some relevant talent in to talk about the crux of the issue/or the basis of the research etc… (Not like Sunrise Hot Topics which just grabs any radio jock - get uni academics, politicians).

To help make the consistent timeslot easier, give Shaun Micallef his own nightly show at 9.30pm. Pre-record it a week ahead all at once. 30 mins short and simple. The first 5-10 minutes follow the format of Mad as Hell - satire the latest politics. Then, come back from an ad break with a special guest and interview, have some fun, get creative with a skit or some other segment/scenario dependant on who the guest is.

Other Ideas:
The Bachelor spinoff in paradise has worked well this year. Next year maybe a gay spinoff? Each year rotate through a series of spin offs to keep things interesting.

Ten’s latest investment into different comedy offerings has proven popular - maybe time to bring back Thank God You’re Here? Or even better, get Talkin’ Bout Your Generation off 9.

Mornings:
I’ve posted a mock for this but go with ‘The Morning Project’ from 6.30am - 8.30am weekdays. Or 6am - 8am and have Studio 10 from 8am - 11am.

MasterChef over Summer, at a later timeslot to accommodate the longer days.

Good one. I would like to see Hamish MacDonald, Gorgi Coghlan and Georgia Love host this every morning with local morning news inserts with a difference.

The Morning Project sounds like a good name, but personally I would like it to be named: Ten Eyewitness News: Morning Express (similar to the mock that @Travis did) so that it ties in with the news brand.

But MasterChef is currently filmed over summer. It’s not possible to show a new season of MC over summer unless it is either filmed during autumn/winter, or the broadcast is pushed back several months.

So film the show in Autumn/Winter then?

1 Like

Not going to work.

The latest politics runs the risk of being out of date hours later and will be positively stale and mouldy 5 days later.

3 Likes

I would just push HYBPA to five days a week instead, trim it down to half an hour.

Too much of a good thing.

1 Like

I highly doubt Working Dog are going to allow/handle that much of the show.

Blind Date has the potential to be stripped, if it’s fresh and funny. Nightly relationship drama seems to be flavour of the month. As far as I know it’s just a weekly show, probably replacing Show Me The Movie…

It could be an early Sunday evening show before MasterChef.

1 Like

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: Seven Tennis Coverage

Doing hybpa a whole week will kill the show. Once a week is great for you to be wanting more! Will be imteresting to see what they come up with at that time.

I would think repeats of Talkin’ Bout Your Generation (2009-2012) would help TEN, however Shaun Micallef will produce the revived show this year on the Nine network. The older format containing Amanda Keller, Charlie Pickering and Josh Thomas could be replayed during Saturday Nights.