Saving Ten

This may be what Ten could get back now that Seven carries the Tests. Why would you want your even shifted to a secondary channel when a FTA could have it on the main channel ?

Depends. It always starts during the lunch break of the test. If Seven wanted to keep the rights they could be innovative and take the race-start live (which is essentially all people care about) on the main channel with additional coverage on 7Mate or whatever.

2 Likes

Network TEN has gone from bad to worse. Firstly losing the Fox content and MASH, now the BBL. Channel 10 will have no other sport on during the summer ratings period. It will not be very good for the network. Channel 7 will have a lot of sport to handle during 2018-19 season. In my opinion, network ten will struggle in the non-ratings period 2018-19. They might finish 4th place.

MASH? Seriously?

7 Likes

I guess the Cricket is done. And you can’t blame Ten for this, it is Cricket Australia that decided to take the Foxtel/Seven deal over and above all other offers - even if Ten don’t rate well, they will offer alternative content - one can hope some of which will be better than the offerings prior to BBL

1 Like

:musical_note: Through early morning fog I see
Visions of Ten’s ratings to be …:musical_note:

1 Like

did someone say big brother.

Hotdog’s, 2019 is your year (again)!

3 Likes

Give up the MASH cries! IT DOESN’T MATTER!! :joy::joy:

One Idea that the Network needs to do, Live Musicals. One that hasn’t been on Screen Yet is the Critically Acclaimed Australian Made Hot Shoe Shuffle which David Atkins could Consider to Ten in making it a TV Event. Hot or What?

I could see that working on ABC or Seven, but I don’t really think it talks to Ten’s audience.

At the moment Ten doesn’t really have an audience. And these live musical specials have apparently done well overseas although I have not looked up for numbers.

4 Likes

Nine showed the US “Grease Live” in Feb 2016. It ranked 23rd with 435,000.

perhaps instead of showing US hand-me-downs, they do a locally produced one

3 Likes

Honestly, there are some pretty big shifts on the way when it comes to motorsport that could favour Ten.

Liberty Media the owners of F1 has started inserting clauses into their new contracts allowing them to offer the F1 TV OTT service in various countries.

This went down like a tonne of bricks in the US when NBC’s contract wound up, so F1 paid ESPN $0 to show it commercial free.

Given Fox Sports are big on exclusivity, I can’t see them standing for a service like that being introduced here. And Liberty Media have taken a non negotiable line on their streaming service.

So in 2022, would not be surprised if F1 ends up on FTA. Of course, the product will be vastly different by then.

At the same time, Formula E (the all-electric series) is growing in popularity and has had some cracking races. Ten currently show the odd highlight on one, maybe it might be something for them to look at broadcasting live.

Also Supercars are entering a big period of uncertainty. Their owners are winding up, meaning they’ll have a new owner in the next few years. Fox Sports have been slowly cutting back their supercars coverage (axing their panel show and onboard services). And the series itself is drifting in vision. The series will be very different when the rights come up in 2022.

3 Likes

Shows what happens when sports go behind paywalls!

what are your thoughts on the premier category in the world, aka MotoGP.

1 Like

It’s probably the best racing on TV week in week out, just how it’ll survive post-Rossi will be interesting.

That deal runs out at the end of the year (having been extended in 2016), and I believe Ten will definitely try and renew that deal, and maybe try and secure qualifying again.

I am surprised it hasn’t been bumped to the main channel in the absence of F1 yet…

Also there’s been a MotoGP streaming service for years, but it’s very pricey. Worth it for custom cameras and complete race archive.

3 Likes

Just FYI, I know Ten showed the first season of Formula E, but I haven’t seen it since the first season. As I think they suddenly just stopped showing it, same goes for Rugby 7s

I guess there aren’t enough races to justify live coverage. The Formula E schedule is still a mess. It’s a shame though, it’s smartly packaged and its been consistently entertaining. If the series does come to Australia (there have been rumours about Adelaide for years) Ten will probably have a gander.

It would be awesome if they got it again, but not as much as what they use to have. I would be more than just happy with quali and the race.

There have been races where they could’ve shown it live on main channel, as the first few are in the early hours of Monday morning.