Random TV History

6 Likes

It wasn’t unusual for sports commentators to refer to stations by callaigns when welcoming or farewelling audiences from certain markets whilst the broadcast may continue on for others. Over time the city names have taken over, by the late 1999s when this was, Peter Landy was a pretty old school broadcaster by then. Fred Stolle from Wimbledon and Chapoelli during the cricket were two I distinctly recall usually callsigns long after others had.

1 Like

Bruce McAvaney often mentions “we welcome our Adelaide viewers on SAS” during the Australian Open in the 1990s. And I was in Adelaide in 2015 the week SAS was celebrating its 50th birthday and in promoting their retrospective special openly referred to Adelaide Seven as SAS.

4 Likes

Given the 7/10 frequency swap there in 1987, there is probably a good reason for that - especially if they were covering the times before then when it was SAS10.

Given the 7 Perth (TVW) ownership of SAS during many of the “Ten” years, covering them might be a little safer for a retrospective than it might have otherwise been I imagine.

3 Likes

At the start of that TAS-TV startup, we see a single frame of a promo. Is this unrelated (ie. a different recording on the same home videotape) or was that on the feed? Did they take a metro feed overnight?

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s unrelated- perhaps a bad VHS edit. The station closed overnight in those days.

2 Likes

TVW-7 Perth PRG 1988

Source: Flemishdog

5 Likes

The rainbow logo looks pretty good in the PRG.

4 Likes

TVW used coloured PRG’s from 1987 onwards. There was a few coloured versions of the split Seven logo, first blue and then the dark gold one.

3 Likes

(I can’t post this in the Seven News thread, as I am limited to no more than 3 posts in a row).

Here’s Nov 4, 1985 episode of NewsWorld hosted by Laurie Wilson
(commercial for the first 5 mins, news program starts after that)

4 Likes

State based late news. Hard to believe we haven’t seen that for decades.

2 Likes

I believe HSV7 had local late edition right up until the 1987 take over.

1 Like

Also in the commercial break… HSV7 local current Affairs Show. Also axed in 1987 I believe.

3 Likes

But they had a local version of Today Tonight at least off and on through the 90s and 00s

1 Like

TVW-7 PRG 1986. Used to alternate with an animated Seven morphing out of the classification letters.

Source: Flemishdog

5 Likes

Who remembers when channel NINE’s cricket coverage wouldn’t be shown in full into the local market if the game wasn’t a sell out?

Also, live crosses to random horse races during the cricket coverage?

4 Likes

The fact that if Nine or Seven did late local news at 9/9.30 every night bang on time it would rate so well, and nobody does it baffles me.

2 Likes

Yes to the local blackouts, but i don’t recall the horse racing, ABC Radio used to do that all the time during the football and cricket and it would drive me mad!

1 Like

Certainly… usually got the last session of a test day in Sydney, or either two hours or the first innings of an ODI (depending on whether it was a D/N’er, usually the former if it was, 2.30-4.30 was typically shown).

Horse racing would have been an extension of the contracts they had to do the Sydney and Melbourne races on Saturday afternoons, during WWOS/Sports Saturday (Ken Callander’s coverage and all that).

Of course, crucially, this was before Sky Racing [original pay-TV edition] appeared on home Foxtel screens in 1998 - and not even all pub-TABs (and possibly a few standalone agencies) had Sky Channel, and would’ve been simply connected to 2KY/Sport 927/4TAB radio or equivalent.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ten News and Current Affairs