Random TV History

TCN also had 5.30pm-10pm on Sundays. I don’t understand why broadcast hours had to be so micro managed by the Government, maybe trying to emulate some British standard. Who knows?

2 Likes

The Geelong station would most likely have had a major influence over reginal television. Potentially buying out other reginal stations across the state and also interstate. And when aggregation was lunched in the late 80s, it most likely could have been its own reginal network in lieu of Prime, SCA or WIN.

1 Like

I see that Geelong was only rated at 14kW power compared to the majority of stations that were at 100kW. Probably why it was later determined that Melbourne’s signal would cover it.

Plus separate channels for Armidale, New England, Moree and Tamworth.

Moree didn’t even have a commercial radio station until 1957 so it’s a curious decision.

I think you have to take into account the power outputs for the various stations - Bathurst and Armidale both at just 1kw would have been just relays.

1 Like

They must not have realised the might of Mt Dowe! At 1500m ASL it provides great coverage across the North West.

2 Likes

I wonder what the absolute maximum is for both FM and TV for north and west from Mt Dowe? Could the signals go as far as Bourke? I know that the ABC FM stations from Mt Dowe can be heard in some parts of Sawtell.

In Britain in 2016, there was a crossover between Tipping Point and The Chase whereby three of the Chasers from the latter show (Anne Hegerty, Paul Sinha and Mark Labbett) participated on TP: Lucky Stars as contestants.

Mark Labbett eventually won £20,000 after sinking the Jackpot counter into the Win Zone in the final round. During one of the questions, he says “I’m the Australian chaser, I’ve been doing my homework!”. This is in reference to him being one of the Chasers on The Chase Australia.

1 Like

Article about David Johnston near his retirement.

4 Likes

Retired well before his time Johnno. Great Journo/presenter.

Has he been featured in anything recently (docos for past news events etc) haven’t seen him in a while.

2 Likes

He featured in a Seven News “flashback” segment a while back but it was about something non news related IIRC, i think they just had him for his recollection of said topic. It’s probably on youtube somewhere.

1 Like

Agree. Look it’s up to the individual but he could have gone another 5-6 years on the 4.30 News.

I even recall him stating that the 4.30 News was one of his finest achievements. Surprised he left in 2005.

Most members on here won’t even remember him :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve been trying to remember what that was for myself! From memory, he did look quite different. I just can’t remember what it was for - may have been after the death of someone? e.g. Bert Newton or similar.

I remember watching him on that bulletin a lot, he was a great reader. I remember that bulletin getting launched as the Iraq Updates as things were escalating in the Gulf prior to it turning into a proper bulletin and still remaining.

7 Likes

Station close of TNT-9 in Launceston

9 Likes

Intro to the broadcast of the 1988 Bicentennial Tall Ships race in Tasmania.

2 Likes

On watching various station closedowns/sign-offs from the 80s/90s, I’m curious as to how many had a live VO/announcer. Some have specifically mentioned technical difficulties etc which suggest they aren’t generic recordings.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Seven News and Current Affairs

I like that he mentioned the callsign.

3 Likes

Was there a reason for that?

3 Likes