Random TV History

From the archive.org website, some old ads that aired on NRTV circa 1992. At approx 13:53 is an NRTV News update. This is the only known bit of NRTV News from the 1990s available in cyberspace. 90s Ads NRTV : NRTV : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

8 Likes

Great find there!

I’ve never really been familiar with what NRTV did for news. Was it a composite local/national bulletin or was a local bulletin aired alongside Ten News? Also did all sub regions get NRTV news or was it only focussed on the ex-solus regions?

And I’m guessing that any local news at all was gone when it became Ten Northern in 1994(ish)?

1 Like

Back in the 1970s, the station relayed 7 National News from Sydney but for a couple of years from 1975, they relayed Eyewitness News from TEN10 before going back to the relay from ATN7 which lasted into the mid 1980s. Alongside it was a “rip and read” local news service before it developed into a full blown local bulletin with journos and camera crews. By the mid 1980s, they relayed National Nine News from TCN on weekdays and Ten News from TEN on weekends.

By the time aggregation came along, NRTV Evening News was a local/national/international bulletin with the two latter categories sourced from Ten and was shown across the viewing area but that got cut back to just being seen from the Gold Coast down to Kempsey by 1993. It became Ten News in 1994 when the NRTV branding was dropped, used its own graphics but had the Ten News theme music. It was all gone by February 1995. The studio where the news was produced out of is now storage room full of videotapes. The former main studio was being used occasionally for local TV commercials. Well, it was back in 2016, not sure if if still is now.

5 Likes

Yes, December 1992 is when “NRTV Evening News” with Peter Hanrahan stopped airing in Newcastle. That came as no surprise, as the bulletin was getting a 3% audience share here in Newcastle, waaay behind “NBN Evening News”. Prime Local News as full 30 minute bulletin didn’t start here until February 1993.

I saw the final bulletin, there was no farewell or acknowledgement that it would be the last one for Newcastle and North West markets.

5 Likes

What share did NBN get?

1 Like

Can’t remember exactly, but it was ALOT more than that!

Somewhere around 30% I think?

1 Like

And from memory, NRTV Evening News had a very basic opener done very much on the cheap. Given the financial state Northern Rivers Television was at the time, it would be no surprise.

2 Likes

Yes, the whole thing was done on the cheap… they only had one reporter based in Newcastle, Rebecca Skinner, who had reported for NBN News in previous years.

I also recall Peter Hanrahan reporting on NBN News in the mid-late 90s after the demise of NRTV/Ten News.

2 Likes

The presenter of the said NRTV News update (Christine Rudolph) is now a real estate agent in Brisbane

3 Likes

Full episode of Today Extra from 2001:

4 Likes

When was Today Extra finally axed? Didn’t WIN also have their own version during the 90s at 9am after the Today show?

1 Like

I think WIN had “WIN Today”

2007 IIRC.

2 Likes

2007 seems logical as that’s when Nine bought NBN.

That’s also when Nine’s Morning News was finally added to the NBN schedule.

1 Like

How long did WIN Today exist for?

1 Like

I think it was a Tassie-only thing? Wendy Kennedy hosted at one stage.

1 Like

The original long running morning show Tasmania Today on Tas-TV morphed into a ‘national’ show as WIN Today after aggregation with Wendy Kennedy travelling to locations in other license areas but I can’t put any dates around this.

2 Likes

Tasmania Today (ex TVT6) from perhaps ‘89 through to 1999 with hosts Robyn Martin, Alistair Matheson and Wendy Kennedy morphed into WIN Today at some point in the mid to late 90s. BTV6 had Weekdays on WIN during the mid 90s but was soon merged into WIN Today. I did work experience at WIN Hobart a week after the final taping of WIN Today in 1999.

It went on to become Destinations, a ‘regional’ travel show. Wendy Kennedy was host then Scott McRae in the early 2000s.

3 Likes

WIN loved their own “national” shows.

Who could forget ‘Susie’, hosted out of Wollongong by Susie Elelman, also networked to Adelaide and Perth which WIN owned at the time.

2 Likes

I don’t recall Win Today making it to Victoria.

2 Likes

That show was produced at the height of tensions between Nine and WIN over affiliation fees, and became a symbol of that time (along with Brady Bunch reruns and Yamba’s Playtime)

2 Likes