Ten News and Current Affairs

Sounds like that episode of Seinfeld when Kramer gets a new phone number and its very similar to the MovieFone number

2 Likes

What a nightmare period

1 Like

Interesting that 10 Adelaide still referred to their news as “Eyewitness” in 1990 when the other states had the Ten Evening News. Did they ever adopt the nationwide approach or did they stay Eyewitness News until the ownership change from Curran in 1995?

2 Likes

The affiliate stations like NEW10 Perth, ADS10 Adelaide and Capital didn’t always follow suit with the O&O stations. IIRC, Capital stayed with Ten News in 1989 even after the O&O Tens reverted to Eyewitness News with the change to 10 TV Australia. I thought ADS10, at least, later became Ten Evening News at least some time during the year.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Found a May/June 1987 Ten Eyewitness Newsbreak with Jennifer Keyte.
I can’t date it more precisely.

8 Likes

I’d say late April 1988.

1 Like

Jennifer Keyte had left Ten later in 1987 to start at Seven in 1988. Also Ten had changed to the X logo in 1988.

3 Likes

Ah, I misread Wikipedia.

Possibly May 10, 1987 (this article is from May 9 but that’s in America) https://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/09/us/courting-danger-the-fall-of-gary-hart.html

2 Likes

It amazes me how senior presenters back then were so young. Jennifer Keyte was only 25 reading the news for 10. She then moved to Seven where she was 28 reading Melbourne’s main bulletin.

2 Likes

In those days, though, females in particular were regarded as “too old” by 40. So I guess they started younger, too.

1 Like

Peter Mitchell reading Melbourne’s weekend news at 28 is another example. But I do understand for women back then it would have been harder.

Now days you want someone with a bit more life experience sitting in the main chair.

1 Like

Apparently Darren McDonald (ex-Nine, Seven and NZ) set the record for youngest newsreader, at 17

4 Likes

Different time back then… I’m sure there were some reginal stations also had a similar age group.

1 Like

These days a university qualification is pretty much a bare minimum to be allowed in a newsroom but plenty of behind the scenes people still studying for one.

1 Like

Didn’t Chris Bath start at NBN straight out of high school?

1 Like

That was at Prime in Albury - she joined NBN in 1991

1 Like

According to Wikipedia she did a short stint at Prime Albury at the age of 20 and she was 23 when she joined NBN.

2 Likes

A rare look at the 1988 million-dollar set. Steve, Geraldine and it appears to be Dal Myles there with them!

3 Likes

Ten must have had money to burn.

2 Likes