Random TV History

not really

There’s a number of articles online about this trend for flat or 2D designs, plus look at brands like Yahoo, Google, eBay, WB…

https://www.invictusstudio.com/blog/flat-logo-designs/

I mean moreso in tandem with flat applications in branding, take TVGlobo for example:

I am a avid follower of the Branding world and yes, flat/2D logos are the norm currently because of digital applications, though I have noticed some companies applying subtle gradients instead of additions such as gloss or 3D effects.

For those who are also interested in Branding, I highly implore visiting Under Consideration by Brand New. Recently they have switched to a Subscription model.

2 Likes

Couple of recognisable names there!

5 Likes

According to the forum, the new logo first appeared as a watermark on the top right corner during the AFL Millennium Match from the 2nd quarter onwards before its full reveal at midnight.

4 Likes

Had a thought about this - how did they work out which areas got full blown stations and which ones would be better served by full satellite services? E.g. CBN and CWN - surely Dubbo could have gotten a fully independent station if they wanted to? Or was it always going to be a satellite of another station?

I’m thinking some of the WA and SA stations would’ve been served by extensions of nearby stations. Say the Riverland got a satellite station of SES or GTS instead of launching RTS.

I don’t know the answer to that. Maybe the Central West licence, for instance, just happened to be awarded to CBN8 which, sensibly, just set up CWN6 as a satellite station. Probably the same situation with DDQ10 and later starting up SDQ4. Might have been just a matter of the larger stations taking advantage of new licences coming up in adjacent areas and being deemed as the more sustainable applicant for the new licences.

The owners of STV8, Mildura, were one of the applicants for the Riverland TV licence but it ended up being awarded to Riverland Television, which launched RTS5A. Potentially, had Sunraysia Television been successful they might have established the Riverland station as a satellite of STV8?

EDIT: I just checked, and South East Telecasters (SES8) was also an applicant for the Riverland licence. It seems that the Broadcasting Control Board opted to award the licence to Riverland Television as it had majority ownership from within the local area.

You could be right. It’s interesting how they worked out which areas were going to be areas where enough of a population was set up for a TV station, and the rationale behind them was.

BTW/GSW could have gone for the Kalgoorlie license, it follows the path further east, judging by the map, but would’ve needed a hell of a lot of microwave links to send the signal east.

Not surprised both SES and STV applied for the Riverland license.

Another area that could’ve had just one station from the get-go could’ve been North Queensland - linking both Townsville and Cairns. Also along the Northern Rivers of NSW.

I don’t think it was decided purely on population size, but judged on the merit of the applicants’ ability to provide a sustainable service. Who knows, there might have been some cough “politically convenient” cough appointments made too?

Mid-Western Television (VEW8) and Swan Television (STW9) were also applicants for the Geraldton licence. I’m not sure who Trans-West Telecasters was.

Geraldton Area
Swan Television Limited.
Geraldton Telecasters Pty. Ltd.
Trans-West Telecasters Pty. Ltd.
Mid-Western Television Pty. Ltd.

Source: Australian Broadcasting Control Board, 1974-75 Annual Report

Reading through that annual report, I noticed something a bit interesting - quite a few stations had investments in each other, sort of like dorm incest (if you know what that is).

Examples - DDQ’s shareholders included the license companies of TVT and NBN. BTQ had TCN and HSV’s owners amongst their shareholders. MVQ had TNQ, RTQ had MVQ, TVW had GMV and TVT, BTW and VEW both had NWS, TVT themselves had the owners of BTV and GMV.

It’s all a very tangled web, isn’t it? The closest thing today would be 3AW’s stake in Pacific Star, which is SEN.

4 Likes

I think WIN has a stake in Nine Entertainment and Network TEN as well?

1 Like

Used to, just Nine and Prime now.

2 Likes

Forgot all about dear old Brucie.

And if all the business rags are correct, he’s looking to roll his Nine stake into a full blown merger.

1 Like

… one of the main reasons for wanting to own a second licence was that, in those days, the law said a single entity could only own a maximum of two licences and so by buying a second, you made sure that you were not a takeover target by another station … of course all that changed when Hawke/Keating abolished that law and replaced it with a 75% cap which opened the way for predators like Skase and Bond to hoover up licences and send the entire television industry broke … it also allowed Murdoch to become, in Keating’s words “Prince of print” …

3 Likes

I remember Always Greener especially the Theme song. From memory this show used to be on Sunday Nights at 7.30pm i think which kind of explained why the show didn’t last long as 60 Minutes of course dominated that Time Slot.

1 Like

It was moved around the schedule which was more of a reason why the show only lasted 2 seasons. I wish they brought the show back in some way. It was a good show.

1 Like

Ahhh. I see. I only ever remember ever being on a Sunday Night. My Grandmother use to watch that show, plus All Saints (which used to be on a Tuesday Night) and Blue Heelers (which used to be on Wednesday Night) back in the Early 2000’s.

Ratings for the show began to fall after Seven decided to start airing its second season during the 2002 Easter period. It would move from Sunday to Monday then back to Sunday.

1 Like

I didn’t know that Prime did noodle updates in Victoria in the 90s!

Not sure of the newsreader or which city the updates were presented from.

3 Likes

Interesting. Was this produced at Prime Ballarat or from NSWs?

1 Like