Random TV History

I thought this Seven Network ident is pretty neat, it first appears as a ident from the previous graphics package in 1999 with the five colour bar line, but then each individual segment folds into their respective ribbon!

6 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, that short Ident was the very first to air with the new ribbon logo during the early hours of 1/1/2000.

5 Likes

Apparently the Original Channel Seven Ribbon Logo was designed when a Graphics Designer - who was hired to come up with a New Logo for Seven - randomly folded a piece of scrap paper or something like that.

8 Likes

I’d read ages ago that Kerry Stokes is alleged to have drafted it up himself. No idea how true that is!

5 Likes

The 5-colours used in the 1999 package was the lead-up to the relaunch on 1 January 2000.

4 Likes

One of my first memories of watching TV was seeing the 5 Coloured Ribbon Logos Channel Seven use to use. I honestly still to this day don’t know why they ditched it. It really put them ahead of the times.

2 Likes

I’ve loved the 2000-2003 On-Air Presentation. It was similar to the previous under the split circle 7 logo, but jazzed up to feel fresh with the five variants of the ribbon logo instead of the colour bar, and the pairing of the Gill Sans font, a hot design choice for the time, ties in really well with all the elements, especially News.

Plus, it was very simple in its execution, less is more. Take for example the Production closer:

And the i7 variant;

In the design world, gradients are in again, so it would be nice if Seven did decide to experiment with the logo in the years ahead.

2 Likes

Seven used to have the best indents of all the commercial networks in Australia. My favourite was probably The One to Watch series of around 2002. I don’t know why they ditched that catch phrase.

The other stations like Nine and Ten used to have a few indents that were rotated. Where Seven had a variety of them used throughout the year

4 Likes

Wow. Haven’t seen that variant for a while. I seem to recall a breakdown slide around that time with the different coloured logos on a black background.

I still remember the old TV newsgroups going into meltdown over the new 7 logo. It was a big deal at the time.

3 Likes

I thought this (with thanks to @Zampakid for the cap) was Seven’s Breakdown Slide during 2000…unless of course it was eventually updated which is quite possible:

3 Likes

Would it be this discussion by any chance?

https://groups.google.com/g/aus.tv/c/vhsNKiPqLPY/m/WsMYSl3A1AAJ

Pretty funny to read the reactions about the ribbon logo, some comparing its appearance to the 1970s, others a regional television station! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

After loosing the AFL rights, Seven had a lot of local drama in 2002. From memory, H&W, All Saints, Blue Heelers, Always Greener and Marshal Law were all show across the network. Pretty impressive line up. The first 3 listed use to run over 40 weeks seasons.

3 Likes

Marshall Law unfortunately faced strong competition when up against Stingers and Rove Live. It started strong but ratings fell fast in the second week.

From memory they even did repeats of it over the summer.

Yes it was. The good ol days of unmoderated newsgroups. It seems even I made a few replies in that group of which I have a vague recollection of doing, lol.

3 Likes

Was that originally a Yahoo! or Ebroadcast group?

1 Like

Nah, this was on good ol Usenet newsgroups that had been around since the early 1990’s. I don’t even think they exist now and probably a good thing too. Unmoderated and scumbags used to use it to distribute illegal images.

4 Likes

Yep, illegal images and also the first versions of illegal piracy distribution too, mainly songs but as tech got better it was movies and then TV shows. Pre-Napster and Kazaa etc… news groups were the way.

5 Likes

i7 was the internet domain for 7 until 2003. Yahoo7 was a joint venture between 7 and Yahoo from 2006 until 2018.

3 Likes

Well, there is this image online which used to feature on the designer’s website, but it appears be removed now:

35658A11-DF07-4FF7-B466-07BA176CF067

And this:

And while it still remains at Seven Melbourne, it has since been repainted to all red:

seven-melb-2

6 Likes