Random TV History

Some of our Brisbane/Queensland members may remember this hilarious NRMA ad from c. 2005:

This was a tongue-in-cheek reference to when the Brisbane Broncos suffered a then-record 50-4 loss to the Melbourne Storm early in the 2005 NRL season.

4 Likes

And none of them moved on to a career in acting. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Plus who could also remember this Colonial State ad from 2004?

10 Likes

“Abu Dhabi does not live here”

2 Likes

The doors of the Albert Memorial Hospital are open with the first 250 episodes of the long-running Australian early-evening soap – where the staff romances and personal dramas are more crucial than the medical cases!

4 Likes

I watched a few landmark episodes on YouTube months ago but I’m not sure the quality of that production warrants paying a premium to view the series. It was interesting to see Russell Crowe and Gerard Sont as child actors. I’m sure they’ll get some baby boomer nostalgia tragics paying for it.

1 Like

I absolutely loved this show! Second only to Sons & Daughters.

Hey I’m Gen X not a baby boomer.

1 Like

On you Brian68 - I am a Gen Xer as well.

NewsWeary - Please don’t confuse us with the Boomers.

Mind you, it’s the millennials that concern me. They walk around like they rent the place.

1 Like

my grandparents were pre-boomers and if they were still with us they’d love to watch The Young Doctors again I’m sure :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I should know better being a Gen X myself. I just thought more boomers would’ve been invested in it and remember it more fondly than those of us who were children in the ’70s.

1 Like

LOL good one!

3 Likes

I always remember watching The Young Doctors at 6pm.

My brother and I were also allowed to watch The Restless Years, our friends across the street were not.

I was not allowed to watch Prisoner though. That was off limits to the kids in my house.

1 Like

I remember my mother was initially appalled at Prisoner and even wrote to complain to the TV station about the violence. Although strangely we all kept watching it and fast forward a few months and it was even my mother’s favourite show! True story.

We were all glued to The Young Doctors too.

3 Likes

Mum never let me watch Prisoner because she said it glorified criminals and violence.

Fast forward a couple of decades, and guess who’s enthralled in Underbelly?!? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Maybe Nine could pick up Wentworth from where it left off and pair it up with Underbelly or Halifax :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

40 year olds?

We watched The Young Doctors and The Restless Years in my household too.

My dad loved Cop Shop but since it conflicted with Prisoner, I didn’t watch that one until later when they changed days of the week or Cop Shop was axed maybe.

1 Like

Random thoughts:

There are some old Restless Years clips on Youtube and they are so cheesy. At the time I loved it though. Both The Restless Years and Prisoner had the best cliffhangers. Side Note - The actress who played Olivia in Restless was also a voiceover artist. Her name was Zoe Bertram. “The longer you listen the better it gets 2-N-X”, “Sydney’s 95 - 2UE”, “Lite and Easy - 1269”. I love her voice.

As a kid I always wanted to go to Bunny’s - the bar across the road from the Albert Memorial Hospital (The Young Doctors). Dave Gray was the owner, Bunny.

Cop Shop was good. I never quite understood Skyways.

i’m millennial and i so would watch this, stop generalising generations ffs

1 Like