Random Radio

Commercial Radio Australia has made its submission to an inquiry into competitive neutrality of national broadcasters, such as the ABC.

Oh FFS. :roll_eyes:

They bitch and whinge that the ABC is doing a job they should be doing. No sympathy from me.

2 Likes

Completely agree. FFS was my reaction as well.

They should just count themselves lucky the ABC isnā€™t the BBC and STFU. :slight_smile:

The latest Sydney music radio crossovers has been released: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/sydney-radio-music-crossovers-0

The research took place over the past week, which compares Nova 96.9 with 2Day, KIIS, WS & Triple M, perhaps in response to the station introducing ā€œGreatest Hits Workdayā€. The biggest crossover Nova has was with KIIS, which shared 23.8% of its playlist, followed by 2Day with 15.9%.

1 Like

Message on RadioApp says a login is required after 25 July.

Are they going start selling the data about our usage too, like Facebook did?

Never had to use the app but there it goes, will have to uninstall it nowā€¦

Of course, itā€™s all for the ratings dataā€¦

1 Like

Your personal data is worth more than a thousand Frank Walker caterwauls after all.

1 Like

Iā€™m yet to find a station that I couldnā€™t find an alternative stream for.

Never downloaded RadioApp, done my best to avoid pre-audio advertising.

Best launch songs

@Brianc68 inspired the beginning of this list:

Love ā€˜no static at allā€™ line.

@mcpaton has been around for a ā€˜fewā€™ launches.

2 Likes

RadioApp didnā€™t normally have pre-audio advertising. In fact, they used to promote the fact that they didnā€™t do that.

When it did, it was implemented by the station itself. When I complained about it to Nova recently, they took it off.

1 Like

Same done for 5AA for a time, itā€™s when I found alternative streams to their website.

Self help? Arenā€™t BA sites sat fed usually?

A Melbourne FM DXer caught 89.7 MHz relaying Lime FM Mount Gambier during an intense tropo opening a couple of years ago. Lime FM broadcasts on 104.9 MHz. The 89.7 signal peaked towards Tasmania and there are no translators for Lime FM on 89.7. The only logical explanation is that 89.7 Lileah relays 7ABCRN from 104.9 Waratah.

There have also been instances where translators in QLD have been swamped by Es signals from NSW and Victoria; I caught a 4HIT translator relaying Snow FM Jindabyne (off 94.7 MHz) a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

On the subject of radio streaming apps, thereā€™s an opinion piece on Radioinfo that just came out, titled "Why youā€™re wrong to pull out of TuneIn.

It starts off with this:

Last week, US broadcaster Entercom decided to pull its streams off TuneIn, the radio aggregator. From now on, the stations will only be available on Entercomā€™s own radio streaming website, radio.com; and the radio.com smartphone app.

Read more at: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/why-youā€™re-wrong-pull-out-tunein

I remember when the Grant stations started streaming again in October 2015, their streams didnā€™t appear on TuneIn. You would have to manually put it in your favourites by extracting the streaming links from their websites. When RadioApp came out as a CRA app in November 2016 (after having been a SCA app beforehand), the Grant stations can easily be accessed by the touch of a button on a smart device.

Also, the NZME-owned stations in NZ used to be accessed on TuneIn, but is now no longer accessible on the app, unless one manually puts the links into their favourites. It can however be accessed on other 3rd party apps such as Simple Radio, myTuner Radio App & Receiver Radio, as was previously recommended by @dxnerd earlier in this thread.

FYI, the Receiver app also has the Grant stations available there.

3 Likes

Its great when radio breakfast teams take their mid year break so thereā€™s less yap yap yap in the mornings and more music

4 Likes

These are amazing observations, youā€™re in a third location, often equally as distant to receive this at precisely the right time. Wonderful.

Perhaps those stations with off air feeds to translator sites should include such information on their websites and via broadcast when a new translator is switched on so that audiences understand that freak weather conditions may interrupt local relays.

Smooth FM on digital radio offers a similar schedule year round.

2 Likes

Yep Iā€™m loving Smooth FM digital breakfast in Brisbane.

2 Likes

The native adverts are back on Nova through RadioApp today. Itā€™s causing failures on multiple attempts and shuts down the app with an offer to send feedback. Why do they keep trying this and stuffing up the experience for listeners?

3 Likes

I agree. I know Iā€™m probably not the usual listener but I find most radio listening via streaming to be sub par and quite frankly frustrating. There are so many drop outs and glitches I find it detracts from the experience for me - Iā€™m just waiting for the next drop out.

The only one I find pretty up to my expectations is the Absolute Radio App which I listen to most days at work, but even that one isnā€™t totally immune to crashing.

If streaming is the future I donā€™t like it.

On a similar tangent I heard one of the announcers on 4KQ this afternoon actually plugging listening via digital radio. Hopefully that actually continues and isnā€™t just him going ā€œoff scriptā€.

4 Likes

Itā€™s utterly ridiculous. There are at least three or four dropouts per trip on public transport and hearing the same ad over and over wrecks the experience. You canā€™t switch between stations any more because you have to listen to s 30 second ad every time you switch.

4 Likes