Random Radio

Oh maybe I misunderstood. I thought you meant of the 7 stations that launched which ones were still on their original positioning?

1 Like

No, sorry, I meant which of those frequencies are still in use by a commercial FM broadcaster natively (no relays).

e.g… 92.3 was originally used by EON, but no commercial FM broadcaster uses that frequency anywhere now (excluding relays) despite there being dozens more stations on air nowadays.

96FM Perth and Triple M Sydney are still on their original frequencies too.

1 Like

Does anyone know any software for FM radio USB stick. I use this dab software it’s excellent.
I got a dabby stick from ages ago. Lost the totalmedia software. http://www.ukwtv.de/cms/downloads-aside/281-dab-player-von-andreas-gsinn.html.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that Radioapp when operating over 3G/4G often defaults to a low bitrate AAC+ stream but when on WiFi defaults to a higher quality stream. It depends on the station but at least for the SCA metro stations that seems to be true.

Anyone know of a way to force it to stream the high quality stream even when not on WiFi?

I wonder that too! I know in tunein radio you use to be able to change the stream quality.

You used to be able to record in TuneIn as well- it’s such a shame that this app has gone to crap. I use a German app called ‘Receiver’ now which rarely misses a beat, though it’s stream directory is a lot smaller than Tunein’s (you can manually add URLs, though).

For the Mac- and perhaps iPad as well- the imaginatively titled 'Radio for mac’ app streams well and you can record too!

1 Like

Looks like I can still record. I bought the Tunein Pro years ago. That might be why. I don’t think you can buy it anymore. Only the Premium version which is an ongoing fee.

1 Like

Quite right; I was still able to record when I ditched the app some months back. I quit in frustration after a host of buffering issues and other glitches. What they did get rid of entirely- probably because of copyright issues- is the ability to schedule recordings which is what I used most.

1 Like

An online station called The Buzzz looks like it’s a decent option for those wanting a deep mix of retro pop and rock. It claims to be Melbourne based. A scroll through the playlist does seem to indicate an Australian presence. Oddly enough some relatively obscure Canadian artists such as Honeymoon Suite and Trooper also make the cut. Perhaps the person running it is a Canadian expat living ‘downunder’? Short adbreaks seem to air quite frequently and there’s also some syndicated programming.

Direct stream link

3 Likes

Looks like the ABC’s overseas service has also been rebranded in line with the new corporate look:

3 Likes

Now with less useful content than a couple of years ago?

1 Like

Interesting article by American radio commentator Sean Ross on the modernisation of ‘classic hits’ radio, in some cases including hits from the 2000s.

1 Like

I had a look at Vivid at Circular Quay tonight. There is a very low powered transmitter on 89.3 MHz from the Overseas Passenger Terminal airing ambient/Brian Eno type music as an audio accompaniment to the visual displays. I didn’t hear any announcements whilst I was tuned (roughly 25 mind). This can be found on the latest ACMA spreadsheet.

2 Likes

I just noticed RadioApp is now available on Sonos. The A - Z list of stations is great for listening to random stations!

3 Likes

Wasn’t sure where to put this :sweat_smile:

A Donation is needed for a FM broadcast transmitter or amplifier (50 watts or higher) for a startup non-profit community radio aspirant needing assistance with its temporary broadcasts.

Also needed is a circular polarized broadcast antenna.

Please help by getting in contact via contact@whcr899.com

Your transmitter/amplifier/antenna donation and any expertise is appreciated by all the people involved for the benefit of the community.

Thank you from WHCR 89.9FM.
​

2 Likes

So tell us more about your group? What sets you apart for why the licence should go to yours? What role did your group have in the previous station?

As a new aspirant long term community station we understand the need for community inclusion and community participation in the service we want the community to run it not as a commercial radio compeditor but a service that really has alternative and new and grass roots content for the benefit of the community and what community radio is all about.

We have absolutely no relation with any of the past groups and stay away from politics and infighting.
We are about inclusion and genuine community content and we ask for peoples membership and assistance.

1 Like

B&T Magazine online (with help from ARN) have created a brilliant although not fully inclusive interactive commercial radio chart.

1 Like

So @TheChase what gear are you using now and why the need to change? (Borrowed?). At such low power you’d probably be better off with a side mount vertical dipole. One mixed antenna is 3db loss on the tx power. ACMA will allow vertical only on a mixed licence as long as its shown as vertical on the apparatus license. PM me if you’d like more info. The Community Radio Tech Q&A page would be helpful also.

2 Likes