Random Radio

Triple M Brisbane haven’t been too bad this week,the breakfast team isn’t back from holidays yet so there’s been more music between 6am to 9am

1 Like

On Kris Fade’s insta…

Who’s the guy in the middle? ‘Gracie’?

1 Like

I worked at a Woolworths warehouse which basically played the same 50 or 60 shitty songs from 2005 to 2013 over and over and over and over again. If you were in the place just for one night, it would have been OK, but this playlist was repeated night after night after night. No iPods for safety reasons (which was fine by me). That was one of the reasons why I quit the job.

2 Likes

It’s because of workplace health and safety rules that we’re not allowed to wear headphones to listen to music while working.ie you aren’t able to hear if the fire alarm goes off or if a forklift is nearby

In my nightfill days at Woolies we’d tape the PA open and place it next to a AM/FM radio and listen to Triple M instead of Woolies radio (which from memory was satellite fed)

1 Like

One of the managers would sometimes (maybe once a week?) plug his phone into the PA to override the Woolies piped music (I believe it must have had to be running out of a box somewhere in the offices, as the playlist was too small to be satellite fed) for maybe one to two hours up until we finished our shifts.

Too bad the manager had a horrendous taste in music - generally 15-20 year old music that you’d hear in a gay nightclub (or at least what I’d imagine would be played in a gay nightclub on Oxford Street in the 1990s)…

One night he played this continuous mix with some DJ voiceover constantly shouting out a hotmail.com email address between every song. We had a real laugh at that in the break room.

2 Likes

At a place I used to work for, someone in my team decided to change the on hold music on our phone system to Triple J.

That backfired spectacularly when people started complaining about the offensive language on some songs.

1 Like

Do companies still use radio for on-hold music? I think these days they are liable for APRA licencing fees by ‘re-broadcasting’ radio signals, which is why a lot of places have royalty free music on hold. Even back in the 1990s that was becoming a thing. I don’t think I’ve heard radio on hold for ages.

Also remember the days when you’d call a company and they’d put you on hold and sometimes the radio wouldn’t be tuned in properly so all you’d hear was static or distortion. Not very pleasant when you’re already annoyed by being on hold :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just hate those call trees that will jump to promotions/advertising - so there’s always a few seconds of confusion when an actual person answers thinking you’ve just been switched to another ad.

I don’t think I’ve ever encountered it being done well. The Centrelink hold music is probably the most effective tool the Government has ever deployed for encouraging people to obtain full time work.

3 Likes

I called some company not long ago (cannot remember who) who had Triple M as their hold music. So my hold time was spent enduring the end of Barnesy’s ‘Working Class Man’ followed by 10 minutes of ads for Marto, Ed and Robin…

3 Likes

100%. That classical music when you’re placed in the queue really shits me in the infrequent times that I need to contact Centrelink. But when you get through and are put on hold again by a human operator, they have this really funky music which is very nice to listen to. I think I’ve heard it when on hold at another place, but I don’t remember where exactly. I don’t think there’s any doubt that the music they’ve selected at Centrelink is designed as part of some scheme to piss you off enough that you look for work instead of continuing to receive a payment.

I recall that Centrelink had a call-back service many years ago when I first started getting Youth Allowance as a teenager. Of course they canned that several years ago probably because it made it too easy to call Centrelink. I never received engaged signals from Centrelink a few years ago when I started receiving Youth Allowance, but when I was applying for a payment about 9 months ago (as I had lost my job), I had to resort to an autodialler app in order to actually get anywhere (and even then it took 30 minutes to reach the IVR menu).

1 Like

The year was 1988 and FM104 had a studio at the Riverstage…

Great times indeed… Bill Healy in AM drive (with Mr T), the no repeat workday and two-for-Tuesdays, bogus bulletins and this track:

4 Likes

Great times indeed. I still miss them.

2 Likes

Switched thread, as this has become more general than 2DAY fm focussed:

Sorry, my bad explanation of my simpleton logic. Step 1: demographics affect what sort of music formats a market can support. Step 2: the relevance of the announcers will affect what share an individual station will get. If you get both right, you maximise the audience. Would it be appropriate to interpret your comments another way - what is relevant for each market is different and hence each market is unique.

As for Melburnians turning off something Sydney based regardless of content more than vice-versa, I feel sad, because it should be the content that wins, but take your guidance having lived in both cities. Presumably, the more a show has general “water cooler” type topics - the harder it is to be relevant without revealing the city you are in. If you can’t talk about “the event” in town (eg Clipsal500 if you’re in Adelaide), sport or weather, you can quickly run out of topics…and relevance. Fine if you’re more music Smooth FM (with a focus on minimising talk), but a lot harder if you are Triple M (Metro).

1 Like

It’s like how Melbournians make a huge deal about being better than Sydney whilst Sydney-Siders don’t really care.

Melbourne’s great, but it can have a chip on its shoulder

3 Likes

I’ve only been listening to Triple M at work for one week,No complaints so far except they are flogging some songs and now that the breakfast team has returned too much chit-chat in the morning.After this week though I’m off work for 5 weeks taking long service leave so now I’ll be able to listen to whatever I want to😊

2 Likes

This headline has irked me a bit. Referring to an online radio station (channel? stream?) as a ‘digital station’, while technically correct, is somewhat of a misnomer in that it confuses the concept with (DAB+) digital radio - at least to me.

2 Likes

The last paragraph sounds like it’s an online station only, there’s no mention of it being available on digital radio.

1 Like

I’d seen the station pop up on iHeartRadio a few weeks back, but the phrasing of “digital station” is what threw me off.

1 Like

So is there anything to the talk that Christian O’Connell (Absolute UK) is coming to Australia?