Random Radio

yep announcement in a few minutes UK time - there’s a belief that ARN has signed him for GOLD Melbourne breakfast. Not confirmed.

Perth has a special event temporary radio station on 106.5 licensed from 29 Jan - 4 Feb

5 watts from Broadcast Site Matilda Bay Swan River PERTH

2 Likes

What event is it for?

I thought 6PR were supposed to be using that frequency to launch north/south translators ala 6IX as they apparently weren’t happy with the coverage on 882 even after it was upped from 2kw to 10kw.

According to Radcomm - Western Australian Yachting Federation

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-10100-0-0-0

1 Like

Thanks!
I should have thought to check Radcomm.

Wonder what it will be called?
Sail 106.5 has a good ring to it.

Following on from my posts in the MRN thread, this might work a treat for the SoundDec signals at the cricket, or anywhere else SoundDec is being used. Also covers SportsEars.

https://is.gd/aa8Jss

Depends if the ump freqs are narrowband 12.5KHz FM or 6.25KHz FM. This radio seems to be designed for 250KHz FM which is normal FM radio.

Wouldn’t 250khz be considered Long Wave?

Or do you mean Mhz?

I think he’s referring to bandwidth

3 Likes

No, MHz

Correct.

2 Likes

Where do you read notification that these licences have been added to the database?

There is a list of Temporary Licences on the Excel spreadsheet of broadcasters from ACMA with start / finish dates.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve never seen where to find this.

1 Like

Tweet from ACMA

2 Likes

They’re doing well on overtime!

How are they going getting the overdeviation of NEW 105.3 Newcastle and 4MBS 103.7 Brisbane under control?

2 Likes

Interference near Ayers Rock?
From what?
UFOs maybe…
Are they serious?

3 Likes

I was listening to 4kz from Innisfail for a while this arvo when I was travelling between Innisfail and Cardwell.they played a few great tunes,.I don’t think I’ll find too many stations worth listening to along the way since they all sound exactly the same wherever you are, I miss the good old days of radio before networking :confused:

5 Likes

I agree. 4kz has a Smooth FM feel to it. In Townsville have you tried Power100?

4KZ’s positioner is “Cairns to Townsville & the Gulf”, which means that they have a fairly big coverage footprint across several frequencies. They also have an AM transmitter at Ingham that broadcasts on 1620kHz, which gets into Townsville, providing an alternative to the commercial FM stations there.

4KZ (as well as sister station Kool FM) is owned by Coastal Broadcasters, who also owns 4AM in the Atherton Tablelands & Port Douglas, of which its signal gets into Cairns almost like a local station.

3 Likes

4AM in pre FM days was as much Cairns as 4CA and used to position itself as such. Certainly was the case in 90/91 when competition seemed strong. Prior to that, 4AM had a studio in Cairns.

4KZ is on an off band licence for the Gulf. Stick is in Karumba or nearby town. Lots of tidal/mud flats there, so great ground propagation. That area really needed commercial radio with a ‘local’ bent to it and is well served by 4KZ.

4 Likes