Random Mocks

Thanks - and I definitely agree. I mainly just used these two for illustrative purposes.

3 Likes

Epic! Love this. The only problem with it is that the words are not centred. Is that done on purpose?

2 Likes

I was trying to find a balance, seeing as the text is off-centre to the circles (which is centred in that image).

Can always shift it further:

7 Likes

It’s a good logo but you can’t see the word “morning” very clearly due to the shading. Maybe make it a few shades lighter

3 Likes

Maybe lighten/outline Australia instead of Morning?

1 Like

“No. 1 always”? It makes me laugh! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

4 Likes

hey, thats not crap!

Need your eyes tested @TBoy?

9 Likes

A pretty quick attempt at rearranging the Olympic Rings on the 7 sport watermark.

13 Likes

So, I’ve had to deal with this before, but the olympic rings position on your watermark are actually determined by the IOC. They have style guides and rules for the position of the graphic. Any time you use them in a graphic for broadcast, you have to send them off to their graphics department for approval first. It’s a pain in the neck.

Your arrangement is a problem because:

• It can’t look like a non-olympics broadcast is endorsed by the IOC - they could argue your example on the horse racing makes it look like the racing is part of olympic coverage. The rings need to be less prominent.
  • There needs to be more space between the rings and the |.

I believe, from memory, that there is a reason why they must go underneath on watermarks, but I can’t remember why.

When/if Seven do start broadcasting the Olympic coverage, they will most likely have a watermark that’s a lot more like your version, with the rings being more prominent.

6 Likes

Decided to do some different 9 News designs, they are a flat look.

Did a variation for Today but I couldn’t find a white Today logo.

25 Likes

Awesome work!

2 Likes

@utaussiefan the yellow Today Show logo would be better instead of white. But great stuff!

3 Likes

Nice look for the Today Show. Shows the city in the background.

2 Likes

Sorry, but I don’t like this mock at all.

The aspect ratio is wrong, the formatting of the logo/text/colour filter is inconsistent on the local titlecards. Design wise, I can’t really praise something which is just the logo, line and text.

6 Likes

i would stray away from the default MS Office font tbh

6 Likes

I apologise if I hurt some feelings, but I wonder if we’ve strayed from the point of mocks here a bit?
I don’t expect posts to be professional or perfect, but it would be nice to see some relevance or basic understanding of graphic design techniques.

Grabbing city scape photos, whacking a logo on it and adding default Calibri text is not design.

Read the well written Guide to Mocking.

Why didn’t you look up ways to turn the logo white? Even in PowerPoint (which I’m assuming you’ve used) there are ways to achieve this. If you want to achieve something, give yourself the opportunity to do so.

Also look up colour matching - White text on a yellowish/orange background doesn’t work. Your red line is also disappearing in a few of them.
I think you could have just done one or two designs of each look, people get the point. You’ve only really changed the backdrop or name plate of the show, and there’s not really a design difference between them.

This is just bad, I know you’re admitting it, but it’s bad. It’s illegible, spaced badly, terribly formatted…
It’s like something from the early 90s. I also don’t understand why this needs a picture of the city behind it? It’s been a long time since local lineups were branded in such a fashion. Why did you feel the need to share it? How does it contribute to the conversation here?

I would recommend both of you to give yourselves a short-term ban on copying elements from anywhere - make something that is completely your own, and if you don’t know how to do something, research it and work it out. Only share things that are going to contribute to the conversation.

14 Likes

These are really strong frames @phoenix.

I’d watch the thin lines and fonts on your lower 3rd, some of them are getting a bit small - especially the weather icon in the logo. (I really like the idea of incorporating those elements into the logo, it’s a clever idea).
The outline of MORNING might be hard to see, as is the BREAKING NEWS TITLE.
If you want a good guide to how it will look on an SD broadcast, try exporting a frame from photoshop with jpeg compression, set to level 8 quality. It’ll show you how thin lines can disappear.

The other thing, and I’m really sorry to say this part, but be careful of the shape of the super bar overall… Try to avoid circles attached to long round edged rectangles (they tend to look a bit phallic in nature).

Still, great colours, and I love the details surrounding the logo - it’s energetic.

8 Likes

Nice Job!

I think there should be a voting process that highlights outstanding mocks, similar to TVForum UK. Too many users are posting terrible designs on here.

7 Likes