Random Mocks

Appreciate the feedback!

I wholeheartedly agree, as much as I do love a good outlined text, finding a balance on its weighting, aesthetic value, and visibility is super challenging. For context though, I always imagined the “Morning” text of the logo in the lower third supers would be animated to fill intermittently - so if I could find a practical weighting for it that’s readable when its static on the outline, I think it could possibly work!

I did have the fear regarding the phallic nature of the supers. If I’m honest, I’m not happy with the look, but I found it too be TOO similar to News First if i went for an angular/pointed design. Will need some workshopping.

Was just a bit of a fun task regardless. Thanks so much for the feedback !

2 Likes

It is fair to assume that whoever has the rights for the Commonwealth Games next year will host them from the studio in Australia. I’d even go as far as saying they won’t even have their own commentators for all events and will instead take the world feed with only hosts being part of the coverage from Australia. They might though have their own commentators for Athletics and Swimming- that would be it. Maybe expert commentators to join the hosts at the desk? Could also copy Tens the Commentators lounge. If they have anyone in the UK it would be the news reporters already there interviewing aussie athletes (if that is allowed)

13 Likes

That looks nice!

1 Like

OK, except the text needs to match the curve of the panel it’s on, and is there a logo for the 2022 games which could/should be used instead of just the text?

2 Likes

That text is actually from the logo itself, on both sides of the backdrop you can see the stylized B that forms part of the logo.

Agree that that part looks a little flat on a curved panel, but otherwise it’s quite a good mock. Nice job

3 Likes

It’s just a concept! It’s not meant to be perfect! Btw I have used the logo on the backdrop and that text is from the logo too

2 Likes

For those interested, I’ve quickly stitched together a PMFM logo (obviously an edit of the “B” in the B105 logo…) in the current Hit Network style:

MOCKPMFMLogo

Again, with so many station variants of this logo it’s uncomfortably easy to whip these up…

6 Likes

The colour scheme is nice, and even though the keystoning of the desk doesn’t exactly match (like others have already mentioned), it matches the design components of what we’ve seen on some of the Birmingham 2022 branding. So it’s a good start.

Does Stan Sport have the access rights for the comm games coverage though? I don’t think they’ll share… Normally broadcast contracts are set in stone when the broadcast rights are announced, I doubt they’ll be able to split or on-sell the rights. Plus, 9 will most likely use ‘9Now’ for any streaming services.

Few points about your mock:

• Never alter a logo. Ever. Don’t flip it, don’t rotate it, don’t warp it, don’t distort it, don’t separate elements, don’t re-colour it (other than maybe making it solid white/black)… Think of it this way: Someone worked hard to create it, so you need to respect it. There’s no reason why you couldn’t use parts of it to inspire your design, like triangles or lines cutting across each other…

• Your background behind the presenter is possibly a bit busy, do you think it needs all the elements you’ve included? Could you use devices to split the different sports/athletes up? It kinda looks like the rugby player is pulling on the gymnast’s hair.

• If you look at the previous broadcasts of the olympics or comm games, you’ll notice that the host networks very rarely use designs that are linked to the actual event branding. I believe it helps separate the broadcast rights of the sport events from that of the hosting sections, but I’m not 100 percent sure.

Take a look at their YouTube channel and Instagram, there’s some nice design inspiration there you can use.

2 Likes

I feel that the WWOS and Stan Sport logos are altered to represent that the desk is curved

4 Likes

I’m not referring to the WWOS logos or Stan Sport logos.

The ‘Birmingham 2020’ logo has been chopped and flipped in the background behind the presenter.
The Commonwelth Games logo is also behind the “Birmingham 2020” words on the desk front - combining 2 different logos.

2 Likes

Where was this energy with the @/AK_NEWS mocks…? Christ

If Ten got the CWG 2022 they could use the set from the Melbourne Cup?

9 Likes

10 Likes

Point out which one of @AK_NEWS you’d like critiqued, and I’ll happily give you my opinion… but it’s true that those posts contributed to me feeling the need to be more vocal about technique.

I’m simply trying to help make this topic more relevant, not just full of people’s nonsense ‘designs’ for the sake of pictures. The benefits of public critique is that everyone who wants to read it can benefit and learn at the same time.

1 Like

Not bad.

Again, altering logos isn’t a great idea - the comm games logo in the 10 circle has trademark issues, but the simplicity of all your elements together works well.

The lines in the screen on the front of the desk don’t look great, is this a copy and paste error?

Still got room for improvement, but it’s not bad.

This is great. Simple, effective. All the elements are positioned well. The background gradient is also very nice. Wonder what it’d look like with a flat black 9 logo, instead of the glossy blue? It might match the Stan Sport graphic.

2 Likes

13 Likes

9 Likes

Instead of RR id have how many runs required and how many balls remain

nice! Can you make one for sa?

Very Crappy mock i found on my computer