Radio Data System (RDS)

RDS on SBS in Hobart…

3 Likes

Some nice posts of RDS displays. Thought I’d add some, these are from my car radio on KLFM Bendigo. This is the current batch of messages running at the moment.

7 Likes

Not sure if it has been mentioned but 4TAB 89.7 has had no RDS for several weeks now. It is still present on other outlets like 95.5 Bundaberg.

4 Likes

Seems to have been an issue for some months now

Hadn’t been able to check other sites like Bundaberg or Toowoomba so thanks for confirming they still operate as normal.

3 Likes

When I was scanning around FM yesterday I believe 93.7 Toowoomba had RDS

5 Likes

Further to the above here is a photo I just took now while in the kitchen having a drink and tuning around

3 Likes

Hey @gordo92 while you’re doing that can you let me know what else still has RDS up there? I know you said 4WK doesn’t anymore but do the rest (91.5, 102.7?). I’ve only received Hit 100.7 RDS from down here in recent times.

2 Likes

I think it has been posted here before that 4WK on 95.5 has it?

1 Like

Hasn’t been operational for some months now though.

1 Like

Yes 4WK has RDS again as I believe it is once again been generated internally in the TX

Below is what has RDS from memory when I checked earlier in the day, without getting out of bed and turning on my FM receiver

92.9 Voice FM
93.7 RadioTAB
95.5 4WK 95.5
99.1 MMM Ctry
100.7 Hit 100.7
102.7 1027FM

5 Likes

Yes, Toowoomba’s TAB HPON had RDS last week, the week before and the fortnight before that.

1 Like

I agree with @gordo92’s recollection. Also a LPON with Vision or Faith.

The 4WK FM signal is noticeably lower and has been for weeks.

2 Likes

Legend, thank you for confirming!

3 Likes

Aha, that might explain why I haven’t decoded it down here in Brisbane for a while. Will try again around the traps and see what comes of it.

2 Likes

Hi @gordo92
Thanks for the Toowoomba RDS review.
I was looking at our group RDS list & didn’t see 92.9 4GOD (Voice FM) listed on it, nor mention of it searching through this forum, so this station either new or overlooked re RDS.
Any chance of a photo pic of the RDS display of this one?
Or if anyone can procure any RDS info, especially their RDS PI code from SDR software etc.

Noted today that ‘Harmony FM’ changed their RT in recognition of the Vietnam veterans. It displayed as: ‘Harmony remembers Vietnam Vets on Thursday’

C91.3: Noted during talk (new?) RDS RT as: ‘Macarthur’s Station’

3 Likes

Nah no happy clappers LPONS here in Toowoomba, and also none of the LPON here in toowoomba township have RDS.

Let’s just say they are not currently on their usual site due to there current site and the Tower that they are licensed on is going to be knocked over to put a shopping complex on the land. Can’t say anything more then that

Always happy to help where I can

They fired up RDS after 102.7 got RDS

7 Likes

Probably was via a blessing :raised_hands: :pray:

And thanks @gordo92 about the site changes. Most disappointing.

2 Likes

You might not be able to say too much, but Toowoomba Regional Council’s website says a bit about the redevelopment. Subdivision with a retail component proposed on the land opposite the Murphys Creek Road intersection, with the site where the TX tower is currently slated for retail development. DA number RAL/2021/7378 details it here: MasterView 2.0 Application Master

Will be interesting to see what the future holds here, as I presume they’re not the only users of that site? From the Radcomms database 102.7 also comes from here?

2 Likes

Noticed for the first time, SBS Radio Perth 96.9 now has RDS. Couple of screenshots from the SDRTouch Android app.

Note the incorrect GMT offset for WA. Bit of a common problem seen on WA RDS clocks. Otherwise, nice!

3 Likes

I’ve made some minor modifications to some of the Artarmon based community stations this week, I’ll leave it up to you guys to find what.

I’ve also installed a new audio processor for Koori Radio which has an RDS encoder built in, so I’m using that now (still just basic RDS though). It now feeds both the main Nautel Transmitter & the backup Harris transmitter, so Koori will have RDS no matter which transmitter is on air. Previously RDS was generated from the internal encoder in the Nautel transmitter, so if they were on backup there was no RDS.

4 Likes