Radio Data System (RDS)

Given it is simply a station name swap to my knowledge I would have thought they would have simply had to change the station name on the RDS… Not sure why the radio text has stopped working, kinda doesn’t really make sense hmmmm

3 Likes

Mine has decoded the scrolling text fine.
It could be lower signal corrupting / garbling the scrolling text. I have had this before on other stations particularly Wave fm , C91.3 and SpE stations when a full decode of the RDS is borderline.

It would be nice if they had song title and artist in their scrolling text.

3 Likes

Hawk FM has very recently changed their PS from " HAWKFM " to: HAWK89.9

Hawk89.9-j

UPDATE: Also noted PTY changed from Varied to Pop Music. There’s also a TP flag.

RE CADA96.1 RT display corruption:

Has this since been fixed?
Is displaying correctly with RDS Spy software & also on my BUSH digital radio.

I’ve always thought that too re Song Title & Artist.
BTW re the references to RT “scrolling text”; this is something your receiver does to accommodate for the lack of sufficient character space in the RT display. It’s not something the RDS RT data feed controls or does.

2 Likes

I always assumed they stuck with a static station slogan for the RadioText on 96.1 because most listeners would be receiving a somewhat weak signal. This would generally look better, especially with many radios now caching this information and continuing to display what was last decoded when the data can no longer be received.

I’d say nearly all of their listenership would be closer to Sydney than Katoomba.

5 Likes

Another update:
Currently hearing Hawkesbury Radio in the Starter FM broadcast slot this arvo.
Signal is great today, getting RDS BER of 0 to 6 % a huge improvement on 86% from last post.
Other RDS observations: TP flag gone & no AF. AF was 107.8 a little while back.

4 Likes

Noticed this week that RadioTAB from Mt Dunsinane appears to have lost its RDS, or at least it wasn’t decoding in the car. @4TAB-1008kHz do you know of any issues out there?

3 Likes

Yeah we are officially working now with Hawkesbury Radio so that’s why they are on air. Also I’ve started working on the RDS and removed the TP flag plus optimized a few other bits and pieces.

3 Likes

RDS from tonight: 2EC Batemans Bay

And for a bit of prosperity, since GNFM is coming next month and it’s probably my last chance to capture it unless I null GNFM during northerly Tropo and yes it’s permanent here just not with RDS, Triple M Gosford (Formerly 2GO)

4 Likes

Still seems like a crazy decision to put 2GN on 107.7 if you can get Triple M Gosford that far south with RDS consistently.

4 Likes

Only during slight enhancements or in particular spots of Bowral.

4 Likes

I can hear MMM/2GO with RDS quite frequently from here as well, and I’m south of Goulburn…

3 Likes

WSFMs RDS has been a few issues lately with song info being “stuck” on a song.

During Easter, it was stuck on “Ain’t Nobody - Chaka Khan” for over a day.

Now it’s stuck on “Black Velvet - Alannah Myles”.

2 Likes

Maybe they’re hoping for a Mississippi style dry spell in Sydney?

Would have been better if it was stuck on ‘I Feel For You’ by Chaka-chaka-chaka-chaka Khan.

2 Likes

Logan’s 101FM was showing RDS for the first time this evening. PS is (generally) ‘101FM’ with an Easy Music genre.

Unfortunately they already appear to have been suckered into the dynamic PS, although they let the station name linger longer than most. Some examples witnessed tonight include:
101FM (lingers for about 10-20 seconds, then)
Easy
hits
at night

and

101FM
News on
the hour

Still, would highly recommend they just leave the ‘101FM’ title locked and let the RadioText do the talking.

6 Likes

PS also showing “Morning Show”.

Radiotext is constantly Logan City’s #1 Station

3 Likes

Also noted no RDS on hit 89.1 Kingaroy.

2 Likes

Shouldnt that say Logan City’s Only Radio Station

4 Likes

Possibly technically on a per licence basis, but Breeze 92.1 identifies as Logan.

1 Like

Technically in terms of ACMA licence areas only the Brisbane wide commercial/community stations are licensed to serve all of Logan City. 101 FM is a community station licenced to serve most of it, while the Breeze 92.1 & Rebel 90.5 commercials target Logan and are licenced to serve part of it. In practice the coverage of 101.1, 92.1 & 90.5 are heard across nearly all of Logan City.

To say the least, it’s audacious for 101 FM to claim they are Logan City’s #1 station when competing against the Brisbane AM/FM commercials, ABC, Breeze & Rebel. I don’t recall seeing a credible survey that backs that claim.

4 Likes

Per @TV.Cynic recent detailed RDS info re 101FM, it appears that their PTY changes to reflect program type & music genres broadcast at the time.

DI changed from 0 to 1 since earlier posting.
Also the station might be broadcasting CT as I noted group 4A output on RDS stream, but reception was poor at the time. @TV.Cynic may like to confirm Clock Time?

2 Likes