Radio Data System (RDS)

Thanks, let the “Spot the RFBurns changes Games” begin!

4 Likes

Awesome! I didn’t realize you were back at Artarmon.

Lol. I do like a Saturday morning challenge whilst sipping on my barista prepared morning coffee.

Okay here’s my discoveries thanks to RDS Spy.

93.7 Koori Radio added CT (group 4A), but note to @RFBurns The Clock Time is ~ 20seconds slow. I’m never a fan of adding CT to RDS feed unless it’s sync’d. Hello Triple M network 3rd party TMS equipment provider.

98.5 Radio 2OOO added group code 10A for PTYN. Displaying as ‘Multi-’.
Maybe the hyphen could be omitted.
Also their PTY changed from Varied to Cultures; (PTY Code 7)

Did I miss any?

103.2 noted a slight RT change. Could have been in place for a while & station generated.

I’ve also noted that 97.7 SBS Radio 2 Sydney (Gore Hill) has improved their CT accuracy, now only 3 seconds slow.
UPDATE: Now accurate CT!

I wonder when FBi (Gore Hill) will get their RDS issues sorted?

:+1:

Has anyone here noticed if SBS Radio 2 have added RDS to Adelaide & Darwin FM transmitters, given recent RDS changes across other state capitals?

4 Likes

What are you comparing the CT to?
It’s currently sync’d to the Aus NTP Pool servers, will be linked to the TXA NTP server over the next week or 2.

Yes I can probably omit the hyphen.

You did miss one thing on Koori Radio RT, there’s a blank space now where there wasn’t one before.

I wanted to change 2MFM to PTY Code 20 (Religion) but released the Nautel internal RDS encoders don’t include that, PTY code 20 is listed as Spare, so I have to leave that as is, with the PTYN as Religion.

3 Likes

RDS now on 2BBB’s two transmitters.

5 Likes

Looking good Mechie!

2 Likes

Mmm…RDS Spy compares received Group 4A data (CT) to PC time.
If the two match it outputs accurate, if not it provides + or - time difference to one second accuracy, assuming time offsets are correct & received station is in same time zone as PC.
My PC sources its time from time.windows.com server
Using that source & comparing to other Sydney FM RDS stations with their CT outputs, stations: 105.7 Triple j, 2DAY FM, Hope 103.2, 101.7 WS FM, 93.3 Northside Radio, 97.7 2SBS Radio, 96.9 NOVA, 95.3 Smooth are all CT accurate with RDS Spy.
Therefore on the basis of probability something likely problematic with the time sourced from your Aus NTP Pool Server for Koori Radio, hopefully CT accuracy will be restored when you switch to the TXA NTP server?
Did Koori Radio request CT be added to their RDS?

I did! :smile:

That’s an odd oversight by Nautel.

Nice :+1:
@Mechsta re your pic:

1. Is that pic of 107.3 or 93.3 transmitter?
  2. Are both (above) transmitters now showing the same RDS display as per your pic?
3 Likes

That was of the 107.3 service and both transmitters are showing the same stuff.

3 Likes

GOLD COAST:
99.4 Rebel FM has made some changes to their RDS AF. Now showing 93.7 & 99.4 frequencies.
It’s possible 100.6 made similar changes. Anyone?

Does 102.9 Hot Tomato now transmit RDS Clock Time?

2 Likes

Seems like there is, guess we’ll find out when I connect to the TXA NTP server.

No, TXA have no contact with Koori, we don’t think there’s anyone there in a technical role now, all contact with Koori comes to a dead end with no response.

3 Likes

Going to be interesting when something in their broadcast chain fails.

2 Likes

Yes Hot Tomato now send CT

3 Likes

Noted Koori Radio’s RDS CT now in sync & showing accurate with RDS Spy.
That was fast work @RFBurns :slight_smile:

Also Hope 103.2’s RDS subcarrier level has dropped by 5-8dB or so over the last year. Might subsequently be slower to decode for some.

3 Likes

Have only seen 3 stations with RDS since crossing the Great Dividing Range (at Murrurundi) to Moree.

92.9 TAM
88.9fm on 2YOU Tamworth and this is now also on their 96.3 relay at Quirindi
Faith FM LPON 87.6 at Gunnedah.

Hoping for some new RDS logs tomorrow via Goondiwindi, Warwick and Stanthorpe, in particular Rebel and Breeze.

4 Likes

Goondiwindi RDS

7 Likes

What a great road trip @Radiohead , I really miss those days. Its the best time of year to do it in my view.

3 Likes

Nice!

Both songs demostrate the Rebel and Breeze difference quite well too.

7 Likes

Warwick RDS caps

Dynamic PS Alert on 89.3 “Rose City FM”.

CITY FM rotated with ROSE

91.9 Hit didn’t have a frequency positioner like Toowoomba does with Hit100.7

Nothing else in Warwick with RDS.

Will post Stanthorpe caps (where I am now) tonight.

5 Likes

Stanthorpe - RDS per capita Australia winner

5 stations here have it for a population of approx 4,000… not bad at all

3 Likes

Just like in NZ.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Is Radio Tab 93.1 there with RDS still?

1 Like