Pure Gold Network

Yes as @Radio-dude says, on Saturday night I heard B.A.D’s ‘Rush’ in which they cut out the whole middle spoken bit eg. ‘I wish I could sing like that… rhythm and melody’…

WS also talks over the intro of songs for waay too long, and cuts off the end of songs waay too early.

Very annoying… they might claim they play ‘better music and more of it’ but we are hearing less and less of each song.

But then on Saturday nights, they are happy to play the whole 12 inch edit of some songs in full…

Go figure.

6 Likes

The worst i heard on WSFM was Patience by Guns N Roses…that comes in edited under 3 minutes.Chops out 2.5 minutes of guitar and lyrics.

2 Likes

I wonder if ARN create their own edits, or do record companies give them artist approved edits?

As the shortest version of ‘Patience’ by Guns n Roses I can find on iTunes is 5:54 m:s.

3 Likes

A lot of radio edits in general are hard to find. For example I can’t find the clean versions anywhere (ie Spotify, Apple iTunes/Music, etc) of a lot of Greenday songs and Mumford and Sons’ ‘Little Lion Man’ for example.

Makes we wonder if they are made available exclusively to radio stations only. Especially the edits where they’ve cleanly censored swear words. Only access to the original recording mix/stems would have allowed them to do that so I assume it came from the record companies.

Triple M have been cutting this from ‘Rush’ for at least the last 5 years too.

Another one that regularly gets cut is Third Eye Blind’s ‘Semi Charmed Life’. There’s various extra bridges before the final quiet chorus that regularly get cut by most stations.

4 Likes

I mean, I can understand why radio stations do it, but I think they need to be bit selective of how much they edit a song as I think it changes the whole fabric of a song.

That ‘Patience’ version is too heavily edited, chopping a song in half is too much.

Yet they often seem to be happy to play Stevie Wright’s ‘Evie’ Parts I, II and III in it’s entirety.

3 Likes

ARN creates their own edits.

5 Likes

It varies. Some songs have official edits available, particularly the case with more recent songs which have alternate lyrics, and some are created by the stations, or have been created by one station and then shared around.

Many other pieces are available for some songs too. For example versions with no lyrics (for karaoke, background music) or even with vocals isolated. The digital libraries available to stations contain many goodies not available to the general public.

4 Likes

Which probably also explains how/where the censored versions are created, which are not always publicly available either, as for instance you couldn’t do that using just an MP3 editor like Audacity.

2 Likes

Looks like WSFM music director Madigan now doing Totally 80s at 1pm weekdays permanently.

3 Likes

I thought Jason Staveley was the WSFM MD?

Staveley is group-wide “head of music” for ARN for both WSFM and Gold 104, which sits above the music directors afaik. May still be MD for Gold? Not for WS though.

2 Likes
2 Likes

WSFM in Sydney is doing the “A to Z of the 80s” this week.

Source: WSFM Facebook page

4 Likes

I had a listen this morning.

They were doing the Ds with songs from Dionne Warwick (That’s What Friends Are For), Diesel (Cry In Shame, which really should be under J), Do Re Mi (Man Overboard) a couple from Debbie Harry (French Kissin In The USA and I Want That Man) and others.

It was well presented with music facts and interviews. This is something WSFM does very well (aside from the music choices being pretty safe) and something Triple M should do more of.

4 Likes

Apart from Jonesy & Amanda, I too agree. This is what makes WSFM so strong in the ratings.

Their announcers show clear passion & knowledge for the music.

If only Triple M was less about the sport & comedy, and more (or just an equal amount) of focus on its rock music.

6 Likes

Christian wrote a long post on his Instagram about being naturalised as an Aussie citizen, which you can read here

7 Likes

Also see

3 Likes

Speaking of… Jonesy and Amanda will have a week off from Monday because Amanda will have her hip surgery so it will the best bits from 18 years on air together.

6 Likes

Jonesy could host the show solo without Amanda. It saves WSFM getting a replacement while Amanda has hip surgery

1 Like

They’re very good friends, so I don’t blame Jonesy choosing to not do it solo with guests.