Random Radio

Yes you’ll be spoilt for choice as others have pointed out Zinc is another good option that’s a bit different.

Believe it or not, depending on where you are in Noosa you might also be able to pick up Breeze 102.5 and Rebel 106.7 from Wide Bay. The signal makes it to Gympie and reportedly some Breeze listeners are in Noosa. I’m guessing they might be on a hill but you could give it a try.

6 Likes

Yeah, from my experience with Noosa, you would need to have a good line of sight to the north/ north west to get Breeze and Rebel and be a bit elevated.

5 Likes

Have received 74 tapes of Coodabeen episodes from 80s and 90s.
Will be digitising and each episode will be placed on my ROAR PODCAST

9 Likes

A new year and new attempts by Sydney’s music stations to boost the listenership of the breakfast shows. So many stations will go down the road of forced fun, big laughs, crazy stories and compulsory random bursts of fake laughter. Yet it’s interesting to note that most of the No.1 breakfast shows throughout the decades did not rely on this formulaic and rigid approach to programming. A quick look at how “being different” seems to win over Sydney listeners:

• 2SM and Ian Macrae: Ian’s offsider was the Honourable Nick Jones (“you can call me hon”). Nick was a listener who once called into the show and then made it to air as Ian’s cohost. Different.
  • 2UW and Rik Melbourne: Rik would talk to the 2UW staff during the breakfast show each morning. Unscripted conversations with colleagues like Lindal (the traffic reporter) and Roula (the Greek-Australian cleaner at the station) made up a big chuck of his show. Different.
  • 2MMM and Doug Mulray: A man in his 40s on an under 40 station? This is why he was known as Uncle Doug. Different.
  • 2DayFM: Wendy Harmer and Peter Moon: Let’s team up two people who do not like each other. The tension on air was often pulpable. Battle of the Sexes was a simple idea that worked because the duo were usually at war. Different.
  • 2DayFM and KIIS: Kyle and Jackie O: This duo don’t try to be funny. They are personalities and not comedians. It is rare for either host to laugh at something the other says. Different.

I suspect that when Sydney’s next big breakfast show emerges it will not be the prefabricated “by the book” show that is favoured by the networks. Goodness knows, 2DayFM have proven this is not what’s wanted. It will be a show with a difference. The questions is – what will give it that edge? What will be the difference?

7 Likes

look forward to hearing them soon Rhett!

2 Likes

imagine if they just download the song from youtube and played it in full… (this is how a few stations like 91fm in Vietnam could play some lesser-known tracks, like they’re gonna playing a song that struggled to be on spotify and only have some like few hundred thousands of views on youtube)

1 Like

I landed in Noosa a week ago. I decided to do an experiment. I wanted to see how long it would take for me to see an ad for a radio station. I have been watching local TV (MAFS), reading tourist brochures and websites and driving local roads. I have been bombarded with ads for local restaurants, shopping centres, car hire businesses and even wine and gin bars (so good).

After one week I finally found a mention for a local radio station. It was on an electricity hub as I left the national park. I suppose it’s a sign that radio is less and less relevant, especially for tourists.

5 Likes

It’s probably a bit too early in the year to be seeing ads for radio on TV in general.

They generally only run when surveys are about to commence.

(ps. I like that MixFM logo though… noice).

5 Likes

Been listening to Snow FM on lava.net.au/stations and have heard two Mimi Webb songs in the past two hours - “Ghost of You” at around 8:40pm (local time) and “Red Flags” (her latest hit) about an hour later.

Only just found out about this website this week - and I love that there’s a dashboard with all the stations and what songs they are playing at the present time!

6 Likes

Snow fm and Eagle fm are both great radio stations, and probably the closest thing in Australia to a true CHR station.
They also play quite a bit of Australian music that you would not here on Nova.
Quite a good listen.

6 Likes

Ditto.

The 92.7 MixFM logo is one of the best new logos out there at the moment.

IMO the different colours represent the different variety played.

Well done.

Not sure the same can be said about the SeaFM Sunshine Coast logo. It is a wannabe old Today Network logo. And I cannot figure out why they need the “!” in their tagline, “Sunny Coast Hits!”

5 Likes

which in itself was a terrible logo :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

what do we realistically have to do to increase the variety of formats on broadcast radio? we have such a narrow range of formats here, as opposed to overseas.

IN new york for example, there’s an all Broadway station, a hip hop station, an all 90’s station, an LGBTQ station, Reggae and Jazz.

DAB in london is another example - LGBTQ, Arabic, Musicals and more

Now i get some of these will not work in australia - an all broadway station would be very niche, but surely we can do better than what we have here - its all very samey and i feel like somehting needs to be done otherwise people will migrate to streaming where they are better served

6 Likes

What’s wrong with 100 different decades channels?

2 Likes

Who doesn’t want 4 90’s stations?

2 Likes

New York metropolitan area alone has a population of 20m. That’s almost as much as we have on our entire country.

2 Likes

i get that, but sureley some of the formats on air in NYC or London could work in australia

2 Likes

as a secondary DAB station, possibly. I share your frustation that the mix of DAB stations are mostly just variants of existing analogue formats.

4 Likes

I agree with you.

But I’d just be happy with a soft AC and a proper rock station (like Rebel) on FM in Brisbane for example. Having to rely on fringe stations for such basic formats in a major metro market inducates a complete failure of the regulatory environment.

There isn’t a proper full time rock station on FM in Sydney or Melbourne and that’s a complete joke too.

The country doesn’t have a BBC R2 format despite R2 being the most listened to station in western Europe.

I could go on, but it’s depressing…

In Australia we don’t even have the mainstream formats covered, let alone niche formats.

3 Likes

#WorldRadioDay

3 Likes