Nova Network

It’s because it is Friday Feels today.
IMO Nova is generally sounding much better then it was 6 months ago when they were all about the greatest hits.

If they can play more of the throwbacks Smallzy plays in his show in DC’s shift and across the weekend, and be the first to break new hits it will be on the money.

1 Like

Completely agree about breaking new hits. No commercial Sydney station really does it these days.

Nova = new

So Nova should play, “New Hits First”.

Stream of consciousness incoming…

I get the sentiment but it’s harder and harder to do this without compromising your playlist. The distribution method of old from labels doesn’t really allow for this anymore. I do agree that stations need to be quicker on turnaround, ie what is hitting on Spotify/online but that point you’re already playing from behind.

The days of radio breaking a hit are probably gone or at the very least few and far between. Having said all of that a good PD/MD can paper over this to an extent.

Perhaps they need to get away from being forcefed the singles and playing tracks from albums (Taylor Swift’s new album might be a perfect example - the first single especially was awful but the album contains plenty of hit radio friendly tracks that are also good!).

Thoughts?

2 Likes

And yet triple j manage with Good Nights in particular. There are a decent number of premieres during the week before a song is released (usually) on the Friday.

I find it bewildering that CHR radio in particular hasn’t made a bigger deal out of New Music Fridays - maybe because the Hit Network is too busy spinning their RnB Fridays compilation CD for the 85th time, or because ARN doesn’t understand how to program a CHR brand, or because Capital in the UK haven’t done it yet so there’s no template to copy from. Regardless of the reason it’s still pretty daft.

Hear hear - some of the songs sent to radio are dreadful when her albums are much more polished than you’d otherwise belief

4 Likes

Agreed about RnB Friday’s.

It’s awful. It has had its day.

I switch off every Friday.

5 Likes

Valuable collateral in terms of the concert though for now. RnB is very restrictive and they’d be better opening it wider to a party jams sort of feel.

1 Like

Wonder if Nova will persist with Matt Tilley into 2020 with mornings quite low?

1 Like

You’d assume he’s on at least a 12 month contract, probably two years. Not sure where else in the network he’d go?

1 Like

Gardening leave

1 Like

Wouldn’t surprise me; what a waste though

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Nova 100’s Chrissie, Sam and Browny had a Skype chat with SEN breakfast’s Garry Lyon and Tim Watson this morning, to promote Fox Footy’s new show The Bullring which premieres tonight.

1 Like

Looks like Nova 96.9 and 100 are back to sharing their playlists song for song again across all day parts again.

So far none of the more out their throwbacks that Smallzy was playing have been played.

Smallyz had the smallest drop in the last survey of all the day parts, so the audience did not take issue with these songs.

Dc dropped more with the standard Nova playlist.

Will they also tone down the Friday feels??

I have also noticed that the other Nova stations have dropped the time tunnel at 9 am to focus on playing fresh hits to be aligned with Sydney.

1 Like

The worst thing about Nova is that those Throwbacks and Feels are so often repeated. Really hate the way so many of those same songs are played as often as fresh hits. Who actually wants to hear those fifty songs so bloody often? The station sounds stale.

The other problem is keeping some songs on high rotation for way too long. Right now it’s Sucker by the Jonas Brothers. Good song but it is nearly 6 months old now and it shouldn’t be still played every 2 hours. They’ve had two singles since then, that could be played instead, but are not. Only Human is top notch and deserves to be on high rotation.

Also, there are so many other hit songs which are still on the chart but only had a short run in the Nova most played lists but deserve to get played more often. Also so much fresh music struggles to be heard. This needs to be looked at.

3 Likes

You can’t be listening to Nova. I’m so sick of Only Human it’s played so much.
To be fair, I’m sure I heard Only Human and Sucker played within two hours of each other the other day…

Well…Sucker has been played five times already today and Only Human three times.

But you’re missing the point. The song that is six months old should not be played so often. There are so many others that should be played ahead of that song.

1 Like

Nova 106.9 doing Throwback Thursday again from today. I wonder if this means less older music on Fridays.

1 Like

Complete overkill by Nova 106.9 considering Friday feels is network wide and skews heavily to Throwbacks.

I have been streaming Snow fm / Eagle fm and this is how the Nova network should sound.

The playlist is not heavily based on tired old hits. When they do play a high school hit as they call them it is a worthy throwback.
They play plenty of Australian artists that don’t get airplay such as Ruel.

Today they broke the new Tone’s and I hit.
Nova 96.9 should stop copying the playlist of kiis 106.5 and sound different.

1 Like

Nova 96.9 this morning with Friday Feels, every second song is a mouldy oldie. :rage:

|2019-09-13|06:07:15AEST|Lady Gaga|Born This Way|4m 20s|2011||
|2019-09-13|06:54:45AEST|Christina Aguilera|Genie In A Bottle|3m 38s|1999||
|2019-09-13|07:08:03AEST|Black Eyed Peas|Don’t Phunk With My Heart|2005||
|2019-09-13|07:24:54AEST|Kelly Clarkson|Since U Been Gone|3m 9s|2004||
|2019-09-13|07:41:36AEST|Backstreet Boys|Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)|1997||
|2019-09-13|08:10:55AEST|One Direction|What Makes You Beautiful|3m 20s|2011||
|2019-09-13 08:40:27AEST |Jay Z, Alicia Keys|Empire State Of Mind|2009||

1 Like