Nova Network

I think DC is covering Ben & Liam on Nova 91.9 at the moment while its Ben & Liam reheated.

2 Likes

Think you’ve got the scoop on that!

Although he’s being promoted as Keegan for some strange reason: is that what he’s been using on air when doing cover shifts?

2 Likes

Keegs has been doing Adelaide afternoons for a few weeks now.

2 Likes

Smallzy’s Surgery will broadcast from Dusseldorf, Germany tonight and tomorrow night, covering the MTV Europe Music Awards.

1 Like

Credit where credit’s due. It’s good to see Nova putting good resources into its night show
 and it is still very much music-based unlike KIIS and Hit which are more content-based.

1 Like

7 Likes

That is what makes Nova unlistenable, I am now switching over to KIIS as soon as Fitzy & Wippa end and listening to the last hour and a half of K&J.
The throwbacks on KIIS are one hundred times better.

If Nova dropped their throwbacks and ended up playing the same Throwbacks as KIIS 106.5 it would be a massive improvement.

The problem is the programmers are so lazy that if it works in Perth they will roll it out to all markets even if fails dismally everywhere else.
Either lazy programming or they are being cheap and nasty and won’t spend the money to invest in research and alternative logs for their other markets.

They were so keen to move Nova 106.9 off their Sounds Different Log, that rated much higher across the board, and onto the mainstream log.
What did it achieve, Breakfast and Day Parts down. If it was not for Breakfast and Drive the station would not be #1 or #2 in the Brisbane market.

5 Likes

I happened to catch the end of Kyle Sandilands on his show today. He was on some sort of rant with conspiracies against him. He’s obviously friends with Meghan Trainor since they’re working on Australian Idol together. He was going on a rant about how KIIS plays her new single but other radio stations must not be playing it because they have it out for him.

He was saying that the song has charted so people must love it and asked why aren’t other radio stations playing it. He then specifically named Nova, 2Day and Fox and said that “somebody” told him that they don’t play certain songs if they are somehow connected to Kyle. He believes that they aren’t plating Meghan Trainor because she’s working with him. :crazy_face:

Funny thing is, I switched to Nova later and Meghan’s song is being played this week. It’s just another case of Nova being slow off the mark with playing fresh hits. I’ve mentioned other songs in this thread about a dozen times. They’ve only just started playing the new Dean Lewis - How Do I Say Goodbye song this week too, after it moved up to be the highest Australian song in the Top 50. Same with The Neighbourhood - Sweater Weather which was added months after being in the top 50.

Also, so many other decent songs like Numb by Khalid and Marshmello or Bad Habit by Steve Lacy were added the playlist for a couple of weeks and dropped without getting a decent run.

3 Likes

Dropped so they can play it wasn’t me by Shaggy one hundred more times a week!!!

5 Likes

Exactly. They have this obsession with what they consider to be RnB “classics” but they don’t give anything new a chance to become a classic.

Another one is “No Diggity by Blackstreet” which they rediscovered as another “classic” and play to death. I don’t even remember that song when it was originally released. I don’t think it ever had airplay in Australia.

3 Likes

Released in 1996 definitely was not played on Australian commercial radio back then probably Triple J.

It only got picked up by Nova because it topped a Hit Network RnB countdown.

BTW I heard Lullaby by Sean Mullins on KIIS yesterday, Throwbacks like this Nova should play.

3 Likes

‘No Diggity’ definitely got airplay in Perth, at least on the local nightly countdowns on PMFM 92.9 and 96.1 Triple M. I never listened to Triple J back then, and was very familiar with the song.

3 Likes

Mimi Webb’s new song “Ghost of You” (which was released on October 7) received its first airplay (to my knowledge) on radio in Australia this evening, during Smallzy’s Surgery at about 8:20pm Sydney/Melbourne time.

2 Likes

BBC R1, and Capital fm have been playing this song for a couple of months now.

Does Nova have the balls to play the radio edit of Messy in Heaven by Verebee and Goddard during the surgery???

Big hit in the UK, top 5. On high rotation on BBC R1, Capital, and Kiss, Triple J has just picked it up this week. Triple J plays the uncut version obviously, in the UK it is the safe radio edit.

Maybe a good dance track to get a spin on Starter fm??? @TheChase

3 Likes

This is exactly the sort of stuff Nova should be playing. As a mentioned before there are lots of other dance and club hits which are huge in the UK and Europe at the moment and many are charting.

Nova should be playing them and have Saturday night Club show which has all this type of music. Great for parties and for people on their way to a night out.

9 Likes

Woeful. Considering they did an interview with her in the lead up to this single being released. Mimi only did a handful of radio interviews in Australia. Great talent, great music. Again, Nova missed the mark - again.

5 Likes

She must have been on a very tight schedule in Australia, doing only three shows on the East Coast (Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne) as well as one over in New Zealand before flying over to the United States for three weeks of gigs.

Her music has not charted well here; her highest charting song is “Dumb Love” which peaked at #43 in the week beginning 23 August 2021.

Nonetheless her music gets some good streaming numbers here; Dumb Love has received over 36M streams on Spotify.

It’s also typical of some countries to delay debuting a new song by any artist until some two or three months after it was actually released. For example, “Sweet but Psycho” by Ava Max didn’t hit the airwaves in Australia until mid-November 2018 - some three months after it was released.

Speaking of Ava Max - her second-most recent song “Million Dollar Baby” has been played twice on Smallzy’s Surgery this week, more than ten weeks after it was released. She dropped a new song called “Weapons” on November 11.

1 Like

Does that strategy work anymore? It may have worked before TikTok, Apple Music etc when the only way to get the song was by the record company releasing the single.

Now we can get access to new music so easily without the record companies even releasing the song into our market.

For example the song Messy in Heaven is already #13 on the Australian Shazam chart before getting any airplay on Australian radio.
Nova will only jump on a song like this if goes top 10 in Australia and stays there for a few weeks.
That is sad state of Australian radio when it comes to adding new music.

3 Likes

I think these days Australian radio will only play hits that have charted very well in (say) the UK, US or that artist’s native country (for example, Benee’s “Supalonely”), or has potential to chart well here.

What I also know was that Topic and Becky Hill’s 2021 collaboration “My Heart Goes (La Di Da)” didn’t even crack the ARIA Top 50 yet it got regular airplay on Nova during summer last/this year, and even today it’s still played.

The recently released Mimi Webb song in question has only peaked at #23 on the UK charts. There, her highest peaking song is “House on Fire” (#6); that song got some airplay here in Australia in March/April.

1 Like

Another song Fine Line by Mabel was her breakout hit, top 5 in the UK, but got completely ignored in Australia. IMO it actually is one of her best songs. If Australian radio picked this song up it probably would have done well here too.

Don’t call me up, got played to death by Australian radio.

I think stations like Nova have gone ultra safe as they are now targeting an audience up to 54 years of age. 18-39 use to be their target market. When they use to target younger more new music was added, and 50% old songs did not make up the playlist like they do now.

In the UK CHR stations still target 18-39 in Australia they don’t anymore.

3 Likes