Nova Network

Maybe they should have started the survey period a week later in January and had no break now.

I agree with on air talent having these weeks off.

As you can see, there are five weeks in the year between surveys to have off.

Then stay on air over Christmas into the summer holidays.

If you look at the most successful announcers at the top of their game, especially talk where audiences tune in for the personality rather than the music or other elements, they go on holidays or are sick and ratings barely notice it.

It would be possible to take a break during the year of a block of weeks instead.

(this discussion would be better suited to a ratings thread or random radio thread).

2 Likes

They are the same station outside of breakfast shifts. Same music. News, ads, IDs promo differ of course.

1 Like

At least Kate, Tim and Marty are not prerecorded today.

2 Likes

Radio Ratings Survey #1 2018 2Moro
FM Predictions: + Going Up - Going Down
Sydney-
Nova +
smooth FM -
2DayFM +
Triple M +
KIIS -
WS FM -
JJJ -

Melbourne-
Nova -
smooth FM -
Fox -
Triple M +
KIIS +
Gold -
JJJ +

Brisbane-
Nova -
Hit +
97.3 -
Triple M +
JJJ +

Adelaide-
Mix 102.3 -
Nova +
Hit +
Triple M -
JJJ -

Perth-
Mix 94.5 -
Hit +
Nova -
96.1 +
JJJ -

Predictions Based on the Market and the Sound of the Radio Station

For those interested - according to his Twitter profile, he has now joined ABC Gold Coast. It was also mentioned on-air he’ll be filling in on Breakfast next Monday morning.

2 Likes

I just saw a generic NOVA “Freshest Hits” ad (featuring Ed Sheehan and Chris Martin) on FOXTEL (BBC Knowledge channel). Didn’t mention any frequency eg, 96.9 or 100

I haven’t seen that before.

1 Like

Fox Sports too

1 Like

Sounds like Nova 96.9 is making changes to its playlist. They already have “Throwback Thursday” but today they have something called “Friday Feels”.

They’ve just played an old J Lo song and (yet another) Ed Sheeran album track and now Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon all between 7.30am and 8.10am. This was in addition to the two throwback tracks they had between 7.15am and 6.45am.

Instead of playing more Fresh music, they’re going the other way now. Is this a reaction to the shift in the 2Day playlist? Why are they playing so much more old music during the breakfast show? I have a feeling they may be looking in making a shift across the whole day, since my last two Novarated surveys sent by email only asked me to rate only old tracks.

Now, with 2WS, Smooth and 2Day all covering similar ground (although varying in styles and eras), it just seems stupid that Nova are trying to imitate the other stations rather than carve out their own style. No longer an innovator, now just an imitator.

I feel like they’re making changes in the wrong areas.
The news bulletins are still only 60 seconds long and with sport and weather 90 seconds. They have the exact same news stories every half an hour and the entertainment story is always some rubbish about the Kardashians. :rolleyes: So repetitive.

Any new songs are a set of fifteen that get repeated every two hours. Things are just getting worse and worse.

1 Like

Did they borrow that positioner from Capital FM too?

2 Likes

As long as they don’t start RnB Friday’s, I’m happy!

They’re just giving people more reasons not to keep listening for long periods of time.

Starting to sound like it though with more mouldy oldies from 8.25am to 8.55am (yet another) Bruno Mars track That’s What I Like and also 2upac/Dr Dre with California Love.

they have flogged this song to death, it’s likely no longer enjoyed by its audience.

Apparently, the only time to play Australian music is between 10pm and midnight these days. Such a disgrace.

Thursday
|23:58|5 Seconds Of Summer - Want You Back|
|23:54|Flume - Never Be Like You|
|23:50|The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition|
|23:47|Mashd N Kutcher - Need Me|
|23:44|Jessica Mauboy - #We Got Love|
|23:37|Amy Shark - I Said Hi|
|23:33|Illy - Papercuts|
|23:29|Kita Alexander - Hotel|
|23:26|Stafford Brothers - Hello|
|23:23|Sheppard - Coming Home|
|23:15|Marcus Marr - The Trouble With Us|
|23:12|Iggy Azalea - Fancy|
|23:09|Starley - Call On Me (Remix)|
|23:06|Vance Joy - We’re Going Home|
|23:02|Bliss N Eso - Moments|
|22:55|Peking Duk - Stranger|
|22:52|Vera Blue - Lady Powers|
|22:49|Kygo - Firestone|
|22:45|Sia - Cheap Thrills|
|22:39|Angus & Julia Stone - Chateau|
|22:36|Dylan Joel - Run To The River|
|22:33|Pnau - Go Bang|
|22:30|Jonas Blue - Mama|
|22:26|Troye Sivan - Wild|
|22:18|Matt Corby - Brother|
|22:15|Jordie Ireland - Take Cover|
|22:11|Gang Of Youths - Let Me Down Easy|
|22:08|The Veronicas - In My Blood|
|22:05|Galantis - Tell Me You Love Me|
|22:02|Dean Lewis - Waves|

If they want to have a wider playlist play some new shit and stuff the others aren’t playing. Just copying their playlists isn’t going to help.

When I’m driving late Nova has the best playlist. Stuff I haven’t heard before, it’s a shame.

There’s a good mix of latest Australian releases and recent or past hits. The problem is, I rarely ever listen to the radio at that time and that is probably true for the majority of the population.

It’s just so disappointing for the local music industry because Aussie music just doesn’t get played throughout the day and they’re only playing it at this time because to meet local content quotas.

2 Likes

A lot more variety today on Nova 96.9 with Friday Feels Throwback. Because it is Nova 96.9 and not Nova 106.9 all very safe songs. But better then hearing the same current hits on repeat ever 2.5-3 hours.

I have notice Nova 106.9 is becoming more like Nova 96.9 with their playlist having the same logs other then throwbacks, Throwback Thursday, and the odd song that is only played on Nova 106.9. This seems to have happened since Greg Burns took over.

1 Like

So much of Australian music selected for CHR formats is poor. Rubbish off the internet like Troye Silvan or washed up reality show contestants.

There’s not the number or depth of live musicians both soloists and bands touring live music venues where much of our 70’s 80’s music success came from, the ones with true staying power.

1 Like

Not sure about the rest of the Nova Network but Kate, Tim and Marty are taking next week off. They’ll be back the following week (Monday, 23rd April).