Nova Network

That is appalling…

1 Like

Oh geez. Probably the biggest advertising fail of 2018 so far?

7 Likes

Good on Ben Healy for the tweet, if APN’s bungle, looks like they will have some reimbursement to make to the Nova account.

Happens more often than you’d think in out of home (outdoor) media, a few wrong clicks on a web booking form by inexperienced staff either end.

7 Likes

Troy Ellis will join the on-air line-up as a floater from Monday 5th March.

1 Like

I doubt the Camerons will be too happy with a Nova 100 advertisement in the centre of Geelong

4 Likes

I’d suggest Geelong is technically out of the broadcast area… so are they able to advertise there…?

Don’t the Camerons have a giant screen of their own rotating through their own station’s shows…?

Yes that’s correct, Geelong is outside the Melbourne licence area, I didn’t think they would be able to advertise here. Grants have their billboards about a block away on the building where their studios are.

1 Like

There are no restrictions on where radio (or TV) stations can advertise. Many Brisbane stations have advertised on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts over the years. Stereo 10/4IP even had a storefront at Surfers Paradise.

5 Likes

Geelong is in the melbourne license area. We get radio books here.

This is true.

On the Pacific Highway just out of Taree, there used to a big billboard advertising Port Macquarie’s ROX FM / STAR FM (102.3) to north bound traffic. That was there for a number of years.

Coast Rock FM Gosford used to place ads in a Lake Macquarie newspaper.

2 Likes

It’s not. You wouldn’t be getting books unless they were for Geelong survey or market research from a Melbourne station. Either that or they’re mistake books.

17%20pm

Hmm I used to live in Lara, which is apparently outside, but yes they did give us books a few years ago. Interesting.

1 Like

While Geelong isn’t part of Melbourne’s LAP, it is part of GFK’s survey distribution for Melbourne.

Melbourne LAP::

Melbourne GFK Map

The same thing happens with the Sydney survey. Sydney’s official LAP ends at the Brooklyn bridge, but survey books are sent as far as Budgewoi / Morisette. The Central Coast is a very important region for the Sydney surveys and marks up a big part of the results.

2 Likes

thanks for explanation.

Makes sense as the Melbourne stations are more popular down here and many people commute to Melbourne.

Also, I am surprised to see that Pakenham is considered regional when it comes to radio

1 Like

For years hit Gippsland (94.3/97.9 Star FM at the time) positioned itself as “Gippsland and Melbourne’s South East’s Hit Music Station” for that reason

Star FM

1 Like

It’s spelt Morisset.

1 Like

Interesting. I like the idea of surveying non-license areas for research purposes, but not sure that I agree it should be included in the main results.

Why? It’s weird that all the way down the Mornington Peninsula is counted as Melbourne Metro but not Geelong which is an hour away compared to 90 - 120 mins away. Basically only because of Bay/Krock.

1 Like

It’s weird because the Geelong survey doesn’t survey Melbourne. Nor does the Central Coast survey Sydney. Nor does Newcastle survey Central Coast or Sydney.

My feeling is if you’re going to survey in your non-broadcast area, you should at least invite those broadcasters to be a part of the survey.

Especially as they’re not supposed to broadcasting further than the license area anyway… (of course it would be impossible to cut coverage to Geelong only, but the point stands).