Nine (WIN)

Sorry for the long walk down memory lane/rant…

Didn’t they also still have the dotted 9WIN logo at the time which helped with network association and recognition when the Nine logo was still seen?

Nine had a good affiliate branding scheme with their dotted logo until the dots were briefly removed during the leadership of that fool from Collingwood, WIN & NBN lost their dots going with a rounded font for their ‘logos’, mappy had appeared (transparent then) and of course Bruce Gordon never brought back the dots.

That dotted co-branding was great as Nine has recently realised by extended it to their secondary channels; wanting to have some association with the network brand on secondary channels is understandable, and (perhaps a little surprisingly) the 7 co-branding is working pretty well now too (ignoring SC).

Weren’t GEM & Go! originally not having Nine-specific branding deliberate, being nice to Bruce (& any other affiliates at the time), at least partly?

Of course that wasn’t good enough for Bruce so he bit the hand that fed him including with the first iteration of his own crude attempt at co-branding with huge solid logos on-top of Nine’s watermarks, which he’s doing again now on One & 11.

Let’s also remember that even before secondary channels existed the rebranding was basically a nonsense; about 23 h/d it was Nine content, with it being only slightly less Ten content now.

Almost 15 months after the end of their Nine affiliation WIN are still using their old Nine-era rounded font logo instead of refreshing their branding & presentation to best integrate with Ten; no wonder it looks so disjointed.

WIN need to realise they can’t win a rebranding war (they lost with 9GEM, 9Go! & 9Life); it is off-putting to viewers and Bruce’s on-screen shitstains just accelerate the decline in broadcast TV.

He’s again gone too far co-branding secondary channels which - unlike Seven’s (or now Nine’s) - don’t have a network brand. This doesn’t really strengthen the WIN brand; it’s too off-putting so I’d say the negative outweighs any positive.

Hopefully when the affiliation agreement is next negotiated CBS won’t put up with so much of Bruce’s crap.
There’s no way that Ten Eyewitness News is avoiding a logo cover up just because of niceness on Bruce’s part, it has to be a contractual requirement, so I hope such restrictions will be extended to disallow the solid monstrosities we’re seeing now.

Perhaps Bruce has seen what CBS are like to affiliates in their home country and as CBS want to grow their brand internationally there’s no way they’d be inclined to allow Bruce to cover it up like he’s doing to Ten now.

WIN need a new branding strategy, a new consistent logo (get rid of the Nine-ish font), maybe even a new name entirely (but I’ve always thought WIN was a stupid name), but importantly not pissing viewers off with huge solid logos on-screen, but whatever they do it needs to be something positive which works alongside Ten’s branding and soon probably the CBS brand too.

Prime7, GWN7, SC9 are doing fine so is there really a need for a separate & strident “WIN” brand?

8 Likes

Do we think Bruce Gordon is going to be happy to be CBS’s lap dog particularly after he has been so royally screwed by them?

I can see a situation where Bruce will attempt to get out of the affiliation deal with Ten and approach Seven with an offer to get into bed with them when the affiliation agreement with Prime comes up for renewal in 2019.

Who would want to get into bed with Bruce now? Prime wants to be eaten up by 7West already.

5 Likes

Key word “wants”.

Takes two to tango and right now seven don’t really want prime. I doubt seven would get into bed with anyone else at the moment.

Best hope for Bruce is to go it alone or stick it out with ten.

SBS???

I don’t see why people are complaining about the Arial Rounded wordmark for WIN? The textures have been changed to be more Ten-esque, and IMO it works quite well with the circle logo. WIN was the only affiliate to use a rounded font for their logo under Nine, any others used fonts similar to Arial Black.

WIN wouldn’t have wanted to change their logo too much out of their own pride and to keep fooling viewers, but they have repurposed it to work with the Ten brand (ignoring mappy). You could also argue that its origins go back to the WIN-4 days…

1 Like

Sorry to be ignorant - how is WIN co-branding one and 11?

Big solid WINs ontop of big solid 11 and One watermarks, which are shown solid throughout the program.

WIN is a terrible network.

4 Likes

Has he been screwed by CBS? He’s lost his shareholding - but thats not CBS’s doing. Bad gamble.

Doesn’t matter of course, it’s how he feels. He wanted to own Ten… so yeah he’s not going to be happy.

But WIN should do well if Ten has better resources to improve itself.

1 Like

so all 3 channels with the same watermarks?

I can’t. Seven and Prime’s sales divisions were literally bragging about stability and guaranteed audiences during the affiliation swap of WIN and SC.

WIN and SC9 get a lot of attention on this forum (former for the wrong reasons, latter because of local news launches), but let’s be honest. Prime7 and Seven Queensland are the quiet performers in the regional markets and metropolitan Seven would be crazy to dump Prime.

Seven going with WIN would also make a massive mess in Queensland, where WIN would have to sell half a dozen stations to competitors. Not sure it’ll fly.

4 Likes

I’m sure some poor regional viewer will provide caps to illustrate WIN’s multichannel watermarking practices. In between the 'Nam-style PTSD flashbacks about mappy.

2 Likes

If WIN went with Prime it would have to stay with Ten in QLD because Seven own their regional network much like SCA had to do in NNSW as Nine own NBN.

2 Likes

I’m sure WIN would love to be affiliated with the country’s #1 TV network. But I don’t think Seven would really want to have a weaker national brand (as Nine had pre-2016, as Ten has now) because their main regional affiliate would prefer to be known by a name that dates back to when they were a one town TV channel.

It’s also hard to see how Seven would be unhappy with the current ratings performance of their regional affiliates. Even though Nine are fairly close to them in the three major metropolitan markets on the East Coast, Seven/Prime7 are rating well ahead of the competition in most regional markets.

By the time WIN adopted their current style of logo wording in 2006, they were using the “Nine dots” logo for 15 years+. The logo used by WIN-4 in the years immediately before aggregation looked very different to that one as well.

I personally think it’s more likely that WIN adopted the round wording to match the style of Nine’s logo (the “9” was and still is rounded!) rather than a WIN-4 logo they hadn’t used in decades.

3 Likes

12 Likes

And what the hell would Bruce try to rebrand 7Two, 7mate & 7flix as? Just imagine the confusion that’d cause.
WIN have enough trouble with Ten (main channel) & other than huge shitstains on One & 11 they’re dirty feeds with Ten on-screen promos slipping under the shitstains, and sometimes even Ten promos in the commercial breaks.

Why would Seven want their brand diminished to such an extent, and to piss off viewers with such nonsense?

7West may be a misogynistic old boys’ club but they’d also have to be complete idiots to get in bed with an old fool who pisses off one affiliate partner after another.

Bruce/WIN should’ve been happy with Ten; their secondary channels don’t have the Ten network branding, Ten barely do any streaming, etc., but he and Murdoch tried something on and lost.
CBS took the opportunity Gordon & Murdoch presented, and now Gordon/WIN will have to live with what results.
Bruce should make the best of it instead of being an egotistical sore loser.

8 Likes

I think we all know the answer to that. WINTWO, WINmate and (perhaps the most ridiculous of them all), WINFlix! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

He has named One WINOne… he wishes he did lol…

As we saw, it looks like CBS won, after his and Murdoch’s little game to try and buy Ten cheaply failed

Yeah I’ve been looking in the watermark threads but no luck. Just wondering how they renamed “One” etc.

It’s okay, I’m going to Dubbo next week so will check it out myself :slight_smile:

I just searched for “shitstain 11” and going back a few posts found this:

3 Likes