Nine (Southern Cross)

Would you rather have this situation with poor ad timings or WIN’s coverups?

Umm, how about neither?

12 Likes

Sadly without relaxation of the reach rule or some unexplained wave of enlightenment sweeping through the corridors of SCA, we’re left to debate the merits (or otherwise) of the past vs. the present.

I’d rather Imparja and WIN’s coverups :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope you’re not serious? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The timing errors are annoying but the coverups come out on top still.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. The timing errors are definitely annoying (to be fair, all regional networks suffer from this at times) but WIN’s infamous coverups are/were worse IMO.

4 Likes

sigh
Despite it looking like they were getting better, the timing in tonight’s QLD time is completely buggered again.

The ad breaks in the news keep starting early while the “through to break” audio is still playing. With SCA running Nine promos themselves (instead of using the dirty feed like they normally do).

Then at the end of the last break, we had a 9Go! promo (from SCA) end normally, cut to the end of another ad before a 60 Minutes promo aired (from the metro feed) which was cut off early to the SCA in-house produced David Attenborough promo which ended and cut to the last second of a sponsor board before the news returned.

So much chopping and changing in such a short period of time.

Weird to see SCA running Nine promos themselves, rather than just using the ones from the dirty feed, haven’t seen them doing that often.

Well I’ve only watched WIN once when I was very young and never watched Imparja on a real FTA TV.

I don’t think that the coverups are that intrusive, but when it’s moving like when the watermark changes it becomes a bit annoying.

Aside from that, I wonder if SCA has aired those ‘Countdown Balls’ yet :smile:

Yes. I saw them in Albury last night. Most likely from the metro feed.

1 Like

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:1728, topic:1198, full:true”]
sigh
Despite it looking like they were getting better, the timing in tonight’s QLD time is completely buggered again.

The ad breaks in the news keep starting early while the “through to break” audio is still playing. With SCA running Nine promos themselves (instead of using the dirty feed like they normally do).

Then at the end of the last break, we had a 9Go! promo (from SCA) end normally, cut to the end of another ad before a 60 Minutes promo aired (from the metro feed) which was cut off early to the SCA in-house produced David Attenborough promo which ended and cut to the last second of a sponsor board before the news returned.

So much chopping and changing in such a short period of time.

Weird to see SCA running Nine promos themselves, rather than just using the ones from the dirty feed, haven’t seen them doing that often.
[/quote]Haven’t noticed any issues here tonight. The timings have been really good for the past couple of weeks now actually.

[quote=“melbournefan, post:1729, topic:1198, full:true”]I don’t think that the coverups are that intrusive, but when it’s moving like when the watermark changes it becomes a bit annoying.[/quote]That’s interesting. First time I’ve ever read/heard that one before! :stuck_out_tongue:

I suggest you have a look through this thread from the past decade or so of coverups and see if they’re intrusive or not. :yum::wink:

4 Likes

Whoops… someone forgot to tell SCA that the Cricket isn’t on at the moment (even though it is scheduled).

They’ve got the HD at the top of the screen in the WWOS location, and are airing Sponsor Boards saying “Nine’s coverage of the Cricket is brought to you by…” during Ellen.

Ad timings are also completely out of whack. Returning from ads WAY into the show.

1 Like

An interesting observation I’ve made about SC9.

It seems as though either they receive SD copies of Nine promos, or they run their own ad feed in SD, as they’ve been airing quite a few Nine promos during their section of the ad break before then returning to the metro feed, and there is a remarkable difference in the quality of the promos between the two.

Often SCA will run a Nine promo at the end of the ad block, then return to the dirty feed for another Nine promo from that feed, and the difference between the two is very noticeable.

For example (all capped from 9HD):
SCA feed version:

Metro (dirty) feed version:

SCA feed version:

Metro (dirty) feed version:

4 Likes

I get the feeling that 9SC don’t have HD playout facilities.

1 Like

I’m sure they do?

Up here in Northern NSW, they only fairly recently rolled out TEN HD on LCN 52, with local ads etc.

But what elements apart from what the metro broadcasters send through are HD?

Not many…

Perhaps the occasional ad.

The Local News updates aren’t HD of course.

“Local” “news” “updates” *

5 Likes

I’m still in Mackay on Christmas holidays for a few more days and just saw an SCA produced Nine ident rolled into an advert for a local business, it was quite well done for SCA standards.

1 Like

Job vacancy

7 Likes

I noticed that Sydney’s Peter Overton is in that ad, not whoever will be reading the Canberra news.