Nine (Southern Cross)

SCA 9HD in Spencer Gulf SA has no HD bug at all.

3 Likes

Stronger together

1 Like

Surely they can set up specific superimposed attachments (ProTrack terminology) or whatever would be in their equivalent system that could automatically put the bugs in the right locations for specific series. Doing it manually is tedious. I know from experience.

1 Like

Another HD billboard

3 Likes

Many on Media Spy have long argued there is no point in even having HD bugs now. The LCN station name should be enough. I tend to agree and a move to 2, 3, 5, 6 and 8 all having the main HD channel would further aid this.

4 Likes

Yes I agree, no HD bugs at all is win for everyone, easier to do and looks better on air

3 Likes

Absolutely; instead stick with the occasional “available in HD on channel …” on-screen reminder on the SD channel.

2 Likes

So In 2019, SCA TV division had $210m in revenue.

Let’s exclude 20% of that for Tasmania, SA and NT and say 80% or $168m came from the Nine affiliates in QLD ACT NSW and VIC.

SCA pays Nine 50%. Which is their fee for all programming, marketing, PR and Promo across 4 channels.

So that’s $84m

The 3 SCA bulletins are rumored to cost about $2 million each. So that’s $6m a year. Meaning the split is about

$6m spent on local news programming
$78m spent on other programming, promo and marketing costs

SCA keeps about $84 million themselves.

SCA is in effect spending less than 4% of revenue on producing local news for the communities they serve.

3 Likes

SCA is up the creek. There’s no way they’re profiting off of their TV assets.

@AustralianAerial if they spend 50% of their revenue on programming, what are they spending the other $105 million on?

SCA reported a net loss after tax of $91.4 million in FY2018/19. It reported a net debt of $292.6 million. The impairment charges of the TV assets ($226.9 million) was higher than the revenue generated ($206.6 million)—so the theoretical value of their TV licences is higher than what they are currently worth.

I defer to any accountants here, but by my logic they’re running at a significant loss, at least with respect to television.

1 Like

Whats an impairment charge?

And If revenue was 206m and they lost 91m where on Estey did the $297 m go?

See below:

Am I the only one who wishes they’d just switch off SD channels once they have a HD version of the same? STB aren’t very expensive anymore, plus it would stop annoying people at work using SD channels (I usually try to delete the SD channel so they can’t use it) But I was fooled a few weeks ago, sat watching the news for about 5 minutes before wondering why the quality was so bad and realising someone had it on the SD channel :rofl:

5 Likes

This has been discussed widely in the HD Broadcasting thread.

There is mixed opinion on ceasing MPEG-2 SD on the main channel. If anything they should keep the MPEG-2 SD simulcast for the main channel at least but convert all multi-channels to MPEG-4 HD with no simulcasts.

3 Likes

Since the playout switch, 9Life in SCA areas has been airing the original 9Life ident (with bad audio cuts at the start and end) as opposed to the “life is beautiful” one. I tried capturing it although it’s not the best quality:

4 Likes

nah they started airing that just before the NPC switch, I guess they got sick of using the 9.com.au ID

2 Likes

9HD Spencer Gulf are now broadcasting the HD bug, since Friday last week.

2 Likes

Business Directory:

2 Likes

Fat Nine!

1 Like