Nine (Southern Cross)

Some small but noticeable changes to the watermarks on the multi’s…
Go:

Gem:

Life (screen resolution changed):

News Updates in HD:

HD Commercials:

HD billboard:

CSAs:

7 Likes

Some HD caps:

It appears the HD bug is exactly the same one that Nine metro uses (thanks @SydneyCityTV for providing this metro cap):

NBN, which also comes from NPC uses a different HD bug, slightly smaller, and the same opacity that the metro one originally was when it started:

8 Likes

Crawl for Spencer Gulf. Nine is in HD there now

9 Likes

Great caps @Abesty. You’ve been following this transition closely! End of an era in Canberra.

11 Likes

Any sign of 9Rush now that they’ve moved to NPC?

4 Likes

No sign of it on TDT9 in Tas :frowning: Have been doing scans just in case. SBN still located on the 7 Tas mux of channels.

2 Likes

9HD yesterday and today:

9SD yesterday and today:

5 Likes

Billboard

1 Like

No plans for SCA to take 9Rush at the moment, I don’t think NBN is either (unless I’m wrong)

1 Like

Yeah I must say it looks really good coming from NPC although I’m sad about jobs lost in Canberra. I think SCA playout is still operational for another week or two (as a backup facility)

2 Likes

@TonyCTC SCA is struggling to sell ads on the flagship channel 9 so Rush would be the least of their interest

2 Likes

9Rush isn’t on NBN.

Having worked in Media, the problem that SCA (and any other regional Media Owner) has is that they’re relying on Sales Teams in Sydney/Melbourne predominantly (those 2 markets are where 70-80% of large national advertisers are) to sell their airtime. Most of these sales people have never lived in or been to the regional areas they’re selling airtime for and so can’t really be an ‘expert’ on why advertisers should be buying spots in those markets.

At the same time the majority of media buyers are also all from capital cities or overseas and have no knowledge of the regional markets. This has become a problem now because nobody is buying regional and they’re struggling to keep up.

Initiatives like Boomtown have tried to educate Media Buyers on the regional markets and why they should be allocating more advertising dollars there, but it’s only provided a slight boost that will all but disappear this year. I don’t know how these companies can turn things around now without drastic changes to how they sell/go to market.

8 Likes

Don’t all the broadcasters have local sales offices?

Most airtime is filled more with local clients no, not national. Hence “boomtowns” need

Yeah they do have local sales offices which deal with local clients and they do well as they understand the market they’re selling as they live there too.

All the big national clients with the $million budgets deal with the Sales Teams in the capital city offices who have little knowledge of the markets they’re selling airtime in, that’s my point. The regionals aren’t getting the big advertising dollars from national clients and that’s hurting them. Local advertisers would only be spending a few thousand dollars where as a client like Colgate for instance spends about $200k on regional tv for one campaign.

3 Likes

I had noticed this a few days ago and hadn’t thought about the reasoning. Good job Abesty.

I’m not too up-to-date with everything to do with NPC. If SCA is now being played on from NPC, does that mean that the same staff who are running Nine Metros feeds are now also runnin the Nine SCA feeds?

If so, surely everything should run much more smoothly on Nine SCA now.

1 Like

That is correct.

2 Likes

Do SCA still add the HD bug themselves since the playout moved to NPC?

Post-move to NPC, the “HD” watermark addition (and picture quality) seems to look pretty much identical to that of the Nine metro stations so I wouldn’t be overly surprised if the SCA Nine stations are now using the exact same feeds of Nine HD the metro markets get just with the insertion of local ads and newsbreaks, etc.

2 Likes

No, everything to do with the physical playout of the channels is now handled by NPC. SCA only do the scheduling of the channels (choosing the order of commercials etc) - by the traffic department.

@NQCQTV2 not completely smooth as they still have errors with the wrong HD bugs being used. But the origin of this error is always with traffic, who schedule the graphics:

And 9Rush promo:

5 Likes