Nine News Local

Yes Rocky is still included but they only lost 1 journo who had finished to move to 9 Brisbane. The other 2 journos are still based here.

Dana Sherwood is now in Cairns, not sure if she was apart of the 2 journos you mentioned?

That is one thing the QLD version is lacking in, amongst other things.

Watched the NSW and VIC versions on here earlier today and they were both much better than QLD IMO.

Both were at a normal pace and didn’t feel completely rushed, also live crosses, a big plus, and also really liked on the VIC bulletin that the location for each story appeared as a super, acknowledging that many regions can see the story.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Bless him if his paycheck isn’t that much bigger.

There were live crosses to the regions before the pandemic hiatus.

5 Likes

permanent

3 Likes

Never heard of her tbh, but then I never usually watch the 9 News bulletins. Rachel Baxter finished to go to QTQ while Olivia Donaldson and Chloe Robinson both remain in Rocky as the 2 journos based here.

3 Likes

Screenshot_20200814-190323~2

7 Likes

They cover news that is of national importance Federal politics for example.

“National” in this instance refers to the news type, not the broadcast area. Just like the Courier Mail and 4BC cover national news.

2 Likes

I agree, “national” is a term that is less likely to confuse viewers since its been referred to in that way for years eg. as “National Nine News”.

1 Like

i can confirm from a 3rd hand source that PRIME7 are watching what the 9 News Local is doing as they are looking at ways to save fave being the incumbent news in most markets but also needing to save money on the production of the local news, watch for changes with PRIME early in 2021 is my tip.

5 Likes

On the “national news” label; I’ve only ever heard that in regional viewing areas, I think it originated from the affiliates spinning the metro bulletins as national bulletins (as opposed to their local news bulletin), rather than what they are, the metro city’s composite bulletins.
When Nine’s bulletin was titled “National Nine News” that certainly helped WIN at the time, but it was always misleading as it had local news stories from that metro city.

2 Likes

Twice when thowing to a break tonight, Jo called it “Nine Local… Nine News Local”.

She finally got it right when signing off, with a tiny but noticable pause :grin:

6 Likes

In fairness, “Nine News Local” barely makes grammatical sense. “Nine Local News” comes easier off the tongue and sounds much better.

7 Likes

Understandable, atleast we’d have some local news not just rip and reads, it’s so unfair that we’ve been put in this position though.

There’s no reason why they couldn’t do that if they wanted to. Gold Coast is “Nine News Gold Coast” in the logo but in dialogue it’s always “Nine Gold Coast News”.

4 Likes

As posted on the Darwin thread.

4 Likes

Really? Both 7 and 9 both carried a ‘National News’ label for decades. You are right, they are composite bulletins for metro cities, but they cover national stories.

For regional stations producing local news it’s a natural distinction. Particularly as no commercial station produces an early evening ‘for national audience’ bulletin. Though Ten may be headed that way now.

3 Likes

Haven’t watched since the first night but decided to tune in tonight to see if anything had improved… and it was worse! Far worse than the previous local windows option.

Still feels far too rushed, still no opening headlines.
Stories are still hyperlocal - one V/O was read as “Parts of the Wide Bay are set to swelter tomorrow” - despite Gavin then saying on the forecast later that the whole state was expecting a hot day… why only mention the Wide Bay for something happening across each region watching?!?

But the worst thing was, the first “local” story to me in “Nine News Local” was at 5:51pm in Sport. A story about the Cowboys… only local because they play in Townsville though, not necessarily a true local story.

Then nothing else local mentioned until a quick 20 second V/O at 5:57pm.

So we previously got ~10 minutes of local news/sport/weather on the old format, and now we’ve had 1 minute 20 seconds tonight.

How they think they’ll actually entice anyone to want to watch this garbage is beyond me.

3 Likes

In Nine’s case it also matched the branding of the National Nine Network.

2 Likes