Nine News Darwin

Is that the early 2000s theme??? And the theme even ends before the update does!

Yes they still use it on the radio in Darwin, don’t mind it actually.

2 Likes

Neither - but nevertheless very weird to use something that hasn’t been heard on-air for almost 2 decades :confused:

4 Likes

And if that’s the case then I would say it’s fair to assume the noodle updates are staying.

3 Likes

Some comments on the 9 News Darwin Instagram page on 17 July.

5 Likes

NINE NEWS DARWIN TO HOST ELECTION NIGHT

From 6:00pm, Paul Taylor, Jonathan Uptin and Charles Croucher will host NT Decides.

It will start with a dedicated local bulletin then ongoing coverage from 7:00.

7 Likes

Watch this space!

4 Likes

It will be interesting to see how this will affect QTQ considering Jonathan Uptin is the weekend presenter.

Darwin will probably get shoved onto the regional set for the 6:00pm bulletin if it’s not done locally (since 6:00pm in NT is 6:30 in Queensland)

Great to have Jonathan and Charles together again.

2 Likes

Fantastic. Good to see some local NT coverage!
And a local bulletin!!

Could this in fact hint that Paul Taylor may present a weekday local bulletin soon? (Also given that he is seemingly absent from the new Nine News Local bulletin)

7 Likes

Nine will be heavily monitoring the performance of this coverage for future expansion of local news coverage in NT.

But it’s the start of something for Darwin.

Coverage will also be shown on Imparja as-well.

12 Likes

Maybe - or what I’d like to see - Jono on Darwin and Georgina Lewis on weekends for 9 Queensland - although there’s a 0.00000000001% chance of that happening! :rofl:

3 Likes

Eh, I think his time in NT has well and truly pasted.

The purpose of having him on the coverage is because he has hosted all the previous election nights with Charles before - plus it’s an incentive to tune in as they were much more popular over ABC at the time.

It’s going to be super competitive considering viewers have gotten comfortable with ABC for years now. Both networks commence coverage at the same time as-well. If I were Nine I would’ve started news at 5:30 ish then head to election coverage at 6:00 when polls close.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t think so personally. I mean, I’m no NT local, but I would think he is still a familiar face given he did anchor their news for more than a decade.

Anything can happen I suppose. She would be a FANTASTIC get for the network nonetheless.

3 Likes

I agree - and same.

Darwin would love to have him back but he has had many opportunities like anchoring Today on both weekdays and weekends over the Christmas period as-well-as Nine News Queensland as Weekend Presenter and fill-in on weekdays. He wouldn’t of been able to do that without leaving Darwin.

He probably won’t be interested to downgrade markets unless he was offered more money…

He would be so much better than Dickie on Weekend Today to be honest.

2 Likes

Is NT the first region to get an election broadcast since the 9 News rebrand?

4 Likes

Yes, I believe so.

4 Likes

He can still do 6pm for Brisbane and host the election coverage can’t he, if I have gotten the time zones right? The Darwin news will definitely come from the regional set.

Also, isn’t Charles based at TCN? Assume he’s flying up.

Sure, but he won’t get promoted to Today or anything at HQ. With the right anchor, Brisbane has an opportunity to nab weekends from 7 now with Kay off. They win during the week, why isn’t it working on weekends? If he’s popular in Darwin, I don’t see why he wouldn’t return (unless he’s wanting Wally’s job).

2 Likes

There is 4 possible scenarios that could happen -

1. Present both news and election from the old Darwin studio (still operational) and fly Jono, Paul and Charles (if he gets a travel exemption from Sydney…)

2. Present it from QTQ with Charles flying to Queensland (travel exemption)

3. Jono flys to Sydney and presents coverage from their news or previous today set (gives them access to more resources like political reporters etc) Paul presents news from QTQ

4. Election broadcast in QTQ and Paul on-location in Darwin presenting the news.

Nine would need an additional reporter in Darwin if they choose to go NT wide as there is 3 parties running as-well-as independents which means more locations so they don’t look bias

3 Likes

The majority of production is at QTQ, so present it there and just fly Charles up. You’d assume there’d be some reporters rostered on from Darwin. What will be interesting is how they are going to incorporate the political experts via satellite into the format.

1 Like