Nine News Local

No, but it’s not to say they COULDN’T.

Oh dear Jo’s eyelash came unstuck at the end

Overall a good bulletin though

Is that seriously the weather forecast? That’s it?

1 Like

Given the rate at which staff are moving around the networks these days, I’m sure they could rustle up a bod to produce NBN Central West out of Newcastle.

Again, this would be an option to redress people ‘switching off’ due to the 5.30 debacle. It could easily impact their 6pm ratings too.

For my money, NBN for the Central West offers a compelling choice against Prime7 pure local at 6pm.

What is the central west

Orange dubbing wagga? Those cities?

Orange / Dubbo.

Wagga Wagga is SW Slopes and Riverina.
Generally considered to be a separate sub market.

But orange dubbo is CTC right? It’s a nine branded station.

And suddenly they have NBN News on a station that has never had or carried the nbn brand?

Seems confusing to viewers - they’ve had Peter Overton at 6 now for 6 months now change it again?

1 Like

I wonder if WIN is watching these bulletins with interest. Surely it’s cheaper producing 1 bulletin for an entire state than separate local bulletins. Especially if Ten News will give them an even weaker lead in.

The viewer will be poorer but it’ll surely save some cash.

2 Likes

No it doesn’t have to.

Yeah… hardly an 8 hour day though.

3 Likes

While I obviously couldn’t say with 100% certainty, you’d have to imagine that WIN are at the very least considering an eventual move to statewide regional bulletins. Personally I think a combined Canberra/Illawarra bulletin could be OK, but one service for all the sub-regions in Queensland and Victoria respectively would be pretty ordinary IMO.

This viewer could also imagine Prime7 going down a similar path by having combined “South” (Central West/Riverina/Border) and “North” (North West/Coast) bulletins.

4 Likes

for sure WIN is watching this experiment

SNSW and ACT today.

6 Likes

Not sure Nine cares about confusing viewers right now.

NBN is only the brand of the news these days. I’m sure they could throw a quick ‘Welcome to NBN News’ promo.

When SC bought Capital, it changed to Channel 10 overnight, with not a single word spoken.

1 Like

You still need a place for ACT politics to attract a reasonable audience in Canberra. Nine Local is very light touch on this (understandably).

The sales team at WIN sells on local news pretty hard - I can imagine the SC team are struggling to sell this new news to anyone.

Either Nine will be successful (and by that I mean they don’t turn viewers off) and WIN follows suit - or WIN will be smug when Nine’s ratings go down the pan.

I would say WIN is more likely to continue to rollout noodle updates for more and more markets than anything else. Regional news has NEVER survived for Ten affiliates, now not even Adelaide, Brisbane or Perth.

3 Likes

It won’t happen; Nine tried the opt-out composite bulletin and have given up on that for the SC9 areas.

But if this somehow did happen, then surely Nine would finally rebrand NBN News to 9News.

1 Like

Yeah, I think it’s clear it won’t happen. It was just what I would do.

Not sure why SC9 viewers are any different to NBN viewers though.

Nine cut the composite bulletin for cost savings, not because SC9 viewers couldn’t cope.

Queensland promo

6 Likes

I know what they’re trying to do (distinguish between the two) but calling the Brisbane news “national” is a bit of a stretch, and lie. Why not call it state?

2 Likes

Two LIVE crosses in tonight’s NSW/ACT local news. One to Harry Frost in Canberra and another to James Wilson at WIN Entertainment Centre, Wollongong. One good thing about this format, as opposed to the local windows in the previous bulletin, is that LIVE crosses can now be done.

3 Likes

Is Rockhampton still apart of the bulletin?

It appears some reporters from Central QLD have been relocated to other areas like Cairns etc.