Nine News Local

Looking forward to heading down to QLD and actually seeing how bad these are.

I did have a peek at FNQ and NQ pages. The packages they were posted don’t even need to be packs. They aren’t prioritizing the right news.

I’m sure there is more happening than paralysis tick season starting or a new cinema opening. They should considering travelling into other parts of their regions sometimes :upside_down_face:

Correct.
Under the previous setup, everything major that happened locally was covered under the local window.

Now, if/when Townsville gets a mention, it’s something that’s hardly major or newsworthy.

Of the two times i’ve watched, the only Townsville news has been a story about a new neonatal clinic opening and a V/O piece tonight about a local guy who walked up Castle Hill 6 times. Both interesting to some people of course, but hardly the most important things happening in the city.

Under the previous set up, everything major that aired on 7 News was also covered on 9 News and both had a similar number of local stories reported (as 7 also airs a lot of multi-region filler in their bulletins to pad them out).

I really don’t see the point or the target audience of these new “local” bulletins. It’s great that it’s keeping journalists in a job but it’s just not worth watching even to me, a media enthusiast, let alone the average local resident who wants to know what’s going on here, not to hear hyperlocal after hyperlocal story about the Sunshine Coast and Wide Bay.

5 Likes

Impressed that Nine were able to air a story about a car accident in Bathurst today. I was in the building next door, only happened a few hours ago too.

:clap:

11 Likes

I filmed that story - it was able to make it into tonight’s news thanks to the bulletins now being live and the ability to cover fresh breaking news!

21 Likes

Well done :+1:

This is one advantage over Prime that 9 really needs to take advantage of. Today it showed!

4 Likes

I guess the question is, do people in Eden think a car crash in Bathurst is news? If it’s so important to half of NSW why wouldn’t it be in the Sydney news at 6?

2 Likes

obviously people on here don’t want this this news service , alot of criticisms and not many being supportive. Yes its not perfect but its something. If you want good people to lose their jobs (what left) keep up the whinging. then when Sth Cross and Nine decide that no wants it and scraps this version then dont whinge. Accept that they will not go back to any other format, this either works now or you will lose the news. Or just get your news off Facebook.

4 Likes

Not sure if people airing their opinions on this forum is going to have any effect on SCA or Nine’s thinking, or the ratings (unless someone on here is being surveyed by RegionalTAM).

4 Likes

People will lose their jobs if Nine keep the current format, because it absolutely does not give viewers a coherent local news service.

Where WIN/Seven/Prime offer a localised bulletin, how many are going to pick Nine’s offering when you have to sit through a bunch of irrelevant stories about regions hundreds and even thousands of kilometres away?

Nine have made a local news format that seems almost uniquely designed to not satisfy viewers, keeping it will inevitably cost jobs because it doesn’t meet the needs of the target audience.

It’s wanting there to be ongoing local news jobs at Nine that people want changes to the format to something more local and more competitive with the offerings on other channels.

I don’t think anyone on this forum expects that their opinion will sway Nine, but that works in both directions - they won’t axe it for negativity on here, they wouldn’t keep it just because we were all falsely gushing praise for it.

5 Likes

I’ve actually been curious on if anyone here is apart of OzTAM’s surveys…

It’s still local news, not ideal but your local news is in there, you just have to share it now, better than nothing.

1 Like

Not the case. We used to get a dedicated 7 minute window for our local region (plus local sport and weather). It’s now 90 secs with no local sport or detailed local weather. It’s less.

Criticisms can enhance the product.

1 Like

There are legal requirements that they have some form of local news, they are delivering on that in pretty much the worst possible way.

I’ve said earlier that the locally presented updates during the 6pm bulletin were better than the current bulletin at giving viewers local news - having a similar level of local content but all at once - it just needed a consistent timeslot.

Having half an hour, with the majority irrelevant to you, and then statewide weather barely mentioning your market is a huge backwards step on what they had prior.

2 Likes

I like the new format better than the all over place 1 hour version but I think this format was always going to suit Victoria better than NSW and QLD. I don’t mind if their is a Bendigo story followed up by Ballarat or Albury Bendigo is 2 hours away from me Ballarat is 3 hours. Albury stories are mainly about the border closures which is more interest to me than most. Only Gippsland is irrelevant to me geographically. I See it as only slightly less local than Win News but it’s more polish. Yes their is things they could do better and I wish they would dump sport and improve the weather segment but I don’t see it as a bad product

3 Likes

Watch this space, I think other regional networks will go down the same path as SCA9.

constructive yes, i agree. But think of how hard it would be to make news relevant for each market and still trying to remain local… i applaud 9 for still having some sort of voice in regional areas

1 Like

in my opinion, they should have had 3 recorded local opening segments of 5 mins then a live 2nd and 3rd break. not covering local sport is a big miss, but obviously they had to cut costs and so a journo in each market had to go, having said that journo doing 2 stories a day (1 news 1 sport ) wouldnt be a massive ask.

What news is local to shepparton seeing the only jurno made reduntant and it is 170km to the melbourne news desk and the same to Albury.

Technically here in Shepparton nearest Nine News office now is Bendigo at 120kms away yet shepparton get stuff 170kms from Albury.

Yes, Nine news is really local. Nine and SCA do not care about regional viewers. it comes down to the dollar.

The Sydney TV1 licence area stretches from around Catherine Hill Bay on the Central Coast to just south of Bargo on the Hume Motorway - approx 203 km, and from Bondi Beach to west of Mt Victoria - approx 130 km. There is little to no local news from most of the suburbs and towns within the area on Nine, Seven and Ten news. Do people complain?

Just interested in the difference as to why residents of metro areas and those near by those metro areas have always not received local news on television so they wouldn’t ever expect to see anything more than the ocassional story, yet country residents seem to expect more detailed reporting of local news on television.

Position was made redundant, Lexi is now in quarantine before starting on the Gold Coast.