Nine News Local

On the “national news” label; I’ve only ever heard that in regional viewing areas, I think it originated from the affiliates spinning the metro bulletins as national bulletins (as opposed to their local news bulletin), rather than what they are, the metro city’s composite bulletins.
When Nine’s bulletin was titled “National Nine News” that certainly helped WIN at the time, but it was always misleading as it had local news stories from that metro city.

2 Likes

Twice when thowing to a break tonight, Jo called it “Nine Local… Nine News Local”.

She finally got it right when signing off, with a tiny but noticable pause :grin:

6 Likes

In fairness, “Nine News Local” barely makes grammatical sense. “Nine Local News” comes easier off the tongue and sounds much better.

7 Likes

Understandable, atleast we’d have some local news not just rip and reads, it’s so unfair that we’ve been put in this position though.

There’s no reason why they couldn’t do that if they wanted to. Gold Coast is “Nine News Gold Coast” in the logo but in dialogue it’s always “Nine Gold Coast News”.

4 Likes

As posted on the Darwin thread.

4 Likes

Really? Both 7 and 9 both carried a ‘National News’ label for decades. You are right, they are composite bulletins for metro cities, but they cover national stories.

For regional stations producing local news it’s a natural distinction. Particularly as no commercial station produces an early evening ‘for national audience’ bulletin. Though Ten may be headed that way now.

3 Likes

Haven’t watched since the first night but decided to tune in tonight to see if anything had improved… and it was worse! Far worse than the previous local windows option.

Still feels far too rushed, still no opening headlines.
Stories are still hyperlocal - one V/O was read as “Parts of the Wide Bay are set to swelter tomorrow” - despite Gavin then saying on the forecast later that the whole state was expecting a hot day… why only mention the Wide Bay for something happening across each region watching?!?

But the worst thing was, the first “local” story to me in “Nine News Local” was at 5:51pm in Sport. A story about the Cowboys… only local because they play in Townsville though, not necessarily a true local story.

Then nothing else local mentioned until a quick 20 second V/O at 5:57pm.

So we previously got ~10 minutes of local news/sport/weather on the old format, and now we’ve had 1 minute 20 seconds tonight.

How they think they’ll actually entice anyone to want to watch this garbage is beyond me.

3 Likes

In Nine’s case it also matched the branding of the National Nine Network.

2 Likes

Looking forward to heading down to QLD and actually seeing how bad these are.

I did have a peek at FNQ and NQ pages. The packages they were posted don’t even need to be packs. They aren’t prioritizing the right news.

I’m sure there is more happening than paralysis tick season starting or a new cinema opening. They should considering travelling into other parts of their regions sometimes :upside_down_face:

Correct.
Under the previous setup, everything major that happened locally was covered under the local window.

Now, if/when Townsville gets a mention, it’s something that’s hardly major or newsworthy.

Of the two times i’ve watched, the only Townsville news has been a story about a new neonatal clinic opening and a V/O piece tonight about a local guy who walked up Castle Hill 6 times. Both interesting to some people of course, but hardly the most important things happening in the city.

Under the previous set up, everything major that aired on 7 News was also covered on 9 News and both had a similar number of local stories reported (as 7 also airs a lot of multi-region filler in their bulletins to pad them out).

I really don’t see the point or the target audience of these new “local” bulletins. It’s great that it’s keeping journalists in a job but it’s just not worth watching even to me, a media enthusiast, let alone the average local resident who wants to know what’s going on here, not to hear hyperlocal after hyperlocal story about the Sunshine Coast and Wide Bay.

5 Likes

Impressed that Nine were able to air a story about a car accident in Bathurst today. I was in the building next door, only happened a few hours ago too.

:clap:

11 Likes

I filmed that story - it was able to make it into tonight’s news thanks to the bulletins now being live and the ability to cover fresh breaking news!

21 Likes

Well done :+1:

This is one advantage over Prime that 9 really needs to take advantage of. Today it showed!

4 Likes

I guess the question is, do people in Eden think a car crash in Bathurst is news? If it’s so important to half of NSW why wouldn’t it be in the Sydney news at 6?

2 Likes

obviously people on here don’t want this this news service , alot of criticisms and not many being supportive. Yes its not perfect but its something. If you want good people to lose their jobs (what left) keep up the whinging. then when Sth Cross and Nine decide that no wants it and scraps this version then dont whinge. Accept that they will not go back to any other format, this either works now or you will lose the news. Or just get your news off Facebook.

4 Likes

Not sure if people airing their opinions on this forum is going to have any effect on SCA or Nine’s thinking, or the ratings (unless someone on here is being surveyed by RegionalTAM).

4 Likes

People will lose their jobs if Nine keep the current format, because it absolutely does not give viewers a coherent local news service.

Where WIN/Seven/Prime offer a localised bulletin, how many are going to pick Nine’s offering when you have to sit through a bunch of irrelevant stories about regions hundreds and even thousands of kilometres away?

Nine have made a local news format that seems almost uniquely designed to not satisfy viewers, keeping it will inevitably cost jobs because it doesn’t meet the needs of the target audience.

It’s wanting there to be ongoing local news jobs at Nine that people want changes to the format to something more local and more competitive with the offerings on other channels.

I don’t think anyone on this forum expects that their opinion will sway Nine, but that works in both directions - they won’t axe it for negativity on here, they wouldn’t keep it just because we were all falsely gushing praise for it.

5 Likes

I’ve actually been curious on if anyone here is apart of OzTAM’s surveys…

It’s still local news, not ideal but your local news is in there, you just have to share it now, better than nothing.

1 Like