Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

So I assume your also talking about the Sydney and Melbourne sets too then? :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess so if they’re the same. I’m in Brisbane.

As much as I think that the current Nine News Sydney set is starting to date and that I’d love to see a new set in the not too distant future, the fact that it’s been in use over seven years with only minor tweaks over that time (in comparison to the Sydney news sets of Seven and Ten, which have had at least three major set changes and numerous tweaks during the same period) has to count for something, surely? :wink:

Personally, I’m definitely expecting Nine News to have an evolution rather than a revolution of it’s current branding when they change things next. Knowing the most recent attempt(s) at completely relaunching (2006-08 era, one I’m sure that Nine would like to forget ever happened!) the branding of Nine’s news service and indeed the whole network turned out, a evolution of the current branding would really be all for the best…

3 Likes

In my opinion it made the space look worse as when they did a wide shot you could see the top of the set and the lights on behind the curtains.

I think they should have just gone with the regular studio but with election branding.

1 Like

She’s the weekend newsreader and main fill in presenter when Jonno is away.

1 Like

Because of NRL commitments Nine News will be at 4.30 pm in Sydney and Brisbane on Saturday 10 September.

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/nine-network-programs-and-schedules/43/400?u=tv.cynic

3 Likes

Another week of Perth’s " Live At Five " bulletin off air.

2 Likes

Possibly because Nine Perth are currently preparing for the big move to their new studios in a few weeks time! :wink:

4 Likes

Sorry about the double post, but this one’s worth responding to…

I believe that National Nine News started to use that “stripy globe” motif sometime in the mid-1980s. Possibly in 1985 (in Sydney at least) but I haven’t seen enough footage from that era to confirm for sure. By the time it was taken out of circulation in 2006, it had been part of Nine’s news branding for about two decades (although gradually tweaked over time, mainly with changing colour schemes).

Then in 2006, we were introduced to the now infamous “flying billboard logo” which lasted until 2008 when Nine News dropped the “National” from it’s name. During the 2008-09 era we had the rotating rings, spinning earth globes were introduced back into the branding for the Late 2009 graphics change and the “dotted globe” we have now has been the centrepiece of Nine News’ branding since 2012.

3 Likes

Thanks for that info @SydneyCityTV, I guess it hasn’t always been there as you say but it appears to have crept back in over time.

1 Like

Would you say the “map” or “flat globe” element has always featured prominently in the backdrop behind the Nine’s news readers?

2 Likes

There once was a time when the blue globe map was the main element of Nine’s news sets, especially in Sydney. More recently though, the primary backdrop of Nine’s local 6pm bulletins has been a liveshot (or a static image, in some cases) of the city although the current sets do have a “dotted globe” background for the sports presenters.

On national bulletins since about 2006, we’ve mainly seen a few faux-newsroom backdrops while Nine News’ Sydney news exchange is the current backdrop (sometimes a pre-recorded loop of this has been used on plasmas from alternative sets) on national news bulletins that come out of Sydney. The “news exchange” set since 2010 has included map/globe panels (updated earlier this year), but probably not the primary/only feature.

And of course, there’s also Nine News: First At Five which basically uses some sort of “blank” (ie, without a Nine News logo) titlecard which includes the “dotted globe” motif.

2 Likes

First story in tonight’s GC news was done this way (not sure why!):

The second story was back to the usual “live cross” to a reporter standing on a balcony in the same building :grinning:

Mixing it up for a bit of variety?

6 Likes

I’m guessing they are pulling staff out the system to train on the new equipment.

1 Like

Not much they can do about the size of the Gold Coast set - but a few things could really improve it

• Video wall / large plasma backdrop of a live shot or at least pre - recorded shot - with some movement. The static looks so well, static
  • Polished black floors
  • A small rise for the desk
  • Turn down the brightness of the lighting on yellow/blue walls
  • Incorporate a bit of the 9 News red/blue branding colours into set

And you’d be good!

4 Likes

And fix up the ridiculous glass overhang on the desk!

2 Likes

speaking of which, anyone see the full studio that Tim McMillin was standing in front of during Nine News Now yesterday? Looked a lot darker and different to when Emmy Kubainski is doing it.

2 Likes

[quote=“MarkHD, post:722, topic:67”]
anyone see the full studio that Tim McMillin was standing in front of during Nine News Now yesterday?
[/quote] That is their ‘newsroom’ and is often used for Today Perth News live cross/interviews. The reason why McMillan was their instead of the live shot is because Lisa Fernandez was also on Nine News Now from Perth from the studio.

As sort of seen here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/4zzbjvqIFV/

1 Like

The iconic globe was re-introduced in late 2009.

In most capital cities, we had a billboard in the Sky promo between Jan 2006 and Oct 2008

1 Like

Unfortunately I probably won’t be able to get video of this particular hybrid Special Report/Generic Promo for Nine News Sydney up, but I wonder if these promo graphics are possibly a sign of things to come? And yes, they do look rather inspired by the recent “7 NEWS FIRST” graphics!

UPDATE: Video of the promo in question:

6 Likes