Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Nine Early News did not air this morning, so I presume this is why.

1 Like

What aired instead?

Thanks @SydneyCityTV
Good to see Hitch get some national treatment :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

They’re having a horrible time on Nine News Now, about 5 stories haven’t played or frozen half way through.

GMA. [quote=“Tyson, post:734, topic:67, full:true”]
They’re having a horrible time on Nine News Now, about 5 stories haven’t played or frozen half way through.
[/quote] I am surprised Today when through rather smoothly.

I know that the odd HD cross started to creep into the bulletin a while back, but there were no less than three (four if the one to Suncorp Stadium previewing Thursday Night Football counts) during Nine News Sydney tonight!

To give you an idea of the picture quality levels, there was a zoomed in shot of the screen next to Dimity Clancy during her live cross at the Transport Management Centre in Eveleigh. To my eyes at least anyway, the text/icons on the screen look very legible in HD while you probably wouldn’t be able to see that shot in so much detail if it were only SD:

While perhaps minor in the grand scheme of things, I think it’s fantastic to see more live crosses in native HD on Nine News Sydney. Having actual news content (compared to other networks who just do studio cameras/live graphics in HD, if even that) in native HD really adds something to the viewing experience IMO and I wish more networks did that.

9 Likes

Nine really are pioneering HD! Let’s hope they pioneer all channels in MPEG4 HD but I am certainly dreaming :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

HAHAHAHAHA GOOD JOKE.

This technology is a decade old. Nine is simply the Stephen Bradbury of HD in Australia.

8 Likes

Sorry, I should’ve mentioned that I meant they are pioneering HD out of all the networks at this point in time. All of them are slack af otherwise cuz as u said, its a decade old :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Knowing how Nine are actually running their multichannels in HD (albeit, viewers can only see this on 9Now streaming and in 720p), I wouldn’t put it past Nine to actually broadcast all network channels in MPEG4 HD eventually. But that’s for another topic.

LOL, I agree.

Still, I think it’s fair to say that Nine is doing HD the best out of all Australian FTA networks at the moment…

2 Likes

A few caps from tonights Perth opener.

9 Likes

To be fair, I believe this is the case at Seven too- definitely for the main channel and mate at least. Though they do seem to lack any real direction with HD and no longer provide anything remotely HD for streaming.

1 Like

Just realised two Media Exchange workers running past the set during the 5pm headline recap from last week.

6 Likes

What’s with the maroon/hot pink in these last few caps? Clashes badly with the red!!

1 Like

For some reason, that panel wasn’t updated/changed with some of the others earlier this year.

I know you’ll probably disagree with me, but Seven News’ current national news backdrop (especially with that round globe thing in the middle) looks far worse than Nine’s IMO!

1 Like

No, I don’t particularly like it. It’s “pretty” but just not quite right.

Some new report starter “First” transition graphics from Brisbane at the start of the videos with those tweets, I don’t think they’ve been seen before or are being used in other markets yet. Not entirely dissimilar in appearance to the promo graphics first spotted being used in Sydney last week, could that possibly be another sign of things to come?

Nine News Melbourne is giving away 250 family passes to this month’s Royal Melbourne Show according to a promo aired tonight. I am not sure if the competition happened before.

Nine News had a reporter inside the opening of the new Scientology centre at the old National Acoustics Lab at Chatswood, so they had actual footage of the event. Meanwhile, Seven News was stuck outside pointing their camera through the bushes. Nine really was First!

1 Like

If the Melbourne media has the same fascination (perhaps bordering on obsession) with the Royal Melbourne Show that the Sydney media has with the Royal Easter Show and the Brisbane media has with the Ekka, I’d bet that Nine News (and other local media outlets) has done viewer competitions giving away family passes to the Royal Melbourne Show before!

I’m not sure about other markets, but it’s certainly not uncommon for Nine News Sydney to do these sorts of viewer competitions. The ones they do every year include (but are not necessarily limited to) Royal Easter Show family pass giveaways, State Of Origin ticket giveaways and NRL Grand Final ticket giveaways…which they’re doing at the moment:

2 Likes