Nine News Content and Appearance

Noticed tonight that 9 Brisbane is using straight angles in its story backdrops like 7 does in its bulletins. Doesn’t match their curvy lines on the desk or their graphics generally.

1 Like

Nine Brisbane had a good win last week, somewhat notable for Melissa presenting solo against Sharyn and Max reading on Seven.

I noticed that this week’s promos show Melissa reading solo.

7 Likes

As much as I like Andrew, Melissa is the standout newsreader for me in Queensland, closely followed by Georgina Lewis and Wendy Kingston. Then probably Sharyn, Andrew and Kendall Gilding. I’d also add Joanne Desmond in there too.

I think Melissa just has an unmatched warmth and sincerity that no one else really has in Queensland, which is what I’d attribute her solo success to. She just connects with the viewer. All of those newsreaders have cracking journalism credentials and experience so it’s probably the one major thing that really separates Melissa from the rest.

Also, as a Queenslander, it’s such a shame that she isn’t seen nationally more often.

8 Likes

All of what you say about Melissa is how I feel about Sharyn.

1 Like

I would like to think that Melissa Downes is currently the longest-serving of the incumbent metro Brisbane news presenters, having been in her current role since January 2009 when she took over from Heather Foord and paired up with Bruce Paige for only six months before he was replaced by Andrew Lofthouse.

It’s worth noting she and Lofthouse started out when Nine were trailing Kay and Rod on Seven (similarly, Peter Overton was being beaten regularly by Ian Ross in his first year in Sydney) but as the years progressed they would start becoming more familiar with the audiences. There was also that major hiccup with the Choppergate scandal in 2011 but by 2013/14 QTQ would be back on top of the ratings.

2 Likes

Sharyn started at 7, albeit on weekends, in 2007.
IIRC, Melissa filled in as presenter occasionally on 7 prior to her move to 9.

3 Likes

[Off-topic] Then she moved to weeknights in January 2013 when Seven revamped its weeknight presenting team, which in my opinion backfired in the short term.

I might be wrong, but if I remember correctly, the viewers were put offside by the sudden change as it was only announced the day before she and Bill McDonald started on January 20 (the article I’ve posted was from the day beforehand).

https://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/fresh-news-faces-in-seven-heaven/news-story/409197fdaa0e825acfa4a7206129d9e1

The only footage I could find of Downes presenting on Seven was this news update from January 1998 -

2 Likes

Pretty sure she did the odd weekend bulletin replacing Tracy Challenor.

1 Like

She presented Seven/Prime Gold Coast News from April 1998 - September 1999

3 Likes

7 Likes

And for rolling coverage (when required) in Qld, Sharyn Ghidella is head and shoulders above the rest.

3 Likes

Sharyn certainly is at her best in unscripted moments like rolling coverage, for sure! During the recent flooding that was really noticeable, particularly compared to Allison and Jonathan on 9 - they were good but it wasn’t engaging coverage.

6 Likes

Rolling coverage skill is under rated Sharyn is excellent.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Watching 9News Brisbane tonight.
Some observations:
Gary Youngberry, the weather “expert” mispronounced Moranbah and stumbled over Biloela (maybe he was cold haha).
Wally mispronounced “NAIDOC”.
Regular viewers of The Cheap Seats will get this… when Wally crossed to the reporter at Suncorp Stadium the reporter replied with, “They certainly will…” Must be catching :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Wally continues to sing his intros.
Never noticed before, maybe it’s because I’ve not listened to Andrew do a full bulletin before, but he sounds a bit “Prue and Trude”…
Oh, and more of the supermarket savings stuff. Even my elderly father commented it’s the same stories every night. They advertise all day and all through the show, then it’s a “con” (his words). :grinning:

5 Likes

A segue, Paul Taylor style

24 Likes

9News Brisbane promos this morning hyping up the new omicron wave coming. “Demand your 4th jab now”. Interesting, when Qld has the lowest uptake in the country of the 3rd jab.

4 Likes

What is this mic…? :joy:

Just doesn’t have the windsock on it.

3 Likes

Flag very old and small too.

2 Likes