Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Nine News seems to be like an NRL commentary bulletin half the time anyway so it perfectly suits plenty of Sydney viewers :smirk:

An extremely poorly written article. A few comments. Not a very good start when some of the numbers quoted are incorrect. Secondly, you could just as easily analyse Seven and Ten News over the same period and conclude that their ratings have improved. But the worst part is the selective choice of numbers to suit the argument.

Here is just one example:

Results showed a 995,143 daily average for Nine News and a 956,600 daily average for Nine News at 6:30pm. This increased to a daily average of 999,571 and 1,025,600, respectively, the following week.

The “following week” in this case included the public holiday ANZAC day when ratings for all news bulletins were significantly higher than usual.

Also no mention that the first week quoted saw Seven News record its highest ratings result for the year.

4 Likes

The ‘numbers’ they are quoting to support their argument are relatively insignificant too when considering a general upward trend like they are claiming

Here is a very simple graphical representation of 9 News from Thursday 7 April (as mentioned in article) to Thursday 12 May.

This shows the 5-city rating for each night including weekends because these are included in the weekly averages used in the article. The trend-line shown is as produced by Excel.

Seven News is also on the graph for comparison purposes. I feel that Thursday to Thursday gives the fairest comparison.

It’s a pity that something like this wasn’t presented with a conclusion such as “Nine News ratings were not adversely affected by the 60 Minutes scandal.”

Here is a graph for 60 Minutes

3 Likes

How long has 9 News Now been broadcast Live in Perth for?

Last I knew it was still shown there at 3pm AWST, but I noticed this afternoon when checking the live feeds that 9 News Now is broadcast Live in WA from 1pm - 2pm.

Here’s a quick cap I got showing the clock.

3 Likes

It’s been LIVE for the last year or so.

2 Likes

NWS9 Stop and Check graphic from the feeds:

4 Likes

Thanks!
I had no idea.

It’s great to see Nine airing it live in the west!

From a report in Courier Mail today

Nine are rumoured to be looking to grow their presence in regional Queensland.

Confidential hears Queensland director of news Mike Dalton is trying to poach reporters to be based outside of Brisbane.

2 Likes

not just Qld… all over the place.

2 Likes

I daresay it may form part of a resource sharing agreement with SCA?

I wonder if they might target existing SCA journos to fill these roles?

1 Like

…or maybe Nine themselves just might be producing the local bulletins for the SCA affiliates?

Sounds like a PR disaster waiting to happen. I can see WIN and Prime with adverts for their news as the voice of regional and rural Australia with the big city stations taking over your TV - just tweak those Save Our Voices adverts. I think it would be about as popular as 9 News in Perth :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree, although regional networks like WIN and Prime7 are hardly ones to credibly defend “local voices” knowing their conduct in recent years of axing local bulletins and centralising the production/presentation of any remaining services to one or two major hubs, etc.

I think Nine wins the award for biggest watermark!

11 Likes

With discussion of Seven News launching a Gold Coast bulletin, here is a look at what Nine Gold Coast News covered last night - includes the start of each news item, as well as sport, weather, beach and surf. You can see the different reporting styles used. Potential for improvement especially the cross to reporter standing on a balcony (not sure why) that is very often affected by background noise. This seems to be in place of the live crosses seen in capital city bulletins. The weather is usually presented from there as well. (Yes, that is what the opener sounds like.)

5 Likes

Judging by that clip, true competition in local TV news on the Gold Coast really can’t come soon enough…

2 Likes

Seriously I agree. That’s pretty shocking. So flat and dull and static. It’s so formulaic. I fell asleep watching all that. It feels like a new format out of the 80s

The Gold Coast is such a young energetic city. Why don’t they mix it up a bit. Have some weather and surf near the top. Some traffic news for all those commuting on the M1 or waiting for family to get home. Live shots as they go off to break. Bruce is pretty flat and reads so slow

Hopefully seven brings some serious competition

4 Likes

So this is what the other side of the national set looks like:

As seen on tonight’s news.

9 Likes

That looks like the big screen that Tracy sits in front of on ACA now…

4 Likes