Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Is Nine News Sydney no longer captioned? I’ve had it on but haven’t seen any captions in a few days/weeks.

Edit: The weather is captioned but nothing else.

Maybe technical issues? I thought that all free to air networks were legally required to do Closed Captioning on news bulletins?

It’s working for me tonight.
I haven’t seen any issues.

Nine is required to do so, every primary channel is required to provide captions for ALL prime time programs 6pm-12 midnight.

1 Like

I wonder if Nine News will get a make over from July one or thereafter? It’s been a while since they last updated the graphics.

With major affiliation changes on a regional level looming, I personally think that Nine will keep it’s current branding (both in news and generally) mostly intact for at least a few months after the WIN to SCA changeover.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see Nine News receive a branding evolution sometime this year but I think that seems highly unlikely now.

Didn’t ‘ReadItFirst’ say there’d be a relaunch coming a few months ago?

There will be a Nine News special on the 2016 Budget Tuesday 10pm.

GTV News set circa 2003.

8 Likes

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:211, topic:148, full:true”]
I personally think that Nine made the right decision. Definitely from a content perspective too, unlike Seven News Sydney who lead with the news of the Parramatta Eels Salary Cap Breach in the NRL!
[/quote]Anyway, I have never ever liked OB for news bulletins- degrades the rest of the days news, IMO. Obviously I can’t comment on the content but doesn’t Seven News Sydney usually target the western suburbs anyway? Explains why a sports story leads a bulletin (sport stays in sport IMO).

I am a bit surprised that the OB for Nine’s budget special that is on right now isn’t in HD.

I’m not so sure about Nine’s OB equipment but I don’t think that any of Nine’s facilities in Canberra are in HD, hence the always very SD-looking footage on pre-packaged news reports from there.

Yeah I know re Parliament House footage and Laurie Oakes reports that are usually pretty average looking SD.

But it always seems to be OBs that are more likely to be HD given “all” it needs is a HD truck, of which there are plenty around.

Major Errors on Sydney’s Opener:

2 Likes

Yes, there were a few other errors in the Sydney bulletin tonight:

• The lighting on one side of the set went out at one point, meaning one side of his face was very bright and dim on the other side.

• The wrong weather graphic was displayed during the mid bulletin weather update, it had the 7 day outlook graphic when the day’s temps should have appeared.

Other noted, Neil Breen presented sport, and Vicky Jardim presented weather, both of which are unusual.

3 Likes

[quote=“Radiohead, post:360, topic:67”]
Other noted, Neil Breen presented sport, and Vicky Jardim presented weather, both of which are unusual.
[/quote] Looks like the presentation wasn’t the only bad thing of the night. Anyone manage to get a montage of tonights bulletin, please?

I completely forgot, the regular presenters are probably at the Logies!
(Julie Snook was there)

2 Likes

“Size of blaze has double”

10 Likes

Technical difficulties on Morning News today:

3 Likes

Couldn’t help it:

From atching the bulletin both Vicky and Neil were Train wrecks.

2 Likes

An article from Mumbrella that I’m surprised hasn’t been mentioned here yet: https://mumbrella.com.au/9-news-ratings-continue-to-rise-despite-60-minutes-affair-365683

Especially in the Sydney market, I personally believe that one of the reasons that the ratings of Nine News has been on the increase lately (apart from the obvious reasoning of it now getting darker/cooler earlier in the evening as well as the NRL lead-in on Sundays) is because of Seven News’ instability at the moment.

1 Like