Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Still using the old logo also.

Thought I’d throw in my two cents on Nine News Queensland (I was up on the Goldie for the last week).

• I thought the bulletin itself was fine.
  • Probably a bit too much emphasis on the promo-specific story before commercial breaks throughout the bulletin.
  • The promos are shocking. Oh so tabloid. What I did notice though is that the promos are typically about the story played at the end of the bulletin. These same stories are also played at the end of the Melbourne bulletin usually, however how Melbourne promotes these stories is completely different; it doesn’t make it feel like tabloid garbage.
  • Hate the “Weather Wall” name. Call it “Gary’s Weather” etc.
  • Andrew and Melissa are good anchors (I liked the whole team in fact).
4 Likes

With Kay off air, I’ve started to flick over to 9 on weekends lately. To their credit, I think they have toned down the sensationalism from about 5 years ago. Maybe losing forced them to reassess. The promos are still tabloid though.

5 Likes

That “More reporters, more questions” bit of the promo reminded me of a ad which ran on CNNNN (The Chaser program which mocked US cable news) that claimed that no-one else delivered more news than CNNNN because no other network had more news desks than them

1 Like

Channel Nine news story promotion breaches broadcast rules

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has found Nine News Queensland breached broadcasting rules while promoting a news story about firearms in May last year.

The news story related to a decision by Queensland Police to reclassify a new type of semi-automatic weapon, the Wedgetail WT 15 Pistol variant.

Breaches occurred during a promotion which used footage of different models of fully-automatic firearms being fired along with the voice over statement ‘it shoots like a machine gun’, leading viewers to incorrectly think the Wedgetail WT 15 Pistol variant is fully-automatic.

Breaches also occurred during a mid-program “teaser” which included similar voiceover statements.

The ACMA investigation found Nine News Queensland breached the accuracy and impartiality rules contained in the Commercial Television Code of Practice 2015.

ACMA Chair Nerida O’Loughlin said while the news story itself was accurate and impartial the promotion was not.

“Although this is the first time we have seen a breach of the current code for a program promotion, broadcasters should be aware the obligations of accuracy and impartiality apply to both the news story and to its promotional content,” she said.

“The concise edited nature of promos means that broadcasters need to be even more diligent in ensuring compliance with the Code.”

“Broadcasters know the rules and we are disappointed that Channel Nine have let this slip through the cracks.”

Channel Nine will raise the investigation findings with staff, with an emphasis on Code provisions and the ACMA’s position on the operation of those provisions.

“The ACMA has accepted that this is commensurate and appropriate action to avoid future non-compliance,” Ms O’Loughlin said.

2 Likes

Monday 16 March, Tonight

09:00 pm - 09:30 pm NINE NEWS SPECIAL: COVID-19

That means that Footy Classified is moved to 10pm in AFL markets.

UPDATE- bulletin will now run for 30 minutes

Following programs 100% Footy and Footy Classified will now start at 9:30pm

As the world faces the biggest global health issue in more than 100 years, a 9News special presentation at 9.00pm tonight will bring you the very latest developments in the Covid-19 emergency sweeping the planet.

This unprecedented health crisis is changing the way we go about our day-to-day lives in ways that were unimaginable just weeks ago.

Hosted by Peter Overton, our special broadcast will cross to reporters across the nation and around the world to ensure viewers are armed with the latest facts in this rapidly developing situation.

With employees forced to work from home, public gatherings banned and our supermarket shelves devoid of essential items, Australians are enduring deeply troubling times.

9News will break it down and provide you with the facts you need to know to help you continue living your life as normally as possible during this unsettling period.

Updated schedule

3 Likes

Nine will launch a nightly late news bulletin.

16 Likes

But would it be called Nightline, like the good old days? Or just Nine News: Late?

Personally I’d like to see the Nightline brand return. We’ve already seen Sports Tonight be revived on Ten but it’s not the same as it used to be.

8 Likes

Good to see! A little bit of competition doesn’t hurt.

6 Likes

Regional bulletins will be suspended from tomorrow. Resources from these bulletins will be put into the late night news.

7 Likes

And they wont return…

7 Likes

I believe it’s only for a couple of weeks. Will be simply branded 9News.

3 Likes

that’s very strange.

2 Likes

Reporters from the regional bulletins will called upon to metro areas for reporting.

1 Like

Disappointing that the regional bulletins are the thing to give, but given the unpredictable and serious situation with COVID-19, a late night bulletin is arguably a better investment for 9 at this stage. I’ll be interested to see who presents this bulletin - will it be a random presenter in studio 23 like the 5am news, a national Peter Overton bulletin like last night or a state based edition with the regional presenters? I can’t see any reason to suspend regional bulletins unless the talent and behind the scenes crews will be utilised.

3 Likes

With the developments within Channel Nine Sydney of late, it’s a miracle that Nine News Sydney is remaining on-air (rather than 4pm & 6pm becoming combined services for Sydney & Melbourne) let alone the regional bulletins!

1 Like

They should be state based late local news, do it can be more directed to what’s happening locally.

4 Likes

No it’s not, affected staff went into isolation, and things carried on, they’ve been on air all week. Rita Wilson didn’t lick the newsroom/studio.

Just doesn’t make sense to relocate regional staff to the capital cities, you have to put them up somewhere etc, take them away from any responsibilities they have at home. Just seems very strange, not to mention it means they’re not complying with their requirements.

1 Like

The reporters, producers and camera operators, yes. But the control room crews and presenters should, imo, be utilised to present local late bulletins. Most likely we will see a Peter Overton bulletin or one similar to the 5am news though.

Are there any exceptions to the regional news quotas during times of a significant national emergency (not sure if the Coronavirus pandemic would count as one just yet, but it surely has the potential to) that would allow broadcasters to temporarily suspend usual local bulletins in favour of a broader state/national product?

Either way, I wouldn’t mind predicting that Nine haven’t made the decisions to temporarily suspend production of regional & local 4pm news in favour of special late night bulletins based on a whim - there surely would’ve been many discussions in recent days about how they’re going to keep the main metro bulletins on air if any key presenters/reporters (as we should all know by now, there are several particularly at TCN/GTV/QTQ who are over the age of 50 with some even 60+) have to temporarily go into isolation for two weeks.