Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

A rather overdramatic Promo/Update for tonight’s Nine News Queensland which consists entirely of content which if you ask me, would be better suited for A Current Affair:

6 Likes

Old stuff that might be of interest:
Olympic mobile edition:

Feed countdown QTQ:

2013 QTQ Promo:

16 Likes

Long closer on Nine’s First at Five news. Full theme being played.

8 Likes

Monday 9 March-Screenshot_20200309-165558~2

8 Likes

From Nine News a while ago - great video!

1 Like

No address on Brisbane and Regional QLD/NT.

Would be interesting to know who made this decision considering every other competing bulletin has no ability of showing it live in regional.

1 Like

2 Likes

What in the world is a “9 News Call Out”? Are they plumbers now? :joy:

7 Likes

And they’ll charge you a big fat (call out) fee as well!

Pay TV coming to free to air!!

1 Like

It’s used to source story talent on social media if they’ve been affected by a particular story.

Nothing new they had a call out graphic in the previous look.

4 Likes

Latest Nine Brisbane promo

5 Likes

Another horrendous looking promo.

2 Likes

It’s literally using graphics from the last package. Terrible.

3 Likes

You also don’t know if they’re really going to air the news between 9am and 11am like they promised or just postpone it to another day…

1 Like

Local afternoon news following NRL in Queensland

6 Likes

Still using the old logo also.

Thought I’d throw in my two cents on Nine News Queensland (I was up on the Goldie for the last week).

• I thought the bulletin itself was fine.
  • Probably a bit too much emphasis on the promo-specific story before commercial breaks throughout the bulletin.
  • The promos are shocking. Oh so tabloid. What I did notice though is that the promos are typically about the story played at the end of the bulletin. These same stories are also played at the end of the Melbourne bulletin usually, however how Melbourne promotes these stories is completely different; it doesn’t make it feel like tabloid garbage.
  • Hate the “Weather Wall” name. Call it “Gary’s Weather” etc.
  • Andrew and Melissa are good anchors (I liked the whole team in fact).
4 Likes

With Kay off air, I’ve started to flick over to 9 on weekends lately. To their credit, I think they have toned down the sensationalism from about 5 years ago. Maybe losing forced them to reassess. The promos are still tabloid though.

5 Likes

That “More reporters, more questions” bit of the promo reminded me of a ad which ran on CNNNN (The Chaser program which mocked US cable news) that claimed that no-one else delivered more news than CNNNN because no other network had more news desks than them

1 Like

Channel Nine news story promotion breaches broadcast rules

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has found Nine News Queensland breached broadcasting rules while promoting a news story about firearms in May last year.

The news story related to a decision by Queensland Police to reclassify a new type of semi-automatic weapon, the Wedgetail WT 15 Pistol variant.

Breaches occurred during a promotion which used footage of different models of fully-automatic firearms being fired along with the voice over statement ‘it shoots like a machine gun’, leading viewers to incorrectly think the Wedgetail WT 15 Pistol variant is fully-automatic.

Breaches also occurred during a mid-program “teaser” which included similar voiceover statements.

The ACMA investigation found Nine News Queensland breached the accuracy and impartiality rules contained in the Commercial Television Code of Practice 2015.

ACMA Chair Nerida O’Loughlin said while the news story itself was accurate and impartial the promotion was not.

“Although this is the first time we have seen a breach of the current code for a program promotion, broadcasters should be aware the obligations of accuracy and impartiality apply to both the news story and to its promotional content,” she said.

“The concise edited nature of promos means that broadcasters need to be even more diligent in ensuring compliance with the Code.”

“Broadcasters know the rules and we are disappointed that Channel Nine have let this slip through the cracks.”

Channel Nine will raise the investigation findings with staff, with an emphasis on Code provisions and the ACMA’s position on the operation of those provisions.

“The ACMA has accepted that this is commensurate and appropriate action to avoid future non-compliance,” Ms O’Loughlin said.

2 Likes