Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

While I would agree, it just seems weird that they are pulling regional and NBN bulletins off the air all so that they can air one late night bulletin!

3 Likes

There is more to the story.

2 Likes

Its probably a bit of a smokescreen to reduce costs, and with a potential view to permanent changes. Perhaps noodle updates could become the new norm if ratings remain OK.

3 Likes

My source says they are pulling resources to create 2 rotating groups.

5 Likes

There’s no correlation between the two.

Yes. It’s a proactive measure to the Coronavirus.

9 Likes

Well that makes a little more sense :slight_smile:

Surely it’s not just Nine, but all networks which would currently be preparing themselves for the possibility of becoming 24 hour (or near enough to it) news/Coronavirus Update services on at least their main channels?

With the looming cancellation of Sport and other programs suspending production, endless repeats of old programs might be fine for the multichannels but I’m afraid that won’t cut it for the main five.

Yep, I can see that and some other changes in broadcasting that are currently being done in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic becoming permanent.

1 Like

The Nine News Special bulletin is not available on 9Now on my mobile - It states: ‘Currently Unavailable’. All the other Nine channels are streaming fine. Edit: I just tried on my laptop and it’s having the same issue.

2 Likes

24/7 is a bit excessive. Though I can see an instance where there is a bulletin on the hour for every hour with updates.

2 Likes

Was getting the same thing too.

1 Like

Which makes it even more unlikely. With 10 isolating the bulk of office staff to protect the newsrooms, I can’t see 9 adding dozens of staff to metro stations. Would be an extremly stupid move.

1 Like

Comparing the output of 9 News to 10 News is like comparing apples with oranges.

10 has one news bulletin.

2 Likes

so then why have done this??? is it because of convid-19?

1 Like

Which makes it all the more critical to isolate staff and avoid a cluster of potential infectees.

2 Likes

Technically two now, no? Especially since the 6pm one is coded separately.

Yeah, I’m struggling to understand the justification for Nine axing (let’s be blunt here, that’s what they done) all regional bulletins apparently for a few weeks (though I have my doubts about that). It’s a move which shows utter discontent for viewers of those regional bulletins.

If the price of Nine launching a late news bulletin is having no regional bulletins full stop, they shouldn’t be launching said bulletin full stop.

4 Likes

I hope tonight’s bulletin isn’t a prelude to what Nine is planning in the late night news area. It was a standard by the numbers boring bulletin that was dominated by packages that had been seen at least once already during the day. There were 4 live segment including to Canberra but they also seemed to lead into packages. There was one segment that was a series of reports that were all shown on Nine Brisbane at 6pm without any new information. It was like watching a play back of the 6pm news.

2 Likes

I completely agree with @Jeffmister’s post, of course.

ACMA’s regional news/content quotas are an absolute joke across the board, but that rant is for another time and topic.

Same. Especially with the media economy being in a less healthy state than it was in 2017 (not that it was amazing back then, mind you), it wouldn’t overly surprise me if the regions continue to get short local news updates to meet the ACMA quotas even once the coronavirus pandemic is over and the media returns to something vaguely resembling normality.

Let’s be honest, if Nine really cared about regional media they probably would’ve somehow merged the operations of the regional papers & TV news bulletins rather than spinning off/selling ACM.

1 Like

That’s a really really sad reflection on the state of 9 News when a news story that literally changes every second and that’s the best the come up with. Really shameful

They could’ve had satellite discussions and analysis and incorporate some latest updates (with live crosses). It would’ve made the bulletin much more substantial.

Hopefully that’s what they do in future bulletins.

1 Like