News Themes

I meant the haircut ha.

There’s been a difference in the last 20 years between Aus and NZ news themes, Australia lean heavily towards to the traditional - even the Seven News disco mix and upbeat Ten themes - while NZ has been a bit more experimental.

3 Likes

Yep, I agree. Similar deal with graphics/sets too I think - it was only really in the mid-2000s that our news services started producing/airing modern On-Air Presentation packages (more attention to detail made with the titlecards, etc.) after many years of conservative looks.

From an Australian perspective, I could imagine something like that 2003/04 One News theme music working quite well on a younger-skewing news or current affairs show like The Project, The Feed or Behind The News but surely not on one of the more traditional bulletins/programs!

1 Like

Yep, agree. It’s a bit over the top I think.

I don’t completely hate fast and less traditional themes though as I like Seven News 1999-2004 and the current BBC theme, but that’s TOO abstract and fast I think. That theme sounds like i’m at some awful party or something, the replacement is better at executing the balance between class and sounding modern.

1 Like

Re: 2003/04 - as opposed to Tonight, the 6pm bulletin (and Midday) played out the signature after the headlines. It had a good mix of the old and the new that I think separated the focus of Tonight from the other two bulletins.

1 Like

Magic Talk News Intro Long

Magic Talk News Intro Short

Magic Talk Sports Intro

Magic Talk News Headline Bed

Magic Talk Weatherbed

2 Likes

All very understated… I guess that’s what they were going for…

1 Like

It is no secret that Today Tonight Adelaide uses a production track for their theme tune, called A Path To Heaven.

So what’s with this video then? I’ve finally :wink: gotten around to cutting up the part TT uses in their promos and actual programme (e.g. coming up previews, closer) and thrown in some random set shots and promo end cards that I could find :slight_smile:

N.B. The first 30 seconds or so is typically reserved for promos. TT proper usually uses the later parts with the louder strings

10 Likes

I recall a (now-deleted) post in a WIN thread with the link to the full AAN theme. WIN only use the middle section for the bulletin itself, but I forgot the name of the Audio Network piece.

You’ll find it within the AN News/Current Affairs section.

1 Like

Heres some CNN stuff
Enjoy
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B07pI_yFd9C6UFdkZW9pb0RyUUk

2 Likes

Wow. A treasure trove. How did you find all this?

Came across them over the years, there was a website I came across that had a lot of the older 2006/08 ones

4 Likes

This club sound would work well for a Ten late night news or updated Project.

2 Likes

The classiest and most stylish set from CNN ever - in my humble opinion. Timeless. This is the best you can find on YouTube, unfortunately. The bumpers - most of which are nowhere to be found online - were unreal.

1 Like

Another sample of that nice theme:

3 Likes

Could someone record the fast theme Seven are using on the YouTube stream? Really like the sound of it.

1 Like

I think the audio needs to be turned up a notch. Do you have an mp3 version? Would love to hear it.

2 Likes

The live stream theme music playing during ad breaks is amazing!!!

2 Likes

I know right? Just scrolling back over the past 2 hours in the stream.

A Clubbers Guide to… Seven News!

3 Likes