News Themes

This is my favourite by far:

1 Like
4 Likes

Another part of the Sky News 2005 theme thatā€™s rarely heard:

4 Likes

Great upload, thanks for sharing!

Does anybody happen to have the mp3 Nightline theme music from yester-year? I remember on the old forums there was the mp3 but it seems to have been lost I think, for now.

1 Like

Some people love their news themes more than others:

Perhaps we might see some MediaSpies record their own dance tributes to Australian news themesā€¦ imagine @SydneyCityTV or @Jens busting a moveā€¦

1 Like

One long since done (technically a remix but what the heck?) :joy:

2 Likes

A few posts from the TV History thread has me trying to piece this together - just how many news themes did Seven use in the 80s?

Hereā€™s what I can piece together -

Perth 1980 - comment on the video suggests the theme was called ā€˜Royal Routineā€™, but a quick look doesnā€™t turn up any results.

Perth 1980 - Different video, different theme.

Sydney to 1983? and Brisbane to 1986 - Music Only, Brisbane 1983, Brisbane 1986.

Brisbane 1987 - Remixed version of the above theme, seemingly kept through to being replaced with The Mission in 1988.

ā€œIndustry Todayā€ Music Only, Used in Melbourne - 1985 Closer, 1986, 1984 Update; And in Perth ~1985 from compilation video - they mix together clips from a few different eras, including having that theme playing over a Seven Nightly News opener from 88, but presumably this would confirm that Perth for at least some time used this theme.

Adelaide 1986 Update / News Overnight - I think this was an NBC theme, canā€™t find an actual opener from the era to confirm what Adelaide used it for.

Adelaide 1987 - https://youtu.be/lmm5TANxMi4?t=71 - canā€™t hear much of the theme from this, only enough to tell itā€™s different from other ones. I like it from the little bit thatā€™s here.

1983 Sydney - I quite like this one, especially in the use with the countdown clock.

Network except Brisbane? 1986-87 - Melbourne News Update 1987, Sydney Opener 1986, Adelaide promo 1987. I really like this theme, but obviously still nowhere near as good as The Mission.

All stations - The Mission - Sydney 1988, Brisbane 1988, Adelaide 1988, Melbourne 1988, Perth 1990 - though this or similar would have been used in 88.

The main gaps are Perth from 1981 to 1985, confirming what Sydney had from 84 to 86, Adelaide for basically all of it, especially as two of the clips are from 87 and use different themes.

Either way, thatā€™s an awful lot of different themes, other than the relative stability in Brisbane.

4 Likes

I believe it was October 1981 that ATN adopted the Rick Wakeman 1984 Overture-esque theme music. A look through the Google News Archive of SMH editions will find print ads & articles which reference a relaunch that happened around the time Roger Climpson handed over to Ross Symonds.

As for how long that theme remained in useā€¦possibly until around 1984 or 1985 when the theme based on ā€œLetā€™s All Be Thereā€ (which would take them right up until the introduction of The Mission) was launched?

Well I would to my favourites, though I donā€™t know how to dance to most of them -

All vids recorded by me
3 Likes

And some that are sort of trancy that I can kind of get in a different state ā€¦

And then thereā€™s always this

Recorded by me

1 Like

Not a news themeā€¦ but news relatedā€¦

Brian Williams rapping before the ā€œunpleasantnessā€

4 Likes

A bit longer than the one posted here.

10 Likes

Personally, I think a version of that without the piano beats would probably make a great sad/sombre theme.

4 Likes

I always loved this from One News in NZ in 2003/04.

Unfortunately it was probably a little too funky for the more conservative One News viewers and from memory it got dumped after 18 months in the middle of 2004.

(as an aside that was the late news bulletin with Kate Hawkesby and Eric Youngā€¦I thought it was a really good format. Light and shade etc as Nightline on TV3 had been making gains on TVNZā€™s previously just straight forward late news).

That theme replaced this one (used 31 December 1999-early 2003) so you can see how jarring the transition was and perhaps why it lasted just a short time:

Incidentally this was the theme that replaced the 03/04 mix - as youā€™ll hear a bit more traditional: https://youtu.be/LLyj3gA1YDY

4 Likes

Everything about that video is so messy. Her hair, the writing and the music. Not a fan.

All three of those themes are brilliant. I love especially that one from 04/05. The package that followed didnā€™t quite measure IMO.

2 Likes

It was 2003/04. It was the style at the time.

I always liked the ā€œhand of godā€ opener.

The music was a return to a more conservative mix but the graphics and imagery were something new.

3 Likes

Liz Gunn! I hear Mediaworks using her on RadioLIVE/Magic Talk over summer. She has been sounding great!

2 Likes

No it wasnā€™t. Plenty of themes - ie the Ten News theme - were extremely classy and avant-garde at the time.