News Themes

What do you think is the best news theme of all time? What Themes need an update?

2 Likes

7 + 9 both need to update their themes, in my opinion. Remix them!
I still love 10’s current theme, and personally think it is one of their best to date.

2 Likes

In no particular order, these are my favourite themes currently used on Australian TV.

Ten Eyewitness News, composed by Les Gock (September 2013-)
Lateline, composed by David Sharp (March 2015-) - This counts as a news theme, right? :wink:
NBN News, composed by Laurence Schuberth (February 2014-)
ABC News/ABC News 24, composed by Martin Armiger (July 2010-)

I’m also quite partial to the SBS World News themes, both past and present, But both Nine and Seven definitely need to update their news themes, since next year the current themes mixed on both of those respective networks will be eight and (I really hope you’re sitting down for this one) twelve years old respectively.

Of course, keep the main signature tune (we all know what happened when Seven ditched it nearly two years ago!) but surely Seven and Nine’s news themes can be composed in a completely new style while still maintaining a familiar sound?

1 Like

Ten Wake Up Theme

Nine News Special Theme / Shared with Fox News

7 Morning News using the mission

and using NBC Early Today theme

Seven News theme

Seven News theme 2

Sunrise using Today theme

2 Likes

Hearing that Wake Up theme song made me realise how much I missed it, definitely agree that was probably my favourite.

2 Likes

Totally agree with what everyone is saying about Seven and Nine News needing to update their theme music. Les Gock did an amazing job for Ten back in 2013, plenty of emphasis in the right places. Currently, what I think is the best news theme on Australian television right now

Some New Zealand additions

1 Like

Thanks for the uploads, but the ‘1998-2004’ 3 News theme was introduced around 2003 and the ‘2006-2008’ theme came in 2005.

2 Likes

Thanks, i updated it now :smiley:

What about the current Today theme, I’ve never heard it being played in its entirety. It’s a cracker! Wish they’d play it

1 Like

Personally I prefer the 2012-15 or even the 2009-12 Today theme (which the 2012 one was somewhat based on) over the current one.

2 Likes

Here you go. Enjoy.

Also, WIN’s All Australian News theme.

4 Likes

Something I’ve been trying to track down on and off for the past few years, the closing theme for WIN News. Titled ‘Steel’ and composed by Paul Foss. This is just one version of the theme, there is longer and alternate versions, but the part uploaded is specific to WIN News.

8 Likes

Great find mate! :ok_hand:

1 Like

You don’t by any chance have a version of the old (2012) theme music for Today do you. Personally thought that version was way better than the current.

3 Likes

hohohohohoho ohh m8 thanks for that! I’m now going to drop it into some dj sets at parties!

Something I’ve been trying to track down on and off for the past few years, the closing theme for WIN News. Titled ‘Steel’ and composed by Paul Foss. This is just one version of the theme, there is longer and alternate versions, but the part uploaded is specific to WIN News.

The first few phrases sounds like it’s from the 1980s

The things you randomly find on the Internet. :grin: The current theme to Noticiero Univision, a Spanish-language US national news programme.

https://soundcloud.com/yalilguerra/tema-musical-noticiero

3 Likes

Now Defunct TV3 Newsworthy theme

1 Like

This clip also features the 7 News theme

1 Like